Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Reviews of parts and the general value of them on EvoM...

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
soooooo, you can't post a negative review, and now people get mad for posting reviews on a product that may work for one, but not all. while i agree that the guys that shout "get a twin dikk" clutch for anything gets annoying, the name brand ****** are just as bad. a review is based on a personal experience and opinion, not if everyone agrees with it or even likes the product. and not everyone is gonna wait 5 years to post an experience with a product.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heavens turbo
soooooo, you can't post a negative review, and now people get mad for posting reviews on a product that may work for one, but not all. while i agree that the guys that shout "get a twin dikk" clutch for anything gets annoying, the name brand ****** are just as bad. a review is based on a personal experience and opinion, not if everyone agrees with it or even likes the product. and not everyone is gonna wait 5 years to post an experience with a product.
I like a bad review much more than a good review that's misleading in the end. Fact of the matter is that there's people here who can't drive yet review coilovers and pads for track use... But when someone tells you "I used Ferodo DS2500 at the track and they held up just fine" it automatically means that any review about handling/brakes related done by that person is useless. DS2500's can't hold up to a track when driven properly. And that's exactly what this topic is about. There's too many reviews of parts that can make you beleive something is good or atleast acceptable while in reality it's not.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
I like a bad review much more than a good review that's misleading in the end. Fact of the matter is that there's people here who can't drive yet review coilovers and pads for track use... But when someone tells you "I used Ferodo DS2500 at the track and they held up just fine" it automatically means that any review about handling/brakes related done by that person is useless. DS2500's can't hold up to a track when driven properly. And that's exactly what this topic is about. There's too many reviews of parts that can make you beleive something is good or atleast acceptable while in reality it's not.
true, but that is your experience with those pads. you may be in totally different conditions than where the other guys are at. i'm not defending ferodo by any means, (i don't have nor have ran those pads), but the other guy may have had very good success with those pads. it's a total crapshoot when you go with whatever parts you go with, no matter how many reviews there are. take the ACT threads here. it's 50/50, with guys saying it's the best clutch, and the other half that get locked out everytime they shift. should the guy with the good experience not post a review? i bought a works turboback based on some reviews here, but it wasn't the best turboback i could've had. (the downpipe is **** though). more info on reviews would be nice, but not everyone is that thourogh. (conditions, use, price, customer service, etc.)
i'm not being argumentative, because you do have some valid points toxie, but you can't censor reviews because you think the product sucks. all you caan do is counter post in that thread.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
true, but that is your experience with those pads. you may be in totally different conditions than where the other guys are at. i'm not defending ferodo by any means, (i don't have nor have ran those pads), but the other guy may have had very good success with those pads. it's a total crapshoot when you go with whatever parts you go with, no matter how many reviews there are. take the ACT threads here. it's 50/50, with guys saying it's the best clutch, and the other half that get locked out everytime they shift. should the guy with the good experience not post a review? i bought a works turboback based on some reviews here, but it wasn't the best turboback i could've had. (the downpipe is **** though). more info on reviews would be nice, but not everyone is that thourogh. (conditions, use, price, customer service, etc.)
i'm not being argumentative, because you do have some valid points toxie, but you can't censor reviews because you think the product sucks. all you caan do is counter post in that thread.
No I think you misunderstood me a bit. I'm all up for as many reviews as possible. But there should be an official forum for reviews either by part type or by brand(that would probably work since a lot of people think about brand before they think about what they really need). The idea is to have as many QUALITY reviews as possible.

You had a great experience with RB ET500? Share it! Great. But let me know what kind of conditions you drive in.

You getting locked out at the track with the ACT? Above how many RPM? Always? Really? What other mods do you have? Who installed your clutch? Did they use the alignment tool to set it up properly?

I hope you understand where I'm going with this. Either good review or bad review, doesn't matter... But reviews like previously mentioned CBRD FTW! don't really contribute much to someone who likes to do some research before purchasing.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
No I think you misunderstood me a bit. I'm all up for as many reviews as possible. But there should be an official forum for reviews either by part type or by brand(that would probably work since a lot of people think about brand before they think about what they really need). The idea is to have as many QUALITY reviews as possible.

You had a great experience with RB ET500? Share it! Great. But let me know what kind of conditions you drive in.

You getting locked out at the track with the ACT? Above how many RPM? Always? Really? What other mods do you have? Who installed your clutch? Did they use the alignment tool to set it up properly?

I hope you understand where I'm going with this. Either good review or bad review, doesn't matter... But reviews like previously mentioned CBRD FTW! don't really contribute much to someone who likes to do some research before purchasing.

ah. now i see where you are going with this.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:41 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Eric Hsu would call em......FFF's
Old May 31, 2010, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

yea lets sticky this
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:51 PM

The OP is hilarious and too damn true. hahah
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:14 PM
Account Disabled

CBRD FTW,

oh sorry

hee he

cb
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
CBRD FTW,

oh sorry

hee he

cb
CBRD FTW.

After reading a few crappy reviews yet again, I felt the urge to bump this topic.

(and don't get me wrong, CBRD is actually FTW because CBRD PROVIDES information. Even though it's mostly about their products, they write a post, back it up with what research was done prior to the TEST they're writing about, so one more time: CBRD FTW )

Last edited by Toxin; Jul 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:41 AM

While I can appreciate the OPs notion for more concise reviews , I can't help but notice the monkey in the room.

There are too many variables and most of this is subjective . Case in point.... the OP says blizzacks are "the ultimate winter tire." Perhaps where you live, but on ice, they don't come close to Hakkapeliitta 7's. These were used to set the current land speed record on ice. You may get only 1 month of ice and get by with blizzacks, but I get 4 to 5 months straight of ice.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people posting brief reviews. They are what they are. If someone decides to buy a product without substantive information, then who cares? I mean, what really matters is that they 'think' they are buying the best. Because without objective data, it's all just about what you feel. Caveat emptor right?

What you are inferring , is that the brief/incomplete reviews are misleading. If they contain false statements, I would agree. But it seems you are only disagreeing with the ease at which they post their opinion.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with this alot of people just jump to conclusions like this or that is awesome without really putting the part to the test. This leads to so much information and makes it hard for people to make good choices
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

haha! I was reading a really lame "review" on BC coilovers and this thread was hyperlinked to it. I've always hated seeing this and your post really hit the nail on the head. thx!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

I just thought it would be time to dig this up from the dead for kicks
Old May 25, 2017, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have some brake pads on that I've been running for 70,000 miles and they are half worn out. If you bought these years ago you got a good pad. Buy them now and the chance of them being the same is small. So, that's the other side of the coin. The good qualities of some products don't show up until beyond a useful review period.