Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

South Coast Mitsubishi *bad review*

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Coast Mitsubishi *bad review*

I am hijacking my husbands account to place a review on here for a problem that we are currently dealing with with the dealership. It is a long story so I apologize about that, but people should know if they come across an issue with these guys.

In 2008, my husband bought a brand new evo, with the evo he also purchased a lo jack for about 650, however he never received. Shortly after he bought the evo he deployed and brought the car to Wisconsin. When we came back to Socal, we purchased a 2010 Ralliart. We called South Coast in early 2011, which we know is quite later, to see if there was anything that could be done to get a refund of some sort. We were told that since it has been a few years they could just credit us and have "services" there done for that amount. When we needed something done just bring in the receipt and paper work for the lojack. We were content with that.

Well some time has passed, and in late November, my husband brought my Ralliart up to South Coast to get my 30k mile service, tranny and all. When my husband got there he was told that they could not look into the situation with the lojack because it was a Saturday and the person who would take care of it was not in. This came from Sam. He also told us since we 1.5 hours away that he would look into just cutting us a check for the amount. My husband was fine with that, paid the 500 or so for my service and left. A week later he texted Sam, and Sam said he was still working on it. My husband went back and forth texting Sam for the next month and nothing was resolved, and it got to the point where Sam just ignored him.

Let's just put this simply. The managers there will probably never call you back. I have yet to receive any phone calls from these guys. I pretty much call at least 1-2x a week. In the beginning I talked to sales manager Eric, first time I called he did not want to hear anything from me, and quickly got off the phone with me. I have not been rude at all with these guys because I know that is no way to get things taken care of. He said he would look into it and call me back in a few days. Few days passed, I heard nothing. So I called him again and he said he was still looking into it. Two weeks approximately no phone call nothing, so I call back again. Still no answer for the situation. So now I try to get a hold of Chuck which is not easy since he travels around from store to store. Explain the situation to him said he has to talk to Eric about it and he would call me back in a few days. That was two weeks ago. Gave him 5 days, never heard from him so I tracked him down again. I told him I was getting frustrated with the situation since everyone keeps saying they are going to call me back. I realize you guys are busy, but I am to. So last week monday morning I get ahold of Eric and all i get is "No, we cannot do it." At this point I did not ask why I just said okay and got off the phone. Pondered the next day why did I not ask why. So Wednesday I call and ask Eric why it is a no that I was curious. He said he did not know why....exactly his words. I asked why he did not know and he just said that that was all he was told that he could get an answer by the end of the day as to why they could not give me a refund.

So end of day passes, no call. So I call Chuck further explain what is going on and he said I am not sure I still need to talk to Eric ill get back to you by the end of the week. Well its Monday night and I still have yet to hear from them. I have tried getting ahold of the owner, but I am told that there is no way to get ahold of them. One receptionist emailed him to call me, but I have not had a phone call. Another receptionist, did not get the name from him, said that he has no access to the owner, that he did not even know his name. Well you have great employees that is all I have to say on that one.

So now I am left with them telling me they cannot give a refund for something I have paid for after I was told that I could. I have I am left for the option to take them to small claims court. Talked to a lawyer and got the all the correct information on whom to file against. Was told considering we were told we could get a refund, even if its not in writing that we have a case and it would be up to the judge to decide what the outcome would be.

So we shall wait maybe another week see what they can do about it, and then if nothing gets resolved I will be taking them to court, which quite frankly I do not want to do but will.

Lesson learned always get things in writing.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for your troubles,get your money back or take it up a notch. Take them to court, your case is cut & dry.
It's hard to trust anyone when it comes to the all mighty dollar.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

3 years later and nothing in writing? Good luck with that. You answered your post at the end of it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I got lucky the day I flew down to buy my evo from South Coast.

The sales guy I worked with had made all these promises on the phone that he retracted when I got there. (For the record, a verbal agreement will hold up in court in the state of California.) I was considering buying a ticket home when the owner walked out and asked me why I was so pissed. I explained my story and he took care of it for me. Had the owner not been there that Saturday and happen to walk outside, I probably would have walked out of there without my car.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:47 PM

I know about statue of limitation is two years, so they pretty much screwed themselves by saying that they would give us the refund. Lawyer says it is a good case. The dumb part is they could have just given us the service like originally agreed upon. They would not have not lost money, and they would not have lost a customer. Now its just based off of principle.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I've learn to never trust the "promises" that comes out of the car salesman's mouth. Even though they promise you the world, they have another million excuses to back out of it.

When they want your money, they'll be your best friend and once they have it, they could careless about you.

Sorry that you had to go through this, I would take them to small claims court if I'm you, although it probably won't do much since its been so long since you purchased the car and nothing was in writing from the STEALERSHIP for their empty promises...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:06 PM

I honestly do not understand why they get such great reviews by people here. When I was in the market for a evo they were one of the first I contacted outside the local dealerships. They really dont have great customer services, and mediocre pricing.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a horrible story. Makes me glad that I did not buy a new Evo from them in 2011. I was shopping for an Octane Blue Evo and had to search much of the US since it was August and none were available at all in my region. The prices for Evos was almost too good to be true at South Coast Mitsubishi. SCM didn't have any OB's in stock, so I ended up going to a dealer in Texas, bought my Evo and had it shipped to where I live. Now that I just read some of the comments, I am glad I didn't buy from them.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

There is two Sam's at SCM. Hit up Sam Smash, he'll take care of you for sure!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And Mitsubishi wonders why they are losing so much business in the US where competition is really tough.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:19 AM

Sam could not do anything about it the situation in the first place, he does not have the authority to, which I completely understand....our problem with him was just the lack of communication, and him ignoring us.

Almost a week now since I posted this and talked to them and still have not received a phone call from anyone.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I highly doubt you will get a phone call. They will once they see a subpoena
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

^well south coast doesn't really provide a good service. whenever i have my regular service (oil change, brake inspection) they would charge me like almost $100, then when i moved to buena park and have my car serviced by cerritos mitsubishi they told me it's free for 2 years or so. ever since i never came back to south coast. i even bought my DD outlander sport at cerritos mitsubishi just last year.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sad story, sorry to hear. If you were in NY I am a certified lojack installer at my Dealership, I would have gladly helped!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

i dont know why people say southcoast is all mighty, i had nothing but issues with them and the slimeball salesman that work there and promise you the sun and cant hold up to it. when i was in the market for a evo, i did everything over the phone, drove 3.5hrs got there, they said there was a mix up and it was sold, but they had another (bait and switch) than said they would give me 3k under what they told me on the phone for my trade, needless to say it left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and i ended up driving back home. i would never refer anyone to that rip off place.

Quick Reply: South Coast Mitsubishi *bad review*