Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

TRE: transmission Billet Oil Cooler adapter/Saviour of 4th Gear

Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Can anyone tell me which gear this is?
"Saviour of 4th Gear"
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Faisalm
"Saviour of 4th Gear"
Yes, I read that and talked to John. Someone I know suggested otherwise so that is why I am asking.

Last edited by michaelrc51; Nov 23, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like the reverse idle gear to me
Old Jan 10, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wingless
It looks like the reverse idle gear to me
Interesting, that is what was also said to me.....

Anyone else?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Interesting, that is what was also said to me.....

Anyone else?
Ya I don't know how that saves 4th gear on the input side, but there is quite a lot I don't know about Evo 5 speeds. I just happen to have one in pieces all over my bench right now. Super clean access point for a cooler though.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
Ya I don't know how that saves 4th gear on the input side, but there is quite a lot I don't know about Evo 5 speeds. I just happen to have one in pieces all over my bench right now. Super clean access point for a cooler though.
It is the reverse idler gear. It uses the spinning of that gear to sling oil onto 4th gear, which seems to fail due to overheating from lack of oil.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Sep 16, 2016)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rawkus
It is the reverse idler gear. It uses the spinning of that gear to sling oil onto 4th gear, which seems to fail due to overheating from lack of oil. Dan
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received one of these today. Is there suppose to be 2 different size bolts? Or should they all be the same size?
Because I received 3 long bolts, and 3 shorter bolts that didn't fit. Had to go to the local store to get more bolts.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aussie IX
Received one of these today. Is there suppose to be 2 different size bolts? Or should they all be the same size?
Because I received 3 long bolts, and 3 shorter bolts that didn't fit. Had to go to the local store to get more bolts.
There should have been 6 bolts of all the same length.

Dan
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Looks super rad, and at $500 for the pair totally worth it if it keeps your tranny from blowing up.

Question #1 for the users out there: Any 4th gear issues since install? Did you actually blow one up in the past?

Question #2 in general: Wouldn't it seem good to add fluid capacity to at least the Transfer Case plate? That poor member has so little oil in there to begin with...

Originally Posted by awdboosted
I've been running a TRE Billet transmission cooler adapter for almost 1.5 years now. I currently road race my Evo about 4-5 times a year. Even without a heat exchanger installed on this, I can say the trans shifts consistent and feels strong. Even after repeated hot laps around the track. I also installed the inspection plate cooler for the Transfer case. That rare earth magnet picks up everything and because of the o-ring design, I call pull it off with ease and clean it with every fluid change.

I also added a temperature probe to see what the temperature is. I've been seeing on average 245-255 trans temperatures. After seeing that high of a temperature, I'm planning on putting on a cooler to get the temperatures down and protect the gears; especially the 4th gear.

This is by far worth every penny.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Looks super rad, and at $500 for the pair totally worth it if it keeps your tranny from blowing up.

Question #1 for the users out there: Any 4th gear issues since install? Did you actually blow one up in the past?

Question #2 in general: Wouldn't it seem good to add fluid capacity to at least the Transfer Case plate? That poor member has so little oil in there to begin with...
We blew up one 4th gear after the installation of this part, but it was an error on our part. We assembled our own transmission and mixed up the clearance values, shimming the transmission incorrectly. We also may have not had adequate oil level, so completely our fault.

Since having the transmission properly rebuilt, we've had zero issues for years now and we make over 700whp. We also switched to Motul Gear 300 75W90. It's important to fill the trans and transfer case with fluid, then drive just a tiny little bit, then refill to make sure everything is up to max capacity.

Regarding #2, I've never been told by Jon at TRE to overfill any of the levels, so we will continue to follow his advice, as whenever we do what we says, we don't have problems.

Dan
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
FWIW, and prob not even worth posting in this particular thread, Jon has definitely told me to overfill my 6 speed trans, and also the t-case. What I personally do, rather then getting the car up twice, I just jack one side of the car way, way up (driver's side for trans, passenger's side for t-case) and overfill until it pours out. I tested this with the t-case once, overfilling by jacking up the pass side higher (fill plug is on the pass side), drove around, and jacked the car up normally. Opened the fill plug, and fluid was coming out at a rapid pace - tells me it's as filled as it needs to be with this method
The following users liked this post:
rawkus (Sep 19, 2016)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
My 4th gear had terrible wear on it (even some pitting from heat), it needed replaced when Jon rebuilt my trans at 40k miles. He went so far to say that he has seen many intact 4th gears that looked worse than mine, so it was probably pretty close to blowing up. Running the cooler plate, and now at 50k miles (10k miles on rebuilt trans) and 4th gear looked really good when I pulled the plate for inspection last fluid change. It has seen three track days at 360wtq and 430whp as well.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
FWIW, and prob not even worth posting in this particular thread, Jon has definitely told me to overfill my 6 speed trans, and also the t-case. What I personally do, rather then getting the car up twice, I just jack one side of the car way, way up (driver's side for trans, passenger's side for t-case) and overfill until it pours out. I tested this with the t-case once, overfilling by jacking up the pass side higher (fill plug is on the pass side), drove around, and jacked the car up normally. Opened the fill plug, and fluid was coming out at a rapid pace - tells me it's as filled as it needs to be with this method
Good to know.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
Looks like you're correct on this one. Jon recommends overfilling a little bit for road racing applications. See the following links:
http://teamrip.com/manual_transmissi...tion_info.html
http://teamrip.com/transfer_case_hyp...tion_info.html

Dan