Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Stm Aluminum Test Pipe Failure

Old Sep 13, 2016, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stm Aluminum Test Pipe Failure

WATCH OUT. DON'T BUY ALUMINUM EXHAUST FROM STM!

I recently picked up an aluminum test pipe from STM for my Evo 9. Installed it, drive it to the track, and had a total catastrophic failure in the middle of a session. Middle of the track and the whole thing came apart. With the back half of the exhaust dragging I was able to make into the pit. I had to pull the rest of the exhaust off at the track and drive home with no muffler.

Today I contacted STM and informed them of the failure. The response was "our aluminum test pipes will not stand up to the heat from a road course or daily driving". The claim was that the disclaimer on their website makes it clear; however, when I pointed out that they themselves said it's for track use the response was basically I should have known better. Their website even says they use this on their street cars.

In the end I learned their aluminum exhaust parts are actually useless if you drive you car. And the service from STM is beyond bad. Too bad, I thought they were one of the good guys. I'll post a pic of me removing the STM license plate frame from my truck.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Really?!?.....I've always had good experiences with them. They're one of the few companies left still making new custom Evo parts. That's too bad your exhaust failed on you, regardless of the intent of the exhaust it should have lasted longer then it did.

I'm surprised that they responded the way they did. Did you send them pictures of the failure?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I have their aluminum exhaust and have had no issues. The car is driven year around on dry, wet, gravel, snow, and anything in between.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by mdknutsen
WATCH OUT. DON'T BUY ALUMINUM EXHAUST FROM STM!

I recently picked up an aluminum test pipe from STM for my Evo 9. Installed it, drive it to the track, and had a total catastrophic failure in the middle of a session. Middle of the track and the whole thing came apart. With the back half of the exhaust dragging I was able to make into the pit. I had to pull the rest of the exhaust off at the track and drive home with no muffler.

Today I contacted STM and informed them of the failure. The response was "our aluminum test pipes will not stand up to the heat from a road course or daily driving". The claim was that the disclaimer on their website makes it clear; however, when I pointed out that they themselves said it's for track use the response was basically I should have known better. Their website even says they use this on their street cars.

In the end I learned their aluminum exhaust parts are actually useless if you drive you car. And the service from STM is beyond bad. Too bad, I thought they were one of the good guys. I'll post a pic of me removing the STM license plate frame from my truck.
how does a test pipe "fail"??
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It either fell apart at on the welds, or just fell apart in the middle. There is A LOT of heat in the exhaust doing a track day. I'm not surprised this happened. My stainless test pipe is a very dark yellow/brown. Which indicates it was heated to an approx. temp of 700*F. I wouldn't blame STM for this. The aluminum test pipe is not longer on their site, but this is the disclaimer on the aluminum cat back, and its printed in red on their site:

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...um_exhaust.htm

"Please note! We now only offer this WITHOUT the muffler. This is 100% a drag race-only system. Not for street use or road/rally and there is NO WARRANTY on Aluminum Exhausts."

If you want badass lightweight road race capable exhaust parts, go to ETS for titanium bits, or see if STM can build you a titanium exhaust (I'm sure they can).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:45 AM

Yup, sent them the photos too (I'll post them here when I get home). The response was basically, yup we are aware this will happen.

It failed by splitting in the middle. It basically broke into two sections, a front one and a back one.

This is the disclaimer they had on the test pipe:

"IMPORTANT NOTES ON ALUMINUM!
The STM Aluminum Exhaust Systems are designed for Racing! Keep in mind, they are malleable, lightweight aluminum and designed with one main goal: Performance. If you smash a speed bump... you could potentially destroy your piece! There is no warranty on these systems. We stand behind our product, and our whole STM team runs aluminum exhausts on the street and track and shows, but we cannot babysit each and every driver out there, so we deem these systems "For Track Use ONLY!"

These exhausts are a race-only product and have NO WARRANTY. If you have concerns or doubts, do not buy this piece! May be illegal to run on public highways. Please use your discretion and drive safely. This being said, you also know the STM Aluminum Exhaust Systems are the lightest option and compared to titanium... and incredibly affordable."

To me this isn't so clear that it's not intended to be used on a non-drag track or the street because it will not stand up to the heat.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Yup, sent them the photos too (I'll post them here when I get home). The response was basically, yup we are aware this will happen.

It failed by splitting in the middle. It basically broke into two sections, a front one and a back one.

This is the disclaimer they had on the test pipe:

"IMPORTANT NOTES ON ALUMINUM!
The STM Aluminum Exhaust Systems are designed for Racing! Keep in mind, they are malleable, lightweight aluminum and designed with one main goal: Performance. If you smash a speed bump... you could potentially destroy your piece! There is no warranty on these systems. We stand behind our product, and our whole STM team runs aluminum exhausts on the street and track and shows, but we cannot babysit each and every driver out there, so we deem these systems "For Track Use ONLY!"

These exhausts are a race-only product and have NO WARRANTY. If you have concerns or doubts, do not buy this piece! May be illegal to run on public highways. Please use your discretion and drive safely. This being said, you also know the STM Aluminum Exhaust Systems are the lightest option and compared to titanium... and incredibly affordable."

To me this isn't so clear that it's not intended to be used on a non-drag track or the street because it will not stand up to the heat.
so we deem these systems "For Track Use ONLY!"

Not to act like a fan boy, but I have never had an issue with STM. There was a time a long ago where they forgot to send me a small part for a catch can, but after one email they rushed it over. STM really is a good shop, but aluminum isn't the best metal for exhaust systems and they warn you that.

-pal215
Old Sep 15, 2016, 01:25 PM

I fail to see how "For Track Use Only" means not road race track. Is there some secret meaning to "track" that only includes drag racing?

"For Track Use Only" specifically does mean put it on your track car and go to town on the track. That's what I did. And then am told, no it's obvious you shouldn't do that.

I get the "no warranty", and I didn't ask them to replace it. However, there was a serious lack of communication about the intent for the pipe.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Not to act like a fan boy, but I have never had an issue with STM. There was a time a long ago where they forgot to send me a small part for a catch can, but after one email they rushed it over. STM really is a good shop, but aluminum isn't the best metal for exhaust systems and they warn you that.

-pal215
Off topic...

Only thing i dont like about STM is their handling time...if its in stock and ordered in the AM why must it take close to a week to ship?

That is all...1st world problems haha been wanting to get that off my chest for a couple days now hahah

z
E
R
E
p
Old Sep 15, 2016, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Silly you, is there any other track use than living a quarter mile at a time with a steering wheel optional?

Shame on you.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 04:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I fail to see how "For Track Use Only" means not road race track. Is there some secret meaning to "track" that only includes drag racing?

"For Track Use Only" specifically does mean put it on your track car and go to town on the track. That's what I did. And then am told, no it's obvious you shouldn't do that.

I get the "no warranty", and I didn't ask them to replace it. However, there was a serious lack of communication about the intent for the pipe.
Knowing STM, and see what they do with every single on of the cars they build, should have told you track use meant drag racing.

That being said, it still should also been obvious that aluminum would not hold up to the extended high temp environment of road course racing/driving.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
An AL exhaust always sounded like a bad idea IMO. That said STM is only place I buy parts and always will be
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Mine didn't fall off (because I ended up using different bolts in some places) but it did take a rock at some point in the session and dented in about .75 inches. Great company but slight marketing issue.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
IT'S ALUMINUM, NOT STEEL. oh, hi everyone!