Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Horrible South Coast experience (long)

Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, their defense for Sam is that he sells between 20-50 cars a month or something to that extent and somehow that's a good enough excuse to forget some important things like a simple "hey remember you still have to pay CA sales tax if you're picking it up."

Yeah, legato, that's exactly why I had to pay it. I couldn't understand why they refused to do anything on their end to help out the situation without spending an hour arguing, and then not doing anything to make me feel better about my experience with them. It's like getting accidentally punched in the face and then the person who punched you refusing to get you an ice pack.

Last edited by Frankiago; Sep 16, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is simply the dealership not doing their job (if the story happened like you said it did). There is no excuse for this ineptitude on a $30,000 purchase.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

thats some story.... now i will think twice about flying across the country to get an evo... or any car for that matter.

good heads up!

good luck getting your $2400 back..
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks to hear bro.

I was considering an EVO X from South Coast as well because of their deals but I don think so anymore. I'm glad I have read this.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Well, keep in mind I wouldn't have had the CA sales tax issue had I gotten the car shipped. I still would've had the horribly stressful day when they lead me to believe my car was being shipped somewhere while I was in the middle of the ocean...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

^ I don't think the dealers are that dumb anyway shipping the car out to some unconfirmed destination, specially if you didn't pay in full cash up front. But I'm glad it got sorted out (to some degree) and you got your X. I would have also done the same thing you did, picking up the car personally if buying out-of-state, but I would never have paid $2K+ to DMV till I'm absolutely sure if it was necessary.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
I would never have paid $2K+ to DMV till I'm absolutely sure if it was necessary.
I really don't get where you're going with this... I was absolutely sure sales tax had to be paid on a car that had no sales tax paid... that part was as clear as day. As to which state? I thought IL since I'd be driving it, insuring it and registering it in IL (made sense to me), and did not think for a second I'd be paying CA sales tax.

Also, the delivery thing... at the time I was mistakenly told it was shipped out, the car was financially complete on their end, meaning they already had their money for it. The only things left were paying a shipping company to deliver the car and proof of sales tax being paid.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
I was absolutely sure sales tax had to be paid on a car that had no sales tax paid... that part was as clear as day. As to which state? I thought IL since I'd be driving it, insuring it and registering it in IL (made sense to me), and did not think for a second I'd be paying CA sales tax.
Sorry if my post was a little confusing, but this is what I meant (in bold). I know you always have to pay sales tax when buying a car, but you should have confirmed first to Sam if you are paying through him or through IL-DMV. I've had a somewhat related situation before where I bought a salvaged car and it didnt' have a title yet. The bodyshop where I bought it from didn't charge me any sales tax so I thought... cool, less money for me to pay upfront. Then I went to DMV for registration expecting to pay the tax there for the salvage title application, turns out I am not suppose to pay DMV the sales tax and was told that it was the bodyshop's responsibility to pay DMV sales tax. LOL, I ended up saving over 300 bucks. Let DMV and that bodyshop sort it out, and I get to keep my cash. What I'm trying to point out is, keep your money in the wallet, only let it out if they (dealer or DMV) demand for it. Dunno if it applies to everyone, but so far it has worked for me.

Also, the delivery thing... at the time I was mistakenly told it was shipped out, the car was financially complete on their end, meaning they already had their money for it. The only things left were paying a shipping company to deliver the car and proof of sales tax being paid.
Ahh I see. That was dumb of SC to call you that they shipped it out without your confirmation.

Last edited by tipoytm; Sep 16, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that must just be Cali lol. I bought my evo 8 in Philly last year and i flew up there and put 1000 down on it and finance though them and they sent me a check for 1000 back. i did not pay any of philly sales tax came home to LA and payed here. Must just be a cali thing. how do you get it registered if you paid in CA and live in IL if you dont go though dmv??? they contact them i guess and handle everything and send you plate just like if you got it in IL??
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Well, their defense for Sam is that he sells between 20-50 cars a month or something to that extent and somehow that's a good enough excuse to forget some important things like a simple "hey remember you still have to pay CA sales tax if you're picking it up."

Yeah, legato, that's exactly why I had to pay it. I couldn't understand why they refused to do anything on their end to help out the situation without spending an hour arguing, and then not doing anything to make me feel better about my experience with them. It's like getting accidentally punched in the face and then the person who punched you refusing to get you an ice pack.
hahah yeah thats a good analogy! i'd say they should put a disclaimer in their advertisements they post in the forums...

that way out-of-state buyers know exactly what they need to do in order to buy from said dealer...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by legato
that way out-of-state buyers know exactly what they need to do in order to buy from said dealer...
They mail you a paper that gives all required steps when buying from out-of-state and having it shipped. No such info when buying from out of state and picking it up in person.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

So who will be refunding you the double charged sales tax? CA or IL?

It sounds as if buying from SCM (or any california dealer) from out of state, it's best just to get it shipped.

Last edited by funks; Sep 16, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

if you would like to get a car anahiem mitsubishi will ship out of state and beat south coast pricing please pm me if you want details
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracr
if you would like to get a car anahiem mitsubishi will ship out of state and beat south coast pricing please pm me if you want details
I bought my Wife's X from Anaheim mitsu past January (got a better trade in deal). Just be careful because they charge you 550$ for that BS "Express Care Protection for Paint , Fabric, Leather) and they wouldn't let me opt out of it (didn't want it). When I bought my 9, Norco Mitsubishi did similar BS with the "PermaSeal Tire Protection".

Next time I buy a car, it will be from SCM (that is if they decide to start selling M3's later on - lol) - no monkey business involved. The owner of Anaheim Mitsubishi was nice though.

SCM is still the best IMHO in SoCal but it's too bad Steve left their parts department for Anaheim (if you wanted something ordered, he knew what it was and got the right part everytime). SCM still has the best prices on OEM parts though, can't beat that 30% discount (which is even better than MitsubishiParts.net).

Last edited by funks; Sep 16, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I went through a similar thing with Sam. Guy never got back to me or answered emails, dragged on for weeks, I think he sold the car locally and stalled me out, so I used their price and got a MR in jersey. I was so pissed at the time, Sam treated me like a piece of shiiiit.

did u get your cash back from illinois

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horrible South Coast experience (long)