Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Reviews of parts and the general value of them on EvoM...

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Good idea, here is what I think a good review should contain at a minimum:

Part (and part number if available)
Purchase price (actual purchase price DO NOT include shipping and any other expense involved this should be if I walked in with cash, what would I have paid)
Purchased from (vendor, private party, shop etc)
Shipping cost (shipping and handling)
Core required?
Condition (new or used, miles if known or track days if a specific enough part)
Condition or experience before install (ie brake squeal, tires bald, clutch slipping etc)
Ease of install on a 1 to 10 scale (this will be subjective, I think a clutch is a 4 but time consuming, others would think a clutch is an 8 because of a lack of experience or tools)
miles since install (required that break in is over before writing a review!!!)
positives (subjective to end user)
negatives (same as above)
BRIEF narrative on thoughts of quality, things that could make it better, what made you decide to buy this part as opposed to vendor X's similar part.

Once someone submits a review it would be nice if it could be locked so only that person or a mod or admin could add to it. That way you avoid the flaming and bashing that goes on or "discussions" that some vendors have with each other in peoples threads. Also this would allow the OP to come back periodically and post updates that could be easily found without trying to read 17 pages of stuff like "nice" or "that looks awesome" or "CBRD FTW!!" (I like CBRD BTW) If someone like Toxin or myself or another moderator would be willing to review the posts in a section like this it would make for an awesome tool for people. Let me know if I can help.

Josh
More good points.

I leave prices out on purpose, different vendors/prices. Unless it was from one specific vendor, I give no price. That allows for the consumer to search for it if he/she wants the product.

I don't think they should be locked, then no one can comment. But we can create a discussion thread like the How-To Forum.

The only problem I have with this is it is not an Evo Parts review on EvoM. Some will say it is a general part that won't change with model, make, year etc etc but lets look at the differences in the two cars.

Focus
LIGHT WEIGHT- big difference there will make even slight braking/suspension/traction improvements seem more noticable
FWD another biggie
hatch not important
blue oval- ugh LOL
smaller rims and tires- doesn't seem important but you know as well as I do that unsprung weight makes a huge difference as well as lever arm factor on the size of rims and tires.

Not saying that other brands can't make beneficial reviews of a vendor or specific product category but if it isn't being reviewed on an Evo on EvoM what is the point?

Josh
Now now, I've done a dozen Evo related reviews. And I disagree, if the part is available for the Evo, then the review is relevant...that and the Focus forums are terrible.

Its not much lighter. But I was reviewing the pad characteristics. FWD does not matter for braking.

My thread is a jumping off point for people to comment on the pads.

Last edited by Smike; May 30, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
More good points.

I leave prices out on purpose, different vendors/prices. Unless it was from one specific vendor, I give no price. That allows for the consumer to search for it if he/she wants the product.

I don't think they should be locked, then no one can comment. But we can create a discussion thread like the How-To Forum.

Now now, I've done a dozen Evo related reviews. And I disagree, if the part is available for the Evo, then the review is relevant...that and the Focus forums are terrible.

Its not much lighter. But I was reviewing the pad characteristics. FWD does not matter for braking.

My thread is a jumping off point for people to comment on the pads.
Creating a discussion thread would be an excellent idea.

Sorry if my comment was taken out of context, I was just bustin your *****, I have read and often use for reference, your reviews of Evo suspension, tires, brakes.

One point we can agree to disagree on is if it's available for the Evo then it is relevant. Center Force clutches worked great on my Cavalier but I would never think of putting one on the Evo.

I greatly appreciate the civil matter in which you deal with things on this forum, I can't speak for other make car forums but you still have my full respect.

