Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo

I know some of you have been following my initial thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ck-review.html) which started back in the summer of 2009
or my 2010 thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...-929s-evo.html) that has thoroughly detailed my use and progression of AMSOIL products.

Welcome to the
2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review!

Carrying over:
  • 929 Evo - stock motor, etc
  • AMSoil 10w30 'Dominator' Engine Oil
  • AMSoil DOT4 Brake Fluid

Completely new for 2011:
  • Updated AMS 100oct DynoTune
  • New Suspension
  • New Aero bits

My car now has about 23,500 miles which includes about 60 days on track. It has ranged in power from the stock ~240whp to 370whp with a majority of it's life spent running 300-320whp with equal torque. If you want to see the complete mod list for 2011, check here: http://boomn29.blogspot.com/p/car-setup.html
I think the great thing about this car is that it's relatively simple. Everything on the car is an off-the-shelf bolt-on part. I've worked with some great companies like AMSoil, AMS Performance, Forgeline, Shep Racing, Girodisc, Buschur Racing, PPI, Hawk Performance, & Hoosier just to name a few - to put together a really good combination of parts. But I still think the most important part beyond the 'nut behind the wheel' is the maintenance performed to keep the car on the track rather than in the pits or at home sitting. And that's where AMSoil and their great products come into play. This thread will serve mainly to detail my extensive maintenance schedule.

The plan is to continue to run AMSOIL 10w30 'Dominator' in the engine. Through 2009, we kept up a pretty insane maintenance schedule that included changing the engine oil usually after every track weekend. Along with that, we sent in several samples of used engine oil in for analysis. The analysis came back great with very little/no engine wear throughout the year. That led us to a change for 2010 which was to extend the change intervals levels a little farther out to very other track weekend. The oil analysis reports for 2010 also came back nearly spotless with very little engine wear.
*Note: if you want to see those oil analysis reports, just check the old threads! No secrets here!
Along with the 2009 and 2010 threads, I listed a link to my review of AMSoil's very own brake fluid - AMSoil DOT4. I switched over to it from Motul in 2009 and have loved it. The nonstop bleeding and occasional boiling I and others have experienced with Motul was driving me batty. With AMSoil DOT4 I flush it at the beginning of the year and maybe, maybe bleed it 2-3 times during a 15-20 day track season. It's been terrific and I highly recommend it. So look for some additional information on brake fluid as we go along.

So bookmark this thread and stay tuned for some detailed analysis as the 2011 track season progresses. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to post up! I'm sure our resident AMSoil distributor, Andy will frequent the threads with suggestions and advice as well. He's been super helpful to me! Also if you have time, check out the blog or twitter feeds listed in my sig.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Before we dive into the details, I wanted to give some information on the car. It's a 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution (obviously) that has been modified to complete in local Time Trial and Time Attack events. It's had about 60 days on track. It has evolved from my daily driver, to a weekend DE car to a stripped track car! Some accomplishments include:

2010 Overview:
15 NASA TT events. Competed in 3 different regions in 3 different classes.
  • 11 wins in 3 different classes - TTB, TTA, TTS
  • 4 track records
  • 1 Regional Championship --> NASA Midwest TTA
  • Competed in GRM UTCC (GrassRoots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge) at VIR

2009 Overview:
  • 8 consecutive wins in NASA TTB
  • 3 track records in NASA TTB
  • 2nd place Redline Time Attack Street AWD - Joliet

Goals for 2011:
  • NASA TTA National Champion

Some of my favorite pics from 2010:

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 9, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed enjoyed reading your updates and good taste in car color
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3 years consecutive with boomn29 ,,, and looking foward to many more.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Boost Leak Test Setup

First up for 2011 news - power delivery!

Some of you might recall I felt the car was down on power a lot of last year. However, the lap times kept coming down so I thought maybe it was just in my head. Nothing else was out of the ordinary; all the gauges checked out. The clutch and trans were good, oil temps and pressure were ok, water temp ok, car wasn't smoking, the issue didn't seem to be worse. When running my 93oct (~22psi tune) TTB tune my times were very similar to 2009. At my last event (Putnam Park) in October, I ran my higher tune and had a top speed of 129.5 mph. Compare that to April when I was there with my 93oct tune and I scored a top speed of 129mph. This officially confirmed my suspicions. I was running Hoosier both times with the latter trip having older tires; but heck I was running LESS weight the with the higher tune even.

I even used my traqmate data to compare the rates of acceleration. Below is a snippet from my April vs October trip to Putnam. For a better comparison, I compared only my 2 best overall laps, then cut down those laps to include only the front straight to eliminate as many variables as possible and focus solely on the straight-line acceleration (ala Horsepower!). The 2 biggest spots to look are the entry speeds and exit speeds for this segment - so you're comparing apples-to-apples as best you can.

Red = 1:18.0 - April, 310whp tune
Blue = 1:17.4 - October, 360whp tune (75lbs lighter!)

I set off to create a boost leak test. Here's some pics from the boost leak test I setup. I did everything with the car still loaded on the trailer in my garage! Not ideal, but not impossible. Here's the car:

Here's a pic of the turbo 'cap' I built. (On the left is the air hose.) It's a way to enter metered air into the stock turbo. I have an air compressor at home that I set initially to 20psi and let the system build up and started listening for major leaks. After tightening up a few intercooler hoses, I could hear major air leaking from around the injector seals.
Ideally I'd pump the system to about 30psi and it'd hold solid.
And attached to the inlet side of the turbo (removing the intake from the equation):

And a close-up of the turbo-cap:

The end result - I knew I needed to replace the injector seals. I was planning a trip to AMS early in 2011 so I added this to the to-do list. While there, AMS also noted that my valve cover gasket was leaking as there was moisture on the back. I told them to 'go ahead and replace it - and whatever else it needed'. The great thing about a shop like AMS is that you don't have to worry about the little things; they have more knowledge than I'll ever have!
After those items were replaced, next up was a retune....

