Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

ATTN Dont ever buy from Maperformance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ATTN Dont ever buy from Maperformance

Hey there, guys. So, I just recently built my Evo 9 long block; I didn't take any short cuts on this build. I bought everything brand new, from the valves to the oil pan. Everything was OEM, meaning oil pump, water pump, timing belt tensioner, etc.

I went with a 2.0 built with Manley TT rods and Manley pistons as well. I had bought some MAP H11 headstuds from MAP themselves and was careful when installing to make sure they weren't moist or anything so as to prevent them from getting damaged. I torqued them as recommended from MAP and also put proper lube on them.

After I got my long block assembled and ready to drop in, everything turned out perfect. I drove it normally and changed the oil every 300 miles to break it in properly. I then set up an appointment to get the car tuned. Everything was going fine, it drove well with no problems. I pulled up to the shop and had my mechanic re-torque my head just to be safe.

Upon taking off the valve cover we noticed a head stud was missing which was strange as hell. We additionally noticed a chunk of my cam was missing and my head had a dimple on it. After taking a closer look I saw my head stud had broken off, which surprised me and pissed me off because I had put hard-earned money into this build just to find a P.O.S. headstud broken. I was amazed...

So, I called MAP to tell them what happened with their headstud and they gave me every bullsh*t excuse not to cover their product. First, they told me we over-torqued, then they also told me we had installed them incorrectly. I was like, 'what the f*ck are you talking about?'

I explained to them that the headstud broke in half. I emailed them pictures of everything they requested and I even shipped them the remaining part of the headstud. I told them it was defective and they should cover all damages and labor, but they refused and didn't want to have anything to do with the cost of repair.

So, now I'm out headstuds, head gasket, and a single cam, plus the cost of labor. They told me they are not responsible for any damages due to failure of their headstuds and they will sell me everything at their cost, which is BS. So, now I've had to pay almost $2,000 to get my Evo up and running again.

So please, guys, learn from my mistake and do not buy anything from MAPerformance. Buy all of your parts from STM or ETS or BR because they stand behind their products and will help you in any way to make things right.

A BIG F-YOU, MAP
Attached Thumbnails ATTN Dont ever buy from Maperformance-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Evo-IXse06; Jul 28, 2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:17 PM

Old Jul 28, 2016, 04:11 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Oh snap
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by .M.
Oh snap
I don't know if that pun was intentional, but I enjoyed it.

Also, for everyone that saw the wall of text and didn't wanna go through it, I tried to do OP a solid and did a little formatting and grammar. Hopefully I kept the meaning/intent accurate:

Originally Posted by Evo-IXse06

Hey there, guys. So, I just recently built my Evo 9 long block; I didn't take any short cuts on the build. I bought everything brand new, from the valves to the oil pan. Everything was OEM, meaning oil pump, water pump, timing belt tensioner, etc.

I went with a 2.0 liter engine built with Manley TT rods and Manley pistons as well. I had bought some MAP H11 headstuds from MAP themselves and was careful when installing to make sure they weren't moist or anything so as to prevent them from getting damaged. I torqued them as recommended from MAP and also put proper lube on them.

After I got my long block assembled and ready to drop in, everything turned out perfect. I drove it normally and changed the oil every 300 miles to break it in properly. I then set up an appointment to get the car tuned. Everything was going fine, it drove well with no problems. I pulled up to the shop and had my mechanic re-torque my head just to be safe.

Upon taking off the valve cover we noticed a head stud was missing which was strange as hell. We additionally noticed a chunk of my cam was missing and my head had a dimple on it. After taking a closer look I saw my head stud had broken off, which surprised me and pissed me off because I had put hard-earned money into this build just to find a P.O.S. headstud broken. I was amazed...

So, I called MAP to tell them what happened with their headstud and they gave me every bullsh*t excuse not to cover their product. First, they told me we over-torqued, then they also told me we had installed them incorrectly. I was like, 'what the f*ck are you talking about?'

I explained to them that the headstud broke in half. I emailed them pictures of everything they requested and I even shipped them the remaining part of the headstud. I told them it was defective and they should cover all damages and labor, but they refused and didn't want to have anything to do with the cost of repair.

