Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tirado Custom Coatings - Ceramic Coatings - TESTED!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Tirado Custom Coatings - Ceramic Coatings - TESTED!

Info deleted from evom.

Sorry - been moved to another site.

=)

Last edited by xRoguex; Nov 17, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good info... thanks
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great test, thanks for doing it. Good to see how much of a difference it makes. I might have to get this done.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
Great test, thanks for doing it. Good to see how much of a difference it makes. I might have to get this done.
I was just curious if it was a gimic... Did my money really do anything for me.. etc

I would say - it certainly did.

I want to get specs from the CAS from both cars to see just how much heat it gets.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Carlos does an awesome job with powder coating and ceramic coating. he has done alot of work for me and our customers. From Subaru Headers, IC piping ect. Evo and dsm valve covers, piston tops ect.

Thanks Carlos!

Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:18 PM
CMB
Evolving Member

Nice coatings and great test! Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:39 PM

xRoguex

Props to a well documented test. However, and this is based on experience with Jet Hot coated parts. Try and run the test after a heat soaking WOT pull, more like 15-20 minute drive. You will find out that the coating gets completely heat soaked.

I helped installed this particular coating on a friends EVO IX. I am neither impressed by the coating, its ability to bond better than a cheap paint, or its ability to stop heat soak during WOT and normal driving.

I run Jet Hot ceramic coating on my DSM and the heat soaking is enough of a problem to skyrocket my intake temps out of control after a 10 minute drive. Swaintech coating is another thing entirely and I would recommend it 100 times over this "paint" that this vendor sells.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:41 PM
Former Sponsor

I have always been very impressed with all pf Carlos' work!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:13 AM

It doesn't take much to impress you then. I chipped his painted coating multiple times on install on an area that should have been abrasive blasted and that coating bubbled up on an inside exhaust runner ruining the careful port work I did. They look good in person which I will agree to, nothing more than that. I could easily apply this same paint at my house frankly as I see no evidence of anything used to bond this coating. In fact, I purposely used a 120 grit sanding flap wheel to help bond this coating, since I knew it was a paint to begin with.

The powder coating in the other pics looks good. I just in general do not agree with the hype of these ceramic paints and that includes Jet Hot which is more of a plated type cerametallic. They are just a good way to keep exhaust components clean and non-rusting and thats about it.

Please put your stock heatshields back on if you want any underhood temperature control, no ceramic paint can compete with a heatshield and an insulating still-air gap.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pboglio
It doesn't take much to impress you then. I chipped his painted coating multiple times on install on an area that should have been abrasive blasted and that coating bubbled up on an inside exhaust runner ruining the careful port work I did. They look good in person which I will agree to, nothing more than that. I could easily apply this same paint at my house frankly as I see no evidence of anything used to bond this coating. In fact, I purposely used a 120 grit sanding flap wheel to help bond this coating, since I knew it was a paint to begin with.

The powder coating in the other pics looks good. I just in general do not agree with the hype of these ceramic paints and that includes Jet Hot which is more of a plated type cerametallic. They are just a good way to keep exhaust components clean and non-rusting and thats about it.

Please put your stock heatshields back on if you want any underhood temperature control, no ceramic paint can compete with a heatshield and an insulating still-air gap.

I am a..... no holds bar'd.. consumer..

frankly... if his **** failed... i would have asked for my money back..

his job was to perform a .... service.. based on his .... word..

the price for the word was right.

i have no reason to validate his claim with testing..

but i did...

its my money.... how is it being put to the test.. is my business..

as for how it compares to swain tech... some one needs to test swain tech... personally before and after LIKE I DID...

as far as I am concerned... if carlos got not ONE more dollar of mine.. id be fine...

but based on his word.. and his performance... he will.

thats how you earn future sales..
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pboglio
xRoguex

Props to a well documented test. However, and this is based on experience with Jet Hot coated parts. Try and run the test after a heat soaking WOT pull, more like 15-20 minute drive. You will find out that the coating gets completely heat soaked.

I helped installed this particular coating on a friends EVO IX. I am neither impressed by the coating, its ability to bond better than a cheap paint, or its ability to stop heat soak during WOT and normal driving.

I run Jet Hot ceramic coating on my DSM and the heat soaking is enough of a problem to skyrocket my intake temps out of control after a 10 minute drive. Swaintech coating is another thing entirely and I would recommend it 100 times over this "paint" that this vendor sells.
1. Do you have any data to back up your "conclusions"?

2. WOT Pulls? This 750hp evo from JMS racing in San Antonio Tx runs our ceramic coating, I've been there in person to witness temps after pulls to see just how well the ceramic works.

3. I don't appreciate you coming on here and calling me out like this considering I'm not a vendor on this forum AND the fact that neither you nor your friend contacted me prior to this to resolve any issues you guys might have had.

4. Sending an email to your friend right now, as he never told me he was having issues. I will have another post once I verify who it is that I'm dealing with.

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
I have always been very impressed with all pf Carlos' work!
Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Some stuff Carlos did for me and I owe him beer for

Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Here are the emails that were exchanged with the customer, I'm not going to argue but show what I know and what the customer knew. I was never contacted by anybody to let me know that there were problems with heat soaking etc.

ME: Shipping total: $XX.XX, this includes insurance for $400 in the event that anything is damaged.
50% due: $XXX

Total due: $XXX.XX

FedEx tracking number: -----
PayPal: payment@tiradocustomcoatings.com

Thanks for your business!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04894.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04895.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04896.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04897.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04898.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04900.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04901.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04902.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04904.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC04905.jpg

Customer: Hello Carlos,

I got the parts on friday. The hotside and manifold were a little banged up. The hotside had some ceramic coating missing, not too big of a deal but the manifold is the one that worries me. The flange has some coating missing but there is also a dent in one going from the outside of the flange to almost the inside to the port. I'm getting ready to install parts on friday but I'm worried that I will have an exhuast leak. Here are some pics, let me know what you think. I'm going to make a post on evom to see if I should go ahead and install the manifold, don't worry I won't say where it got coated. I know it is not your fualt it got damaged, just wanted to see what you think.

Thanks

ME: I am so sorry about this.
Since it's a very thin coating, hitting it against something will cause the coating to come off.
What I would honestly recommend is filing a claim with FedEx, whether it's going to leak or not.
This is exactly why shipping insurance was purchased with your shipping.

FedEx needs to take care of this, as it was packaged very very well and should have had zero damage.
Let me know if you want to file the claim, and I can take care of it.

Sorry again about the inconvenience.

Customer: Can you tell me what is the process of filing a calim. What exectly will happen? I need ot put these parts in on friday, but will probablly end up getting the exhaust mani fixed (weld the dent: and recoat couple month from now. Will having sufficiant pics of the damage be good enough to get some money back? Never filed a calim so I have no idea what to do here.

Thanks
Matt

ME: Matt,

Best thing you can do is give FedEx a call and explain what happened.
I believe they will have to pick up the parts/box to inspect them but I'm not 100% sure.
This way you can schedule a pick up when your available.

If you would prefer I call them just let me know:
1.800.GoFedEx
Tracking number:-----
Insurance: $400
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Is Carlos a member here?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Is Carlos a member here?
yeah he is posting as CT78155

Quick Reply: Tirado Custom Coatings - Ceramic Coatings - TESTED!