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Tuning trip to AMS in Chicago!

After discovering the boost leaks, I talked with AMS Performance and scheduled an appt to replace the injector seals. I was also going to get a wideband installed and get the car retuned to verify the power.
I seem to make a yearly Jan/Feb trip to AMS for maintenance every year and the weather is suspect during that timeframe. For this trip, I squeezed in between snow storms! When I got to AMS early Friday morning for the appt, I actually had to scrape the windsheild of the Evo before I could unload it off the trailor! That was a first. And again on the way home, we drove threw more snow just N of Bloomington, IL.

The car was unloaded at 8am at AMS Performance in Chicago Friday Jan 28th. I had AMS replace some leaking injector seals and the valve cover gasket (and install a wideband) - then retune the car. AMS last tuned the car in mid 2008, and there's been some parts switching so an updated tune was in order. I also wanted to verify the boost leaks were the only reason my traqmate logs showed me down on power and not something more severe.

The mod list is pretty simple really. The power mods are below, but for a complete list on the car: http://boomn29.blogspot.com/p/car-setup.html
• Stock turbo, short block, head, cams, fuel system etc
• PPI Intake
• K&N Open Air Filter
• AMS MBC
• AMS FMIC
• AMS LICP
• Buschur UICP
• Buschur 3" Turbo Back w/TP
• Exedy Twin HD Clutch
• AMS 100oct Reflash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScGrhTpjp8Y

Results?
The weather corrected numbers were 352whp/364wtq on their Mustang Dyno! I was very impressed with the numbers and have to send a huge shout out to the entire AMS team, especially Dan & Eric up front and Chris for the tune.
All-in-all those are stout numbers for a car with stock turbo, cams and fuel system. Chris really outdid himself with a really meaty tune with the top of the hp from 5500-6800rpms and peak torque at 3400rpms. Because the car competes mainly in NASA TT, it's restricted by the number of 'mods'. I'm not sure I'm going to run this full config during the season as I'll be testing a few different setups, but stay tuned for more updates. I've got my new suspension on order and picked up a few aero pieces to try out as well. What'll be the best combo; it's hard to say! The goal this year is a National Championship with NASA in TTA.

And for fun, here's some other pics of Chicago from the weekend:

Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:04 PM
Account Disabled

Nice pictures nathan.

Sounds like you are all set for this season comming up.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Post 2011 To-Do List

Originally Posted by apagan01
Nice pictures nathan.

Sounds like you are all set for this season comming up.
You'd think so, and I have gotten a lot accomplished. Here's what's done:
  • Order 2011 Tires
  • Figure out 2011 Rims (light as possible 18x9.5 or 18x10)
  • Order 2011 Suspension
  • Order 2011 AMSoil Supply
  • Order new hard intake pipe
    • Install
  • Boost leak test
  • Retune @ AMS Performance
  • Figure out 2011 NASA TTA Config
  • Figure out Aero setup (if applicable)
  • Figure out 2011 Schedule

And here's what needs done yet. There's a long list of maintenance and setup yet to do.
  • Win ***-load of money - lottery?
  • Replace Driveline fluids
    • Trans
    • ACD
    • Rear Diff
  • Brake system
    • Rebuild front calipers seals/boots
    • Check rear calipers
    • full brake fluid flush; then bleed
    • check/replace front/rear pads
  • Flush radiator
  • Change oil/filter
  • Install ARP Front splliter - reinforce somehow
  • Install ARP rear wing
  • Install new suspension
    • Alignment
  • Redo seating position
  • Install passenger seat & harnesses
  • Re-wrap downpipe?
  • Camera setup?

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 9, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

One step at a time
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Attacking the trailer maintenance this weekend. It's got about 10,000 miles on it over 2 seasons so I'm redoing the bearings and seals. I'll try to snap a few pics.

AMSoil grease going in...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:57 AM
Account Disabled

Do you still have grease high impact left ?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Do you still have grease high impact left ?
Almost an entire tube. This is actually what I got it for - just didn't think the bearings needed it last year as I only put about 4,000 miles on it in 2009.

Compare that mileage to nearly 6,000 in 2010.

For 2011 I'm estimating 8-10,000 miles. Ugh.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boomn29
Almost an entire tube. This is actually what I got it for - just didn't think the bearings needed it last year as I only put about 4,000 miles on it in 2009.

Compare that mileage to nearly 6,000 in 2010.

For 2011 I'm estimating 8-10,000 miles. Ugh.
you are firing me up to re-pack my bearings overhere
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

As planned, took care of the trailer this weekend. Repacked the wheel bearings, rotated the tires and gave it a quick scrubdown. All-in-all not a bad job at all. Thx to my Dad for helping me get started.

My trailer is an 18ft deck all aluminum trailer, with electric brakes on both axles (highly recommend) as well as support jacks in the rear for loading/unloading support - meaning I can load the car on the trailer w/o behing hooked up to the truck! It's been great. It's got around 11,000 miles over 2 years.

Everything was in excellent shape and probably could have gone another year easily. But I'm planning up to 8,000 miles this year so I wanted to take the time to inspect everything. All clear!

Repacked with AMSoil sythetic lithium grease:

And after a quick cleaning - the dog didn't help much though...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:51 AM
Account Disabled

Nice country side view in the last picture.

Quick Reply: 2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo