Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Walbro 255 vs DW301 on factory fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by gringotegra
Mrfred, Myles here...

If it means anything, i went from an intank 255 feeding an inline 255 with stock wiring, made 644whp/406tq @ 26psi with a 13.0 AFR out the top... did a rewire and put a 340 intank still feeding the inline 255 and made 660whp/417tq @ 26psi 13.0 AFR out the top... forgot to mention it's on E85

Not quite as good of a test as you though... In the end in my car it was worth about 20whp....

My car is at its extreme though, trying to pull 800hp worth of fuel through 1 fuel pump isnt helping..
Hey Myles, I didn't have as much luck as you. First post updated with Aeromotive 340 results.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Great information mrfred, thanks for taking the time to do these tests.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Hey Myles, I didn't have as much luck as you. First post updated with Aeromotive 340 results.
Damn thats not so good haha.. i think we have put a few of those pumps in and they dont do anything until you rewire them

I would defiantly rewire the pumps and see how it goes. The Aeromotive draws alot of amps...

Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gringotegra
Damn thats not so good haha.. i think we have put a few of those pumps in and they dont do anything until you rewire them

I would defiantly rewire the pumps and see how it goes. The Aeromotive draws alot of amps...

Yeah, I'm beginning to suspect that there isn't going to be any improved flow until I do a rewire, but I'll reserve final opinion until I try the Walbro 400.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Have to rewire to get any thing more out of these pumps, but then you get high voltage at idle which over runs the regulator which is tunable but still not as cool.

Double pumper is really the best way.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lucas English
Have to rewire to get any thing more out of these pumps, but then you get high voltage at idle which over runs the regulator which is tunable but still not as cool.

Double pumper is really the best way.
I've got a rewire scheme that lets me keep a low/high voltage circuit. Guess I'm going to have order the parts tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Cool let me know what you do. One thing about relays if you have 12v from antoher source in line with the feed to the pump it will cause the relay to stick on.

I was thinking maybe BR pressure switch since it can handle 10amp ran back an just splice into the factory wiring. I feel like a 12v back feed into a pressure switch would not have the same problem that a relay has.

Also another thing we have done that the GM guys to is run the power wire right off the alt. It will be the most voltage you can do. I think they call it hot wiring.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interesting info and insight!

cb
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Cool let me know what you do. One thing about relays if you have 12v from antoher source in line with the feed to the pump it will cause the relay to stick on.

I was thinking maybe BR pressure switch since it can handle 10amp ran back an just splice into the factory wiring. I feel like a 12v back feed into a pressure switch would not have the same problem that a relay has.

Also another thing we have done that the GM guys to is run the power wire right off the alt. It will be the most voltage you can do. I think they call it hot wiring.
Not sure I understand the scenario you describe that is causing a relay to stick. My general plan is to rig up the factory pump wiring to permanently run in low voltage mode, run a power wire off the battery or alternator, and then switch between the two sources using a SPDT relay. The relay would be controlled by the factory high/low voltage control circuit. I'd accomplish the control by splicing off the battery feed to the control side of the relay, and then running the ground back to the ECU pin that simply acts as a switch to ground. What do you think?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:27 AM
EPK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good info thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

All I know is a normal fog style relay if it has any voltage fed back through it will stay on till the other power source is tuned off.

So it will be normal low volt on Start up but ones it switches high volt and the the low volt is fed back it will then stay locked on. Your relay is probably cooler.

Last edited by Lucas English; Dec 12, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
EvoM Guru

All I know is a normal fog style relay if it has any voltage fed back through it will stay on till the other power source is tuned off.

So it will be normal low volt on Start up but ones it switches high volt and the the low volt is fed back it will then stay locked on. Your relay is probably cooler.
Not so sure about the cooler part. I'm sure I'll figure it out though.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

I got about half-way through a pump rewire last night. Hoping to finish it up today. First pump to test will be my Walbro 255.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mrfred, are you going to post up a schematic diagram for the rewire if it works as intended?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops
Mrfred, are you going to post up a schematic diagram for the rewire if it works as intended?
Yep. Want to make sure it works first. :-) So far its coming together very nicely. Soldering up connections now. Hope to have it running by the end of the day.

BTW - I gotta give kudos to STM for their rewire kit. Very nice high current wire, and it has most everything I need.

Quick Reply: Walbro 255 vs DW301 on factory fuel pump wiring