Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel

Old Feb 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR:
27,271 miles at time of clutch/flywheel replacement, ~30,400 miles now
stock clutch still functioning perfectly on the street and autocross track
car is daily-driven year-round ~20k miles/year
car competes (and wins) in local autocross events
383whp/375wtq on an AWD DynoJet
stock clutch restrictor pill removed

Initial opinion of Competition Clutch:
Very high; they have a great reputation with the S2000 community and had I kept mine longer (sold at ~47,000 miles, still on stock clutch) I would have purchased the Stage 2.

Competition ST Flywheel:
I noticed quicker free revving and much quicker/smoother rev-match downshifts immediately. It takes a bit quicker footwork on the clutch taking off from a stop, but nothing excessive. I would feel comfortable letting my mother or fiancée drive with this flywheel. Due to decreased idle quality I had to turn my idle up slightly to keep the engine from stalling when coming to a stop. I’m sure this would be a non-issue if I had stock cams. I am excited to try this flywheel on the track next season. If you purchase the flywheel as a kit with a clutch its only $260.

Am I satisfied with this flywheel?: Yes, very much so!
Would I recommend it for purchase?: Yes; great flywheel at a great price.

Competition Stage 3 Kevlar clutch:
When I first got in the car I noticed the pedal pressure was only slightly more than stock; awesome! It could actually be a bit stiffer and I’d be fine with that. Upon my first test-drive I noticed the clutch chattered leaving from a stop but I knew some clutches did this until fully broken-in so I was not concerned. Daily-drivability seemed great; overall smooth engagement and not very harsh. I broke the clutch in for 504 city driven miles keeping the engine out of boost the entire time. Once the clutch was fully broken in the chatter was minimized to a very reasonable level for a daily-driven car. The clutch grabs nice and firm during hard, fast, shifts and has felt great on the few launches I’ve tried just to test it.

Am I satisfied with this clutch?: Yes; nice clutch for a daily-driver and I’m excited to see how it does at autocross.
Would I recommend it for purchase?: Yes; it’s a great option especially considering the price.

Competition Clutch (CCI) flywheel:

Stock Evo IX GSR flywheel:

Competition Clutch (CCI) Stage 3 disc and pressure plate:

Stock Evo IX GSR clutch disc and pressure plate:

When comparing the clutch set weights please remember the stock disc has worn off material and the CCI set still has the bag which is fairly thick plastic around it.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Great write up sir, I'm glad to hear it is still treating you well! Can't wait for some feedback on the Autocross!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Double post!

Last edited by maperformance; Feb 20, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried NLTS with that clutch?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo9tunerz
Have you tried NLTS with that clutch?
Yup, works/holds/grabs perfectly.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

^^Awesome! Sounds like a great clutch for the stock turbo setup.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Car is on the shop being worked on these 2 concepts as of now; should be picking it up tomorrow. That AWD trouble wasn't feeling it on doing, and 350 for it is not bad at all. Oh well... Let's see.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:12 PM

Im going to end up having to replace my clutch and probably flywheel, is this a good setup for a car with minor mods and modest goals?(350 to maybe 400HP) The car is my DD BTW.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cyclonick182
Im going to end up having to replace my clutch and probably flywheel, is this a good setup for a car with minor mods and modest goals?(350 to maybe 400HP) The car is my DD BTW.
Sounds like this setup will match your car perfectly. I daily-drive my car too and am putting down somewhere near the 400whp range. Last time I dyno'd I made 383whp, but I've made a few changes since then
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Sounds like this setup will match your car perfectly. I daily-drive my car too and am putting down somewhere near the 400whp range. Last time I dyno'd I made 383whp, but I've made a few changes since then
How many miles are on your clutch now?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah bumpp..i need a clutch now..started to slip a bit today...im around the 350whp range and drive it EVERYDAY ALOT. hows it holding up ?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have over 10k miles on it so far including 20-25 autocross launches/runs. Its holding up well and has been fine for daily driving. I'm estimating I make around 400whp on an AWD DynoJet. Last time I dyno'd there I was at 383, but I've since retuned and made a few other changes. It takes the fast high-RPM no-lift-to-shifting in stride and grabs fast and firm. Normal driving the clutch is more grabby than stock, but that is to be expected but its plenty easy enough to drive that my fiancee and father have had no issues when they drive the car.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long do you think this clutch should last wit spirited driving few launches and 323wtq?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

The TOB broke and damaged the pressure plate in the process; my car has been down for a week I will say though, Competition really stands behind their product and over-nighted a new clutch assembly since it was their supplied TOB that broke. The clutch is in the process of being installed so it should be back up and running early next week ready for another 500 mile break-in period which sucks, but definitely ok since I got a brand new clutch out of the deal. They're now recommending the use of OEM Mitsu TOB's with 3 wavy washers so keep that in mind when installing a Competition kit.

This clutch should be able to withstand plenty of spirited driving and launches with 323 wtq.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:02 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
3 wavy washers! What is this, a twin-disc?

Can't wait to see this thing back on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel