Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

STANCE Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STANCE Coilover Review

Well here is my impression of a new suspension system to the EVO.

http://stancesus.com/index.php

This is a new coilover systems made in Japan called STANCE. The general specifications are:

15 way adjustable
10k front
8k rear
Camber plates, pillow mounts for the rear and
INVERTED FRONT STRUTS
Rebuidable/replacable strut cartridge
All for around $1295. I got it for a bit less...

Yes a coilover system that has inverted struts for under $1500. I think for people looking at Megan or Apex or other budget coilovers might want to look at these if that feature is important to you. Not taking away from the other systems, but a good set up coilover system should be ok if set up properly.

Initial impressions

My cars specs so you could base line it:
Running stock rims on 255/40/17 Falken RT-615 (About 6k on the tires including 2 track days)
Camber 1.5 neg front, 1.0 neg back.
Toe: 0.01 LF, 0.01 RF, 0.07 LR, 0.06 RR
Caster: 3.2LF. 3.0RF

The car was lowered 1 inch all the way around. I am not driving a full on race car and like many of us, we all have to contend with things like speed bumps and driveways. Besided on 17"rims the slammed look does not look good. I wanted a more conventional balance look with enough travel to handle what the street could throw at me.

This is also the first time I pushed the camber more agressive than ever before. But I feel due to my long freeway runs, that 1 degree up front should have been better for overall tire ware.

Handling:
With the camber more agressive up front, some steering response is a bit less or should I say a bit lighter. The best part about this is the ride and the cornering capabilities. Some might know about the 101 to 280 north bound in San Jose. Its a long left hand onramp that when the traffic is clear can test the cornering capabilities of cars. When the car was new and stock, I was pushing 90mph. But even when I did it, there was a hint of body roll and a bit of a push.
That is all but gone. The car conrners great with zero or little body roll. Infact I am not tossed out of the seat due to leaning of the car in the turns but due to the g-load I am feeling in the car.

Ride:
I believe the right term to describe the stock suspension is undersprung and overdampened. My car has had the stock suspension for over 56,000 miles. Needless to say after 2 HPDE and daily driving, the stock shocks were getting soft. Infact I had a lot of body roll when I went to the last track even.
Well right now the stiffness is set to 6 all the way around. Infact this setting is almost perfect for agressive street driving and daily driving. There is no body roll and the car turns a flick of the wrist with very neutral handling with no push unless you open up the throttle hard.

But the ride is great. The damper soaks up small little jarring bumps that was the bain of the stock suspension. It does not beat you up. Its still stiff when you need it for cornering but soft in the right places. Meaning the springs and dampers are a good match. I still have to try the other settings. I am sure they will be good.

I chose this system because of the value being close to the budget coilover systems but its more in the midrange like the Buddyclubs or Tein. For the price and the features, it rivals the others without the cost.

Pic before installation:

Enjoy!
Old Feb 20, 2006, 03:56 PM

any kinds of noises? or clunking or anything with these guys? looking at them for my wrx...
Old Feb 20, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

they seem like a nice choice, keep us updated
Old Feb 20, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

man how come not a lot of coilovers doesnt have the brackets forthe brake line and abs

looks badass tho man
Old Feb 20, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how much did you pay for them and from where?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Nice writeup. I was interested in these a little while ago. Theyre still on my list of coilovers i want.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyfong
how much did you pay for them and from where?
I ordered them directly from Stance for $1195. That could have been a sale price but I was not sure. The MSRP was $1295. See the link in the first part of the thread for the website. Also they are right in your backyard in IL.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

man...i wish i wouldve seen these before i bought my ksports....not that the ksports arent good...just that these seem even spiffier...
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome! Keep us updated!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Any pics of the installed product?

EDIT- If you happen to have literature from STANCE or dont mind measuring, are these 60mm ID coils or are they 2.5" ID?

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 21, 2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Bump for review?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Bump for review?
+1
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:12 PM

I bought the evo coilovers directly from Stance, after hearing good reviews from my 240sx friends. I had tein springs with stock shocks, which lasted few months before the shocks went out.

The build quality is excellent, the brackets are super beefy. Install was a breeze, the brake lines had to be ziptied since it didn't have the brackets, but no big deal. The coilovers can go another inch lower in the front and back, so plenty of adjustment.

I have ridden in friends evo with tein flex. Stance definitely feels less bouncy and more controlled. It feels stiff but it doesn't really feel bad at all. It even feels more comfortable than stock. The valving on these are very good, I had to take a 3hr trip day after the install and my gf didn't know I had new coilovers on the whole trip!

Cornering is so much improved from the Tein springs. No more understeer. Bodyroll is non existent now. I can actually get it little sideways into a 4wheel drift. Car feels so much more fun to drive now.

Overall I'm very impressed with the purchase. Def best bang for the buck.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:21 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

HOLY SLAMMED!

scrape much?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

THat thing is DUMPED !!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: STANCE Coilover Review