Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Quartermaster 8 Leg Review for DD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no I didnt get any pics after i removed it. for the beating i gave it and the amazing smooth shifts i could do with it, this clutch is definitely worth the money. Hell my driver mod is so good with this clutch I got a PB of 10.8@129 on my stock block FP Green set up.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by needmoreboost!!
well i ended up getting 33k out of the first one. drove the car from texas to cali and took a little trip up to lake tahoe. Got caught in dead stop traffic going up a steep hill and the constant slipping of the clutch overheated and just killed it. It would still drive and get going just as soon as 1psi hit on the boost gauge it would start slipping.

I rebuilt it all and resurfaced the flywheel, 800miles in to it the clutch would slip. After talking to QM they told me it was probably the Cover that needed a rebuild too. So before sending it out to them for another $250 my good Ol Buddy Pirana let me use his cover and that did fix the issue. I believe if it wasnt for the way i killed my clutch with that amount of slipping i had to do I would of probably got another 10k out of it and probably would have gotten away without having to send the cover in for a rebuild as well.
From what I have been reading from the forums and QM. These 7.25" clutches work great for fast shifting and high rpm, however they do not like being slipped a lot due to the decrease in surface area and ability to dissipate heat if not being driven to increase air circulation.

So constant slipping up a hill and some mileage on the clutch would seem like it would warp the pressure plate / diaphragm more so than just the flywheel since that is steel vs aluminum.

I think the easiest way is to just send the entire clutch to QM for overhaul and call it a day.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

That is what I should have done. Just this being my first twin disk I figured just replace the guys and good to go. That wasn't the case but one way to learn.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might have to save up and get one of these... I need something that will last but can take a 550WTQ launch and be able to serve as a daily driver. Seems like this is it!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:33 AM

I just got my 8-Leg installed and have about 200 miles on it, half city and half highway. I can also confirm of the dying whale noise and chirping that makes others look at me like I drive a POS I am having a hard time deciding if I should rev above 2k to get it moving or feather the gas, I've had success both ways. I am pretty paranoid about my car and sometimes the clutch makes noise at idle which I thought was knock (late night noob mistake) and I almost had a heart attack. I was surprised to actually stall this clutch since I had never really stalled on the stock clutch. Peddle pressure is good and the engagement is nice but extremely grabby. Hoping that I can get better at taking off consistently smooth but the shifts are butter when done right
Old Sep 3, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

It took me about 2 weeks to finally get it to take off smoothly. After that you'll love it when you start banging gears. Any car you get in now with a aftermarket clutch will feel like stock to you lol
Old Oct 15, 2015, 01:31 PM

I currently have a Comp stage 3 in my 8 and as soon as that thing decides to let go, I plan on picking up an 8 leg, have heard nothing but good things about it, but never could find a decent review on it. Thanks for the review man!
Old May 28, 2017, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shift speed

Hey bro. I am thinking of buying this clutch and wanted your opinion.

I have done so many things trying to have my evo x shift smooth. The car is practically brand new. I have installed the TWM shifter with bushings, I have a weighted shift knob, I even have considered sending the transmission to Jack's Transmissions for a rebuilt, because I simply can't shift fast, even normal speed, at high rpms going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Downshifts are never a problem, but upshift at high rpm are horrible and grind. I know at my power lever this clutch could be an overkill, but for the smooth shifts I am willing to pay to play. How smooth are we talking about.

1st gear, revving up to 7.5k and shifting like a bat out of hell to 2nd smooth?

Also, is the noise very loud, like brake squealing annoying as heck loud?

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by g7igo7
Hey bro. I am thinking of buying this clutch and wanted your opinion.

I have done so many things trying to have my evo x shift smooth. The car is practically brand new. I have installed the TWM shifter with bushings, I have a weighted shift knob, I even have considered sending the transmission to Jack's Transmissions for a rebuilt, because I simply can't shift fast, even normal speed, at high rpms going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Downshifts are never a problem, but upshift at high rpm are horrible and grind. I know at my power lever this clutch could be an overkill, but for the smooth shifts I am willing to pay to play. How smooth are we talking about.

1st gear, revving up to 7.5k and shifting like a bat out of hell to 2nd smooth?

Also, is the noise very loud, like brake squealing annoying as heck loud?

Thanks.
Its loud, and its difficult to engage from a stop, but it does shift well.