Josh
Old May 30, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i agree almost 100%. where i disagree is on the tires statement. i run the michelin pilot sport all season tires are very good imo and i am all about spirited driving and do it 2 out of 3 times i drive my car since i live on backroads. i also autox my car several times over the summer while my car is in stock form (i do put the stock cat on for stock class) and run the same times as local evo's that have full exhausts and intakes and run summer performance tires.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
i agree almost 100%. where i disagree is on the tires statement. i run the michelin pilot sport all season tires are very good imo and i am all about spirited driving and do it 2 out of 3 times i drive my car since i live on backroads. i also autox my car several times over the summer while my car is in stock form (i do put the stock cat on for stock class) and run the same times as local evo's that have full exhausts and intakes and run summer performance tires.
Driver mod has been uploaded to your seat! LOL I'm sure he's not saying there are not good all season tires, just that if you are looking for absolute driving on the edge grip, all season tires really don't get it done. If they did then the race cars would be running them. Not that some people don't race with all season tires.

Josh
Old May 30, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i have been less than impressed with my et500's. dust helllo! doesn't stop well until u warm then a bit. but after that they stop ok. and i am sure i have experienced less fade than with the stock pads
Old May 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Freddie and 0xDEAD, what would you guys add to or take from the review examples listed above? You spend a good bit of time on this forum and I'm sure have seen your share of crappy or "premature expectation" reviews.

Josh
I don't think it really needs to be on a set template, as long as the review has RELEVANT and UNBAIASED opinions on one specific product or service after at least the product has been broken it, or you have had time to experience real world expectations with pros and cons.

The only premature review that I jumped on here was the craptastic RB ET500 pads... I swapped them in favor of the project Mus I had on there previously... not a good choice. The RB ET500 pads have crappy initial bite when cold, and they dust like a cheap autozone pad with a ghey rust colored hue. About 3 days after a wash and wheel clean, it looks like my brakes are used to cut bricks... seriously...

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; May 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
I don't think it really needs to be on a set template, as long as the review has RELEVANT and UNBAIASED opinions on one specific product or service after at least the product has been broken it, or you have had time to experience real world expectations with pros and cons.

The only premature review that I jumped on here was the craptastic RB ET500 pads... I swapped them in favor of the project Mus I had on there previously... not a good choice. The RB ET500 pads have crappy initial bite when cold, and they dust like a cheap autozone pad with a ghey rust colored hue. About 3 days after a wash and wheel clean, it looks like my brakes are used to cut bricks... seriously...
lmfao how do u compare them to stock though? and smike if ur reading what pads do u recommend
Old May 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie

I think there needs to be a template... Or atleast guidlines with certain points that need to be included in the review.

To the last poster - Smike recommends Axxis Ults for daily driving or EBC Yellow Stuff. For track use there's a whole lot of options but def. different pads

Last edited by Toxin; May 31, 2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
/signed
Old May 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
lmfao how do u compare them to stock though?
The stock pads had pretty good initial bite but they did dust a lot. The ET500s dust about as much as the stocks do, but just a different color...

Originally Posted by Toxin
I think there needs to be a template... Or atleast guidlines with certain points that need to be included in the review.
I will agree with the guidelines 100%

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; May 30, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Fast_Freddie;8356598]The stock pads had pretty good initial bite but they did dust a lot. The ET500s dust about as much as the stocks do, but just a different color...

[QUOTE=Toxin;8356123]

I will agree with the guidelines 100%
what about in terms of fade cause i had issues with that on the stockers and i think thats the only redeeming quality of the et500's
Old May 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

The RBs were starting to fade when I did a little "spirited' driving on backroads out in the country...
Old May 30, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Most "reviews" based on consumer use are pointless. Everyone has their own opinion and even different experiences. It's all relative.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joemflsxe
Most "reviews" based on consumer use are pointless. Everyone has their own opinion and even different experiences. It's all relative.
Very true, especially when it comes to cars because people have different driving habits and different ideas of what driving hard is. Plus there is a difference in driving hard and beating the **** outta your car in my opinion.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

^^ this the reason i was asking about their individual experience with the pads.

Quick Reply: Reviews of parts and the general value of them on EvoM...