So, now I'm out headstuds, a head gasket, and a single cam, plus the cost of labor. They told me they are not responsible for any damages due to failure of their headstuds and they will sell me everything at their cost, which is BS. So, now I've had to pay almost $2,000 to get my Evo up and running again.

So please, guys, learn from my mistake and do not buy anything from MAPerformance. Buy all of your parts from STM or ETS or BR because they stand behind their products and will help you in any way to make things right.

A BIG F-YOU, MAP.
And since OP updated the original post, here's the original:

Hey there guys so recently i just built my Evo 9 long block didnt take any short cuts on this build bought everything brand new from valve to oil pan everything was oem meaning oil pump water pump timing belt tensioner etc ... So i went with a 2.0 with manley tt rods with manley pistons as well ... So i had bought some MAP H11s headstuds from map themselves was carefully when installing making sure they didnt moist or anything from perventing them to get damage torque them as they were recommended from MAP also put proper lube on them.... So after i got my long assemble and ready to drop in everything turn out perfect drove it normal change the oil every 300 miles broke it in properly... So i set up an appointment for my tuned everything was going fine drove nice with no problems pull up to the shop had my mechanic re tq my head just to be safe so upon taking off the valve cover we notice a head stud was missing which was strange a** hell and notice a chunk of my cam was missing and my head had a dimple on it so i look closely and notice my head stud had broken off which i was beyond surprise and pissed cause i had put hard working money into this build and just to find a pos headstud broke i was amaze ... So i called MAP to tell them what happen with their headstud and they gave me every BullS**t excuse not to cover their product first they told me we over torque then also told me we had installed them wrong .... I was like wtf are you talking about i explain to them that the headstud broke in half i email them pictures everything they requested i even shipped them the remaining of the headstud i told them it was defected and they should cover all damages and labor but they refused and didnt want anything to with the cost of repair so now im out headstuds head gasket and a single cam plus cost of labor... They told me they are not responsible of any damages due to their failure headstuds and they will sell me everything at their cost which is BS so im now ive to pay almost 2k to get my evo up and running again ... So please guys learn from my mistake do not buy anything from Maperformance buy all you parts from STM OR ETS OR BR they stand behind their products or will help you in anyway to make things right .... A BIG F U MAP

Last edited by facingeast; Jul 28, 2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
In my field of work, we would send a non failed bolt along w/the failed bolt to the metallurgy lab & have it analyzed.
Its not cheap, but it will usually discover the mode of failure & who is responsible

If I was running the MAP warranty dept, that is what I would do in this case

Sorry to see for sure & hope you get this resolved w/out too much grief

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 28, 2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that blows. im in a similar boat myself rebuilding my rebuilt engine since i had problems..
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
If they had built the motor I suspect they would stand behind it. But since they were not involved with the assembly, I don't imagine they (or any engine builder for that matter) would warranty someone else's work.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Man the more I read about map makes me think I'll never buy any of there stuff like there supposedly unbearable rods lol
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Man the more I read about map makes me think I'll never buy any of there stuff like there supposedly unbearable rods lol
Im not asking them to warranty the work im asking them to warrenty the work im asking to warranty their sh***y studs and to replace my head gasket and cam and labor due to their studs
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
moved to vendor parts service tuning thread
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
But they don't know under what circumstances the headstud broke. You say everything was done correctly, but since they were not part of the build they don't know that. The odds of a headstud failing when torques to spec is likely incredibly small, while installation error is the FAR more likely cause.

I doubt you would get a different outcome with any other engine builder.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by nemsin
But they don't know under what circumstances the headstud broke. You say everything was done correctly, but since they were not part of the build they don't know that. The odds of a headstud failing when torques to spec is likely incredibly small, while installation error is the FAR more likely cause.

I doubt you would get a different outcome with any other engine builder.
MAP took the blame they agree that the stud was defected but they just dont wanna cover the head gasket cam etc
Old Jul 28, 2016, 08:41 AM

So did you receive new headstuds or not?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by facingeast
So did you receive new headstuds or not?
Yes cause i had to buy new ones from somewhere else so this time i went with L19s
Old Jul 28, 2016, 08:44 AM

Yes cause i had to buy new ones from somewhere else so this time i went with L19s
Sorry, I should've been more clear. I wanted to know if MAP replaced any headstuds.

Quick Reply: ATTN Dont ever buy from Maperformance