Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Forced Performance FP Turbo Junk!

Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Forced Performance FP Turbo Junk!

Found oil on my garage floor and booked in with my mechanic. Put the car on the hoist and he found oil leaking from my intercooler piping. Upon further inspection he found this:

I've spent a LOT of money on this car. Top shelf Japanese parts throughout. After my mechanics phone conversations today, I can assure you this is no isolated incident with FP turbos. So if your in the market for a turbo, seriously think twice about FP turbos. Now I'm up for thousands of dollers having to replace my turbo, God only knows how much its going to cost to flush my piping, intercooler and god knows what else. Besides the oil everywhere, he is surprised it hasn't fouled my plugs, and I am blowing smoke. Not happy is an understatement.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrible to hear about you misfortunes dude.
I would hope that FP would be looking at doing the right thing by you no?

FP get used a bit here in Australia too.

Are you going to approach FP about this do you think?

Better luck getting the machine on the road.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear bout your car How long has the turbo been on for?
Is it DBB or JB?
I've got a green sitting in a box ready to be bolted on :/
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey
Is that a Ball Bearing turbo or a Journal Bearing? If it's a Ball Bearing there is a whole thread here on this issue. Are you replacing your turbo because it's stuffed or just because you don't like the oil, because as discussed on that thread having oil there isn't terminal, just a pain in the ****.

It shouldn't cost you much, if anything, to clean out your intercooler piping and intercooler, you just need some aluminium safe degreaser and some time to remove, clean and reassemble the intercooler and pipes.

Have a read through this anyway - I'm on there with my leaky FP Black.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...black-dbb.html
Old Apr 4, 2014, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Read the post that FP themselves posted on the thread, it'll save you time rather than reading the whole thread. It's their word you're really looking for.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/11114615-post78.html
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
this thread is junk. most likely nothing wrong with turbo at all. brand new turbos can push oil when engine has excessive blow by.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:14 AM

Its a ball bearing turbo. I've had in installed for maybe 12 months give or take. I had a read of the provided link, thx. I'll pass that information on to my mechanic for him to read over and see what he says. I am replacing the turbo simply because its not operating as I believed it would before purchase. If I had of known about the leak I would not have purchased, its as simple as that.
I've owned R32GTR, R33 and Stagea260RS. This is my second Evo 6 TME that I've owned. All these cars mentioned where heavily modified. Auto Salon entries, magazines, meets and shows, and I have NEVER had after market turbo's leak.
Its easy enough to say it isn't terminal, but it shouldn't be happening. How many people would purchase these turbos knowing they leak? Not me I can tell you that.

Its a real shame too. Besides the leak I have been so proud of my FP Red. 265kW on 24 pound of boost, its absolutely hammers. But as anyone knows its not the kW numbers that impress but the torque. And this turbo provides a whopping 650nm of torque with my set up.
If it didn't leak I would dare to say its the best performing turbo I've ever owned. Its just a real shame it has this unforgivable flaw.

As of now my mechanic is making some inquiries about a Garrett turbo replacement, he's been quoted $2850 and on Monday he's going to call APT turbo here in Melbourne about repairs if possible. Just trying to see what my options are. In all honesty I'd be more than happy to stick with FP, but there's no way I can have a leaking turbo. My car is show quality inside and out, I'll post pics if no one believes me. That's not bragging right's crap, its the simple truth.

I have no qualms paying top dollar for quality gear, but I do expect performance and reliability. Not "I paid top dollar, how come I don't have 100000000000kW?" but come on, a leaking turbo is not what I consider a good product. It is something I would expect from a cheap Chinese turbo you can pick up for a few hundred bucks online. And I don't care what reasons are given either. Its simply not good enough.

Hey thx guys for the kind words. We share a passion, and you probably know how gutted I'm feeling right now. I can see into my garage from the hallway through the dinning room window, and every time I walk down the hallway I look into the empty garage where once sat my pride and joy. Now its at the mechanics, I wonder if it misses me as much as I miss it ...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idle
Its a ball bearing turbo. I've had in installed for maybe 12 months give or take. I had a read of the provided link, thx. I'll pass that information on to my mechanic for him to read over and see what he says. I am replacing the turbo simply because its not operating as I believed it would before purchase. If I had of known about the leak I would not have purchased, its as simple as that.
I've owned R32GTR, R33 and Stagea260RS. This is my second Evo 6 TME that I've owned. All these cars mentioned where heavily modified. Auto Salon entries, magazines, meets and shows, and I have NEVER had after market turbo's leak.
Its easy enough to say it isn't terminal, but it shouldn't be happening. How many people would purchase these turbos knowing they leak? Not me I can tell you that.

