Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Squash Double Pumper Update - Significant Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Squash Double Pumper Update - Significant Issues

Some of you may have seen my initial review of the Squash Double Pumper unit a few years back.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...le-pumper.html

The systems was installed during the winter so my initial feedback was positive. However, once the outside temperatures rose several months later and started to exceed ~80F that is when the issues started to manifest. It started on a 4.5hr drive from Richmond, VA to Charlotte, NC when I noticed my fuel pressure starting to drop when driving down the highway. It got so bad the engine was starting to backfire from running lean so I had to pull the car over. Not knowing the cause I sat for several hours to allow the engine to cool and started trying to make it home. I eventually made it home, but 3-4hrs after my expected arrival.

I spoke with Squash and he felt the fuel was getting too hot so I spent a fair amount of money reconfiguring the fuel rail as well as changing my fuel filter setup. After no success I decided to pull the Double Pumper unit to see what was happening. I confirmed the fuel was getting hot because the fuel lines where extremely hot after use.

Long story short, it was determined the pumps where pressed against the bottom of fuel tank because the unit had been designed thinking the tank was 0.5" deeper. It turns out the mockup tank was somehow not accurate so all of the units where incorrectly designed. I wasn't upset because I appreciated that Squash was trying to support the community and I wanted to work with him to correct the design problem.

Fast forward to 2015 and I don't have the updated units that were promised to me starting towards the end of 2014. And after repeated calls, e-mails, facebook posts, and PM's, Squash Performance has decided they don't want to deal with the issue and even sent me a pissy response for raising my concerns on their facebook page.

Being an engineer I decided to try and resolve the issue on my own. I essentially needed to raise the pump at least 0.300" so I started by removing the double pumper assembly. As you can see below the pump is pressed against the bottom of the tank, which causes the pump to cavitate and heat the fuel. The other pump only runs when boost exceeds 12psi per my Haltech unit.

After the double pumper was removed you can see in the tank where the pump filters are smashed against the bottom.

In order to raise the pump I decided to order two additional gaskets, which are ~0.195" thick per gasket so two of them would raise the pump ~0.390".

Once you raise the pump the threads used to secure the housing are no longer accessible so I secured some M5x0.8 barrel nuts to engage the threads below the surface of the mounting flange.

The next step was to drill the holes in the double pumper to allow for the barrel bolts to pass through. The barrel bolts are ~0.275" OD so I drilled the holes ~0.300".

Finally, I installed the unit with the three OEM gaskets, which was a PIA. The final gasket is barely secured to the pump housing so you have to be careful that it doesn't pop off during install. After several attempts I was able to secure the unit with the additional gaskets. I had to add some washers because the barrel bolts where too long, but not that big of a deal.

I let the car run for a while with both pumps on and drove it around to allow the fuel to slosh with a full tank. The results thus far show no signs of leakage so we will see what happens. The real test is to let the tank run down below a quarter tank and see of the pressure starts to drop. It usually only takes 30min when the weather is warm and the tank is low for the pressure to drop. I will update the thread to see if this is a permanent fix.

I am disappointed that Squash chose to run and hide on this issue instead of working with me to resolve. I personally will never do business with Squash Performance again because of my experience. I also spent $24(barrel nuts) + $41(2x gaskets) + $5(washers).

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; May 18, 2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Thank you for showing the problem as well as nice option to fix it. Very good, thorough information{thumbup.
Sorry to hear the company is not doing more to help out, this seemed like a very nice product.
Old May 20, 2015, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
Thank you for showing the problem as well as nice option to fix it. Very good, thorough information{thumbup.
Sorry to hear the company is not doing more to help out, this seemed like a very nice product.
I have tried to be more than fair with Squash Performance. The unit apparently has been redesigned to address the pump height issue as well as the further restricting of the supply side siphon to increase the primary pump capacity. Unfortunately, I was told in November of 2014 the new units were being anodized and would expect one soon, but that was more than 6 months ago and Squash Performance will no longer return my calls, e-mails, and PMs.
Old May 20, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has this issue as well. I spoke to Andy at Squash performance and he said I could send it in.
I figured I would just move the pumps up in the hangers and shorten the fuel lines, going off of my memory from when the pump was out.

240- Dies it look like the pumps can be raised in the hangers?
Old May 20, 2015, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Mine has this issue as well. I spoke to Andy at Squash performance and he said I could send it in.
I figured I would just move the pumps up in the hangers and shorten the fuel lines, going off of my memory from when the pump was out.

