Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

What’s the best car alarm for an evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What’s the best car alarm for an evo 8?

Hey guys I need help, need a car alarm recommendation for an evo 8 preferably remote start as well, do not want something that goes off by someone revving their engine either. Any help is appreciated...thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:19 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Its way more about the install then the hardware itself. Find a good local place to install it and let them recommend something they are familiar with and like. That thing your talking about with the exhaust for example, there is an adjustment knob for the sensitivity of the alarm that is set by the installer.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:22 AM

I only ask to see what other evo owners have so I can get an idea of what would be best for evo’s specifically
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Its way more about the install then the hardware itself. Find a good local place to install it and let them recommend something they are familiar with and like. That thing your talking about with the exhaust for example, there is an adjustment knob for the sensitivity of the alarm that is set by the installer.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:37 AM

I gotcha, from an electrical standpoint the car is basically a lancer, there isn't anything particularly special about the car that would require some niche solution. Funny thing about alarms is like 90% of them are made by the same company, Directed Electronics. You can see that here https://www.directed.com/brands . So quality wise they are all pretty similar. It really just comes down to the features your looking for and the aesthetics of the key fob. I have personally installed 2 different Vipers into my evo. The reason for #2 was the radio technology had gotten better and i wanted the increased range for the 2-way functionality. The one im currently using has been in the car for like 8 years now. The first one never had any problems, so from a quality standpoint I would say Directed's stuff has been good to me. I use to have it configured for remote start, but changed my mind about that after learning about how easy it is to use the feature to actually steal the car. That and I have seen way to many people accidentally start their car in gear and crash.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the input, which alarm are you running I’m seeing a lot of the viper 5901 but without remote start as a good option...definitely thinking of leaning towards a viper brand however.
I gotcha, from an electrical standpoint the car is basically a lancer, there isn't anything particularly special about the car that would require some niche solution. Funny thing about alarms is like 90% of them are made by the same company, Directed Electronics. You can see that here https://www.directed.com/brands . So quality wise they are all pretty similar. It really just comes down to the features your looking for and the aesthetics of the key fob. I have personally installed 2 different Vipers into my evo. The reason for #2 was the radio technology had gotten better and i wanted the increased range for the 2-way functionality. The one im currently using has been in the car for like 8 years now. The first one never had any problems, so from a quality standpoint I would say Directed's stuff has been good to me. I use to have it configured for remote start, but changed my mind about that after learning about how easy it is to use the feature to actually steal the car. That and I have seen way to many people accidentally start their car in gear and crash.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:52 AM

they come out with new models like every couple years, but i think this one would be the most modern equivalent https://www.viper.com/car/securityre...e-start-system . I see they offer one with a color screen, i wouldn't go in for that, the screens on these fobs are like the weak link in all these systems. Keep the fob simple because they tend to take some abuse.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks again for your input I’ll definately look into what you said and I’ll go from there.
they come out with new models like every couple years, but i think this one would be the most modern equivalent https://www.viper.com/car/securityre...e-start-system . I see they offer one with a color screen, i wouldn't go in for that, the screens on these fobs are like the weak link in all these systems. Keep the fob simple because they tend to take some abuse.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 02:15 PM

It can be difficult to install remote start because the installer will have to cancel out the clutch start switch which makes you push in the clutch before you can start the car. Most of the time, installers don't want to do it because if you leave the car in gear and remote start, the car will take off. It can be done, it's just a little more complex than adding it to an automatic.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:21 AM

I've got a two way from Viper. Very happy with it. The range is excellent and I got the smart start module so I can lock and unlock from my phone if need be.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have been using viper 5706v with remote start for a few years now and i have 0 complaints.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grampswrx
It can be difficult to install remote start because the installer will have to cancel out the clutch start switch which makes you push in the clutch before you can start the car. Most of the time, installers don't want to do it because if you leave the car in gear and remote start, the car will take off. It can be done, it's just a little more complex than adding it to an automatic.
DE actually makes a module now that makes it so you don't have to remove the clutch switch....if you want extra insurance though with remote start I suggest getting a magnetic switch to put under the shifter so if its not centered (in neutral) the car wont start. That's what we would do for people that we didn't trust to not leave their car in gear when parked..... I went with a viper branded one in mine been in their since 06 no issues just do something with 2way cause no one care if alarms are going off these days in most areas.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 01:02 PM

I've seen a lot of Viper 5901s, its the one I'm probably going to go with for myself. CZeroMedia has a couple videos of him using the remote start, definitely a nice thing to have.