Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Girodisc S/S "Orange" brake pads

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Girodisc S/S "Orange" brake pads

Since I knew I had a very aggressive cruise/drive coming up this previous weekend, the weekend prior I decided to replace my brake pads and fluid to have a freshened up brake system since my car was at 63k miles already. I was previously running Stoptech Street Performance pads with ATE Super Blue fluid. This time I went with the new Girodisc pads and a fresh flush of ATE Super Blue. I also swapped on some MR 2-piece front brake rotors, which I had resurfaced, a few months ago. The rear rotors are still stock and untouched; this is now their 3rd set of pads.

The Stoptech pads were very similar in performance and dust to the factory Brembo/Ferodo pads; no complaints, fair price, nice street manners.

On my Evo IX I had tried Girodisc Magic (disliked) and RacingBrake ET500 (liked) pads.

Of all the various pads, these S/S Orange pads are by far my favorites though! I'm very glad I was able to get a set to test out! Initial cold bite is good, but as they heat up the bite just gets stronger! Dust doesn't seem unreasonable so far, and noise is minimal and only occasionally occurs during low-speed gentle application. The bite at speed is very positive and steady, even at triple digit speeds the pads were brilliant!

Shims were included with the pads, and I installed everything with a liberal coating of Hawk brake grease.

As the pads wear I'll report back more on the noise and dust, but right now I am extremely satisfied and can easily recommend this pad as a great choice for aggressive street use. They would also be good for autocross and most likely some light-duty track time.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sweet, thanks for the good review. sounds like a nice alternative to the stoptechs for a daily driving. look forward to when they release.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

They are released and available

These are a more aggressive pad than the Stoptechs, and comparable to the Ferodo DS2500 in terms of ability and performance (but with less dust).

8/9/X front: http://www.maperformance.com/girodis...x-ss-1001.html
8/9 rear: http://www.maperformance.com/girodis...9-ss-0961.html
X rear: http://www.maperformance.com/girodis...x-ss-1368.html

Last edited by Kracka; Aug 30, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
What did you dislike about the magic pads? i run those on my evo and they are quiet and brake really well. i'm just curious. I didn't notice much difference in brake dust.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Overall, I just thought the Magics were total crap. They were inconsistent (friction coefficient came and went then came again as they heated up) and were fairly dusty considering their level [lack of] of performance. I also couldn't get them to stay quiet on my IX; but they were silent on the WRX I also tried them on. These S/S pads are far and away better street pads than the Magics were; quite possibly the best street pad I've ever used on an Evo. They do need a little heat in them, but the first stop of the drive seems to take care of that.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, happy to hear you all like the new compound! We've been running the S/S pads in three of our shop cars for well over a year now and needless to say we're very happy with the compound we've put together.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

I love these pads! Definitely my favorite pad for street use that I've ever tried. I liked the dustless operation of the RacingBrake ET500's, but these pads definitely have more bite. They seem to need one stop to get a little heat into them, after that, game on. Everyone once in a while mine will make a quiet squeak during the occasional low-speed operation, but hardly even anything to think about.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Overall, I just thought the Magics were total crap. They were inconsistent (friction coefficient came and went then came again as they heated up) and were fairly dusty considering their level [lack of] of performance. I also couldn't get them to stay quiet on my IX; but they were silent on the WRX I also tried them on. These S/S pads are far and away better street pads than the Magics were; quite possibly the best street pad I've ever used on an Evo. They do need a little heat in them, but the first stop of the drive seems to take care of that.
ah ok. I didn't really abuse mine to much, so i can't honestly say anything. when i did a brake boost 2-3 times back to back though they definitely started to burn up. I usually just do straight line stuff though, so they get a chance to cool down after each stop.

Mine were loud at first, but then they didn't make noise after around 50 hard brakes performed.

They do create a lot of dust though.

Thanks for the review!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the magic pads and ran them this year and they definitely dust a bit more than I expected. Sounds like the S/S pads will be in next summer. thanks kracka for the review
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have to agree that these pads are pretty awesome, they bite like any other pad cold, but one hard stop and they grab harder than Micheal Jackson at a birthday party. (very comparable to ds2500 as advertised)

I would have to complain about the brake squeal. Light braking produces no squeal, Heavy braking produces no squeal, but for me medium/normal braking makes these pads squeal. (which could be from a number of factors) All in all I'm pretty happy about this pad choice
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but has anyone taken these pads to the track?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Can any shop like autozone resurface the MR 2 pc rotors?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

I called local shops, pep boys and firestone and they are not resurfacing 2 pc Rotors. I wonder where Kraca did his 2 pc.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If they're a floating design, you have to take the rings to a machine shop and get them milled on the same machine they use to mill a cylinder head. The problem with that is the mounting tab also gets thinner so its not a good idea, and most machinists won't do it. Buy new friction rings.

If the ring is bolted to the hat (not a floating design) they should be able to resurface like a regular rotor. Just need to find a shop that's not ignorant.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:59 AM

After a *VERY* long research process (and I'm talking brain wracking level 10 or so) I decided to give the S/S pads a try as my first non-OEM set.

I called Girodisc and Mike was extremely helpful. Ordered a set which I should have and be putting in this weekend. Once I've done the bed-in and given them a bit to burn in I'll update on how they're doing for me.

Also: thanks to Roen for his recommendations, even if I wound up doing something different.

Last edited by nullcontext; Jun 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Girodisc S/S "Orange" brake pads