Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

My Experience with SPEC Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have the time to pursue legal action. For what.. $500.00. In the end.. if this causes them to pull this clutch off the shelf and fix the design flaws.. then we will all win. My bet is that they wont change the clutch... or they will change the offset and say " here.. we fixed it.." and sell to some poor sap @ $1400.00 to test it for them.

-Rob
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I would love to see SPEC's response to this thread. I was just looking at a SPEC Super Twin in the "for sale" thread. Lets just say I won't be putting in any offers... On a side note, I'm patiently waiting for the release of the new Quartermaster
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I was looking at that new QM too... MAP is going to carry that ( i think). I just couldn't wait for it to come out. I need to get this car up and running.

On a side note.. there really isn't much that SPEC can say that I haven't said already.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

dont hold your breath on spec helping you with your parts......ive been waiting over 6 months....and still nothing, i ended up buying a new transmission.......had a similar issue....may post pics later!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
wow

for a few months there, spec seemed like teh clutch to go with
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPECJUNK
dont hold your breath on spec helping you with your parts......ive been waiting over 6 months....and still nothing, i ended up buying a new transmission.......had a similar issue....may post pics later!
I find this guys name funny.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WickedWhtMR
I dont have the time to pursue legal action. For what.. $500.00.
I doubt that legal action is worthwhile but did your mechanic do 2 or 3 r/r's on your tranny for free? I just had it done on my X and it wasn't chump change.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
I doubt that legal action is worthwhile but did your mechanic do 2 or 3 r/r's on your tranny for free? I just had it done on my X and it wasn't chump change.
Nothing is free... $500.00 a pop.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor

can one of you guys get a picture of the other side of the clutch plate that stripped the splines? the offset looks really odd on the disk, and the fact that only half the disk is using splines seems even more weird.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
can one of you guys get a picture of the other side of the clutch plate that stripped the splines? the offset looks really odd on the disk, and the fact that only half the disk is using splines seems even more weird.
This is the side that faces the transmission/floater plate.

Name:  IMG_3619.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  145.4 KB

This is the side that faces the flywheel.

Name:  IMG_3620.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  130.6 KB

Hope this helps
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

oh ****
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

it looks like the plate was installed backwards to me. usually the offset section faces the transmission. your pictures show it backwards. thats possibly also why the rivets broke off on the other plate, and why your splines are stripped, but only 2/3 down the plate. i can't say for certain because i have never installed a spec clutch before, but if it were any other clutch (exedy, QM, ACT, HKS etc...) it definately would have been installed incorrectly.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
it looks like the plate was installed backwards to me. usually the offset section faces the transmission. your pictures show it backwards. thats possibly also why the rivets broke off on the other plate, and why your splines are stripped, but only 2/3 down the plate. i can't say for certain because i have never installed a spec clutch before, but if it were any other clutch (exedy, QM, ACT, HKS etc...) it definately would have been installed incorrectly.
i suppose its possible, but the unit doesn't fit correctly if you get that wrong. And there are stickers on all of the discs to make sure that you don't do that. Now that I think about it, if you got the second disc in backwards, I doubt it would even engage on the input shaft.

*******it, I *just* got done putting one of these in my car, after the V1 P-trim ate ****. along with a fresh from buschur transmission.

I think I'm going to go throw up.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting thread...anyway, sorry to hear all your trouble.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by linuxman51
i suppose its possible, but the unit doesn't fit correctly if you get that wrong. And there are stickers on all of the discs to make sure that you don't do that. Now that I think about it, if you got the second disc in backwards, I doubt it would even engage on the input shaft.

*******it, I *just* got done putting one of these in my car, after the V1 P-trim ate ****. along with a fresh from buschur transmission.

I think I'm going to go throw up.

exactly. if it fit correctly, does a normal clutch shear the rivets off and strip the splines? maybe spec is putting the stickers on incorrect for which side faces the tranny and which the flywheel.

Quick Reply: My Experience with SPEC Clutch