Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Squash Double Pumper Update - Significant Issues

Old Jul 4, 2015, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I have had great communication with Andy I wrote him and asked him to comment in this thread a few weeks ago. I am surprised he hasn't commented.....
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if I can post here or not since we stopped our forum sponsorship, so if this doesn't make it through I'll know why.

Regarding the issues here - We discovered a few differences in the fuel tank depth that were not accounted for in the first design. Moving the pumps up higher was not a simple tweak to the design unfortunately.

The new updated units are finally shipping. We shortened up the unit to accommodate all tanks and generally updated the design. There is no longer any rubber hose anywhere. The pumps are sealed with o-rings. We have integrated the siphon functionality into our machined parts because moving the factory siphon over was, frankly, a PITA. We can also tune the performance of our new siphon however we want instead of re-purposing the factory one. The new design only accepts the Walbro E85 DCSS 450 LPH pumps. The new pumps also no longer have the 87psi bypass pressure. They go all the way to about 110psi.

For the people who had issues due to the pumps contacting the bottom of the tank, I apologize that the proper fix took so long to get done. Everyone who had this issue (that I know of) has already or will be receiving a replacement unit in the next week.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by SquashPerf
For the people who had issues due to the pumps contacting the bottom of the tank, I apologize that the proper fix took so long to get done. Everyone who had this issue (that I know of) has already or will be receiving a replacement unit in the next week.
Did anyone receive their replacement unit? I didn't
Old Aug 4, 2015, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Contact Andy.
I believe you will have to send your's to him and he will swap it and send it back.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 05:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Yours ships out today. You should see it Friday or Monday.

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Contact Andy.
I believe you will have to send your's to him and he will swap it and send it back.
It depends on the situation - 240Z's setup was pretty well modified to try to get it to fit in the tank correctly. These pumps are very resilient but when we cut the barbs off and things like that to try to get them to fit it's best to just replace them.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have gotten an updated pump but I have not had a chance to test it myself. English Racing installed it for me and as far as I know the install went fine. I'll update as I get time to test it.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Squash,

I attempted to contact several times via message and email to no avail.
What is the best method to sort out the fix for this item from Australia, as I am having to run my setup with no pre-pump filters due to the bottoming out.

My email is: bjperry@gmail.com

Cheers
Ben
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SquashPerf
Yours ships out today. You should see it Friday or Monday.
One week later and it still has not arrived.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

One week later and it still has not arrived.
I got so many promises about the date of shipping that it was rather absurd. In the end it did finally ship. So far so good but I'm not holding my breath until I get some actual time on it and make sure I don't have any issues.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

I want to update everyone that I received the new Squash Double pumper with pumps on Monday. I haven't had time to install, but I will provide pictures and update the results of the newly designed unit.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I want to post an update regarding the new revised double pumper from Squash Performance. I have been very busy so I apologize for the delay installing the new unit. The quality of the new unit appears as good as the original. I placed both units on a rack so that I could have the mounting surfaces on the same plane.

I then took some measurements off the table to the bottom of the filters. You can clearly see in the picture that the new unit (on the right) sits between 0.25"-0.375" higher than the previous unit. I could not get an exact measurement because the filters on the old unit had been trimmed for more clearance.

I then installed the new revised double pumper. I could not get the unit to install without removing the EFI fitting for the crossover tube, but that took all of 2 minutes to remove and reinstall. The new unit is now installed and running.

Base fuel pressure did increase by ~1.5psi due to the larger pump. I also noticed that when I kick on the second pump (with a hotwire switch) the fuel pressure jumps considerably (~8psi) more than with the previous setup. I suspect this is due to the pumps being larger as well as the new revised siphon. I have the secondary pump kick on ~12psi so I am sure I will need to retune the car under boost.

The car is on empty so I will drive it around tomorrow in the heat to make sure there are no issues and report back.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

I ran the car ~30miles on an empty tank and did not experience any issue so I believe the revised units work as advertised. I did have to retune the car under boost because the fuel pumps are creating more pressure in the system, but after 5-6 passes I have it dialed in.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
UPDATE:

I ran the car ~30miles on an empty tank and did not experience any issue so I believe the revised units work as advertised. I did have to retune the car under boost because the fuel pumps are creating more pressure in the system, but after 5-6 passes I have it dialed in.
If the previous system was able to meet target fuel pressure, then I'd say that the new system is creating an overrun condition due to too much flow through either the FPR or the return system. If possible, you might want to run the return line from the FPR into a bucket/jug and see if you get the correct fuel pressure.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
If the previous system was able to meet target fuel pressure, then I'd say that the new system is creating an overrun condition due to too much flow through either the FPR or the return system. If possible, you might want to run the return line from the FPR into a bucket/jug and see if you get the correct fuel pressure.
Base pressure before with one pump was ~45.5psi and now base pressure with one pump is ~47psi. With the previous setup when I would kick on the second pump at idle the base pressure would jump ~4psi and now with the new setup if I kick on the second pump at idle the fuel pressure jumps ~8psi. I am essential running a base pressure of 4psi greater than before when both pumps are operating.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Base pressure before with one pump was ~45.5psi and now base pressure with one pump is ~47psi. With the previous setup when I would kick on the second pump at idle the base pressure would jump ~4psi and now with the new setup if I kick on the second pump at idle the fuel pressure jumps ~8psi. I am essential running a base pressure of 4psi greater than before when both pumps are operating.
If adjusting the FPR can't bring the base pressure below 47 psi, then its definitely overrun from some aspect of the return system. Or if its the stock FPR, then also definitely overrun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squash Double Pumper Update - Significant Issues