Its a real shame too. Besides the leak I have been so proud of my FP Red. 265kW on 24 pound of boost, its absolutely hammers. But as anyone knows its not the kW numbers that impress but the torque. And this turbo provides a whopping 650nm of torque with my set up.
If it didn't leak I would dare to say its the best performing turbo I've ever owned. Its just a real shame it has this unforgivable flaw.

As of now my mechanic is making some inquiries about a Garrett turbo replacement, he's been quoted $2850 and on Monday he's going to call APT turbo here in Melbourne about repairs if possible. Just trying to see what my options are. In all honesty I'd be more than happy to stick with FP, but there's no way I can have a leaking turbo. My car is show quality inside and out, I'll post pics if no one believes me. That's not bragging right's crap, its the simple truth.

I have no qualms paying top dollar for quality gear, but I do expect performance and reliability. Not "I paid top dollar, how come I don't have 100000000000kW?" but come on, a leaking turbo is not what I consider a good product. It is something I would expect from a cheap Chinese turbo you can pick up for a few hundred bucks online. And I don't care what reasons are given either. Its simply not good enough.

Hey thx guys for the kind words. We share a passion, and you probably know how gutted I'm feeling right now. I can see into my garage from the hallway through the dinning room window, and every time I walk down the hallway I look into the empty garage where once sat my pride and joy. Now its at the mechanics, I wonder if it misses me as much as I miss it ...
I've had the FP Red BB, FP Black BB, and larger BB turbos on my car over the past 5-6 years. Never did I experience any oil accumulation at the intake pipe or the intercooler pipes.

I feel that a proper catch can setup will most likely eliminate this "dilemma". Obviously there are other factors that may lead to such an incident, such as the ones stated by FP here, but if everything else is up to par, then most likely it's "uncontrolled" crankcase pressure causing this.

So I wouldn't immediately start bashing FP, or ANY product for that matter, without eliminating typical mechanical errors or mishaps from the consumer side.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
this thread is junk. most likely nothing wrong with turbo at all. brand new turbos can push oil when engine has excessive blow by.
^^^This....I would have definitely contacted FP before posting anything...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a couple turbo's blow up myself over the years.
Sure the turbo blew, but it was something else that made the turbo blow up.
Don't blame the turbo, find out what caused the turbo to do that.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the turbo have shaft play or is there just oil in the intake? Do you still have a vacuum line going to the intake from the valve cover?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
do a leak down test on your engine first. I cant tell you how many times I have seen turbos blow oil when there was actually NOTHING wrong with the turbo. if the oil cant get back to pan freely from turbo exit the the oil will make it past seals.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I would have contacted FP before had an aneurysm................
Old Apr 4, 2014, 03:29 PM

Oops you are from Aussie. my bad.

Such big boy comments from some here...
OP comes on here to vent his frustrations, yes he could have contacted FP prior but he is in the shts about an exxie component pissing oil.

Why am I getting the feeling that if one of you US members raised this the same way the OP wouldn't have received the "Constructive" comments this OP did.

Pfft!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo2372
Oops you are from Aussie. my bad.

Such big boy comments from some here...
OP comes on here to vent his frustrations, yes he could have contacted FP prior but he is in the shts about an exxie component pissing oil.

Why am I getting the feeling that if one of you US members raised this the same way the OP wouldn't have received the "Constructive" comments this OP did.

Pfft!
I made a turbo for my X. I had housings made and everything. It spools up super quick, and the top end is insane (I mean, insane). I could probably put them into production and make a profit for $1,500. I have had any number of personal requests to make my turbo. I won't make it for anyone but close friends. Why? Because of **** like this. It doesn't really matter where the guy is from. There is no question that FP makes awesome turbos.

You guys want to know why there are a lot of nice things out there that you can't have and will never know about? This thread. Period.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forced Performance FP Turbo Junk!