240- Dies it look like the pumps can be raised in the hangers?
No, pumps have been raised as much as possible with the shortest possible hose. Additionally, if you look at the picture below you can see the area circled in red. This aluminum bracket secures the pumps and is fixed to the pump assembly. Therefore, even if you could shorten the hoses the pumps cannot slide up.

Apparently, the new design allows the pumps to move up, but only works with the Walbro 485's so the Walbro 400's are no longer an option. This is part of the problem because if you have Walbro 400's on your Squash Double Pumper then someone has to pay for the Walbro 485s that are required with the supposed new design.

Old May 20, 2015, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

OK.
I remember before I installed mine, there was more room than that. Your's definitely won't go any higher.

I have the 485s.
Old May 26, 2015, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
unfortunate that squash is treating you this way. one question - is the primary pump running full time at full voltage? if yes, that will cause fuel heating. and a comment - my walbro 400 (non-e85) lost capacity after less than one year of use. if yours overheated to the point of having no capacity at cruise, i'd say they are toast.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
unfortunate that squash is treating you this way.
I cannot make sense of the situation so perhaps Squash can provide an update.

Originally Posted by mrfred
one question - is the primary pump running full time at full voltage? if yes, that will cause fuel heating. and a comment - my walbro 400 (non-e85) lost capacity after less than one year of use. if yours overheated to the point of having no capacity at cruise, i'd say they are toast.
Yes, the primary pump runs full time at full voltage and has been for more than 2 years. I used to run the primary off the stock switched voltage setup, but because the siphon runs off the supply side I wanted to maximize the flow of the primary pump by running it hot wired.

Since modifying the Double Pumper to raise the pumps I have now run the tank down to empty twice and it has not lost pressure like it was prior to raising the pumps. At least up to now the pump appears to be operating with no issue. I can tell when the pressure is about to drop as the E85 gauge will slowly drop from 8-10% down to 1-2% due to a lack of flow.

I don't think the overheating of the fuel caused damage to the pump as the pumps just won't flow when the fuel temperature exceeds a certain amount. I'll continue to watch for signs of pump failure and report back if that happens.
Old May 31, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I cannot make sense of the situation so perhaps Squash can provide an update.

I don't get it either, everytime I talk to them they are very helpful.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
I don't get it either, everytime I talk to them they are very helpful.
Perhaps they will tell you when the modified units will be available. I was promised a replacement unit once the new design was complete, but that clearly hasn't happened.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delete

Last edited by droppinbottom; Jun 18, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I have tried to be more than fair with Squash Performance. The unit apparently has been redesigned to address the pump height issue as well as the further restricting of the supply side siphon to increase the primary pump capacity. Unfortunately, I was told in November of 2014 the new units were being anodized and would expect one soon, but that was more than 6 months ago and Squash Performance will no longer return my calls, e-mails, and PMs.
What i dont understand is how a company makes a product and starts selling it without testing. Clearly they didnt test fit this product, or they would have seen its faults.
So fail.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 02:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by droppinbottom
I too have the squash double pumper and had many problems with it. I told them months ago when I first got mine that it was to tall and I got all kinds of excuses. We ended up modifying mine to make it work but it was very expensive for me as I had the shop do it that had my car.
Did you pull it out yet?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edit

Last edited by droppinbottom; Jun 18, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

The challenge with just removing and putting in something else is mods that had to be done to retrofit this unit. I had to cut the stock wiring harness since it was not PnP and I also had to switch to AN lines so you can't just easily swap back to stock without considerable time and expense.

My mod appears to have resolved the cavitation issue as I have not experienced a loss of pressure and the temps in Charlotte, NC have been 100F. While it did cost me ~$65 in parts it was simple to execute.

I got an inquiry regarding my comment on the siphon redesign so let me explain. The siphon is driven off the supply side, which eliminates the issue of overrunning the return line causing excessive fuel pressure at idle. However, you are taking away pump capacity because a portion of the fuel is being bypassed to run the siphon. I did some back of the envelope calculations with Squash and we estimated the amount of fuel bypassed was making my Walbro 400 flow like a Walbro 255. At my power level this was fine because the second Walbro 400 kicking on at 12psi was more than enough.

The redesign by Squash is supposedly to reduce the size of the siphon hole to decrease the amount of fuel bypassed, thereby increasing the primary pump capacity.

Quick Reply: Squash Double Pumper Update - Significant Issues