Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Carbonetic Pro Blade Owners Please Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbonetic Pro Blade Owners Please Check-In

I know theres scattered info on this clutch kit, but not much. I figure all of us who own this clutch can check-in and give our perspective on our pro blade, in one simple thread. I have heard both good and not so good things about it so lets try to fill this thread with personal experience

I have had my kit ( pp, disc, tb, flywheel, pull to push contraption) for about 5k miles. I am on stock power so far, and all of my miles are daily driven. I Love the driveablility of this clutch. It is super easy to drive, no on-off switch, no problems starting up hill. It is not noticebly loud, i can hear it on deceleration tho not very loud. My 115lb fiance drives the car to work couple times a week and she has no issues driving it. So far I love this clutch!

Well, im scared to launch this clutch. That is part of the reason I made this thread so I can get other peoples experience on it. I know Curt Brown has launched this clutch at high power levels, but he is using a Hydraulic tb instead of the contraption. Another member who made a review here deeman101, unfortunately fried his after 2 launches with 10k on it. Member 4xforce loved his as much as I did, his started slipping I believe at 17k.

So lets hear your experience! please post

1) Which kit you have (flywheel and pull to push, or just pp and disc)
2) current mileage/ how long it lasted
3) Duty (dd,ax,rr,# launches)
4) anything youd like to say about it positive or negative

Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:08 AM

My advice is that this clutch is a race clutch that has been compromised (well executed nontheless) for street duty. It is not at all a good idea to launch it.

The science behind this is that the carbon based friction material sheds off heat significantly faster than your standard organic or metallic friction surfaces. Now being a single disk unit, the next component to pick up the heat transfer is either your pressure plate, or the flywheel, whichever is closest to the friction surface. While in theory, a multiplate carbon clutch works as it should and can take countless launches (look at all the carbonetics triples that arent going up in smoke, same can be said for the exedy twin and triple carbon setups), a single carbon disk seems as it is just not enough mass to absorb and control the rapid heat transfer. This, paired with an exceptionally lightweight flywheel and pressure plate, make for an assembly ready to be fused possibly even after a single launch.

Enjoy the driveability and the good street nature of your clutch. It shifts extremely well at all revs and is a joy to pedal around. If you`re never going to be launching and keeping torque under 500 lbt-ft, I would beleive this to be one of the better options to an Exedy Twin.

Good news is that you know not to launch it, so I would gather that it will outlast everybody else`s publicly stated experience with "poor" longevity. I`ve driven Deeman`s car while he had it on his car, and it was an excellent clutch. Unfortunately, I was also riding shotgun when he fried it.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Kiyo from carbonetics had this to say when I contacted him (paraphrasing):

This clutch was never meant to be launched and should never be launched. It is for road course and street driving. If you have to make a "fast start" dump the clutch. Never ever ever ever slip it. You are also SOL if you fry it carbonetics never made claims that this clutch should be launched and will do nothing to help you.

In summary, DON'T LAUNCH. Curiosity got the best of my and thats why I launched it, look where it led me. Even curt says not to launch it. He rolled off the line for his fastest run with this clutch. If you're still not convinced I have tons of pics of what my clutch looks like that I can post . Enjoy it for what it is. A nice lightweight DD clutch thats able to make great shifts and hold a lot of torque.

Last edited by deeman101; Aug 6, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess ill just not launch it. Kinda sucks that this info wasnt out when I purchsed it lol. Ive been itching to see what I could run in the 1/4, But oh well.

Deeman how is your cci so far?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Very good. I didn't launch on it. I really am not a drag racer, I'm not even sure why I was out launching before anyways, lol. But the cci clutch is smooth for DD, shifts nice and clean, and has pedal pressure somewhere in between stock and the carbonetics.

But I have to be careful not to excessively slip it, it is less tolerant to slip than stock clutches. Really its not an issue for most but I have an evo IX 1st gear with 4.11 fd gear. And I live basically on the side of a mountain . I actually think the carbonetics took low load slip better. Which is damn well good because it really took a lot of slipping to get it moving up a hill from a stoplight.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
Very good. I didn't launch on it. I really am not a drag racer, I'm not even sure why I was out launching before anyways, lol. But the cci clutch is smooth for DD, shifts nice and clean, and has pedal pressure somewhere in between stock and the carbonetics.

But I have to be careful not to excessively slip it, it is less tolerant to slip than stock clutches. Really its not an issue for most but I have an evo IX 1st gear with 4.11 fd gear. And I live basically on the side of a mountain . I actually think the carbonetics took low load slip better. Which is damn well good because it really took a lot of slipping to get it moving up a hill from a stoplight.
Were you using the Blade or Blade Pro?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Were you using the Blade or Blade Pro?

The carbonetics pro blade clutch system. With push/pull contraption.

16k miles and 1 bog launch from 2k rpm and it was fine. 1 good launch from 6k rpm and it was toast. I even aborted the launch like 30 feet out because of the wheel hop.

Welded itself to the flywheel. Needed pry bars to pull it off. All that 300wtq I guess was too intense.....
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Strange as I've launched my twin blade heaps of times even in second gear with full car load , ended up breaking transfer case but that's another issue entirely

Have done a few thousand km now over a few months and its just beautiful to drive. I drive my mates stage 3 cushion button competition and then go back to this and the drivability is priceless. Pedal effort is much less, there is no take off squeal and its very rideable for going up hills etc and has no shudder

Last edited by burnzy; Mar 21, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

In case anyone is interested, the Pro Blade for the Evo is being end-of-lifed. Carbonetic has decided that going with a pull clutch is more sensible on the Evo and eliminates the push-pull conversion that they think may have been contributing to shortened clutch lifetime. In its place, they now have a "Full Blade" kit that includes a 3200 lb pressure plate and a 13 lb flywheel that has a Tufftride hardened surface that's meant to make the flywheel more heat tolerant.

The Twin Blade that Burzny speaks of has many of the same features (pull clutch, Tufftride coatings) as the Full Blade, but has not yet been released in all markets.

Last edited by mrfred; Mar 21, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
In case anyone is interested, the Pro Blade for the Evo is being end-of-lifed. Carbonetic has decided that going with a pull clutch is more sensible on the Evo and eliminates the push-pull conversion that they think may have been contributing to shortened clutch lifetime. In its place, they now have a "Full Blade" kit that includes a 3200 lb pressure plate and a 13 lb flywheel that has a Tufftride hardened surface that's meant to make the flywheel more heat tolerant.

The Twin Blade that Burzny speaks of has many of the same features (pull clutch, Tufftride coatings) as the Full Blade, but has not yet been released in all markets.
Are they going to give you a refund on he one you just purchased ?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SmoothCTR
Are they going to give you a refund on he one you just purchased ?
I found out about it before I pulled the trigger, so I have this revised setup. I'm having English Racing install it in about 2 weeks.

Last edited by mrfred; Mar 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM.