Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Quartermaster 8 Leg Review for DD

Old May 22, 2014, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Quartermaster 8 Leg Review for DD

Hey everyone I decided to do a review of my QM 8leg Street version. I know when I was researching this clutch up I couldn't find a good answer on the Life length of this clutch for the DD guys. Im gonna keep updating the thread as I go.

Now for background on my car. Its an 05 VIII full bolt-ons, cams, supporting fuel mods, FP HTA Green, Stock bottom end, built tranny with 4.11fd, built TC, and rearanged Rear diff, 2 piece DS.
Power: 468whp/428wtq @30psi, E-85 very low reading Mustang Dyno

Again this is my DD and yes some might say its too much clutch for my power level, but I was tried of constantly trying to adjust my clutch pedal and slave cylinder to keep from getting High RPM lockout, Previous clutches (Act HDSS & Comp Stage 2 unsprung). Now with the 8-leg I can once again shift fast without worrying about getting a lock out and possibly messing up the transmission again. I'm no longer afraid of actually using my NLTS.

Yes the clutch is loud but its a trade off I was willing to make, I could care less what other people think that my car sounds like. It does squeak/squeal like a dying whale on slow take-off (no noise during launching). Yes when you downshift you have to rev-match to keep it from squealing also. Gear changes will be rough until you get use to the feel of the clutch pedal due to the HTOB. At first I was always getting nervous driving in traffic thinking I was gonna Stall it, but after a couple weeks I was golden.

If you have the stock DS, I would suggest getting a 2 piece asap. The clutch engages pretty hard and will make the stock Drive shaft Clunk like crazy, especially on launches. The 2 piece eliminated the clunking for me 100%.

During the break in period it was really hard to get a feel on when the clutch was gonna start grabbing for take offs, I waited till I hit 1500mi before launching it. After I launched the car a few times the clutch then got a lot more DD friendly and easily slippable for easy take offs.

So far I'm almost at 9k with the clutch No issues of slipping at WOT or anything. Also since I just got back from afghanistan I took my 30 day vacation back home to Cali from Texas and decided to drive the Evo both ways a little over 3k miles. The clutch had no issues whatsoever when I got back to both destinations.

I also do a WOT pull a day so it gets put to work a little. I always say "A WOT pull a day keeps the Mechanic Away" lol

Along with the 9k miles of driving on this clutch it also has seen 20 launches so far without a single issue. A couple of them were hot lapped where I launch did a pull and turned right around and launched again the clutch took it like a champ.

So minus the noise this clutch is pretty DD friendly, you can also just turn up the stereo and you wont hear any of the noise lol. Well like I said I will keep updating the thread as I keep racking up the miles and if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.
Old May 22, 2014, 07:08 PM

How is the pedal feel? I just did mine and the feel is crazy light, like way lighter than my ACT Stage 4. But I second all of the above, I have only drove it about 10 miles but so far so good.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FstAsVR4
How is the pedal feel? I just did mine and the feel is crazy light, like way lighter than my ACT Stage 4. But I second all of the above, I have only drove it about 10 miles but so far so good.
My pedal is extremely light and possibly is the reason why it took a little while to get fully used to it for a smooth take off. Also after I launched the first couple times the pedal did feel even lighter but hasn't changed since then.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Just an update I got this clutch still going strong with 18k of DD duties and plenty 30+ launches and plenty of mexico runs as well.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bumping this one, how many miles are you currently at?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

I just hit 20.5k and everything is still solid.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice. i was worried about the clutch life expectancy but hearing this confirms i will be getting this now. thank you for the review!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

no problem man and its the same reason why i was hesitant on getting the clutch myself, could never really find any info on how long the clutch lasted for people running it. Also every morning this thing gets slipped a lot with the line to get on through the Fort Hood gate. Normal time in that stop and go line is usually 30 minutes.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 06:47 AM

I really appreciate you making this thread. Been searching a lot on clutch info and haven't really liked what I've been reading. I was hoping it wouldn't be too overkill until my next round of mods.. Sounds like the noise is the only downside, but that's something I'm expecting. Thanks man!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
update?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

25k still going strong, car is now making 560/460 as of early October. Took the car to IFO in Dallas on the 9th of November and did 3 passes 10.7@134, 10.8@129, and 11.0@134
plan on driving it from Texas to Cali again on the 26th.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chris8aguirre
I really appreciate you making this thread. Been searching a lot on clutch info and haven't really liked what I've been reading. I was hoping it wouldn't be too overkill until my next round of mods.. Sounds like the noise is the only downside, but that's something I'm expecting. Thanks man!
could of swore i replied to your comment, but yes the only downside is the Noise lol. uphill take offs are a little tricky but you can get used to it.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by needmoreboost!!
Hey everyone I decided to do a review of my QM 8leg Street version. I know when I was researching this clutch up I couldn't find a good answer on the Life length of this clutch for the DD guys. Im gonna keep updating the thread as I go.

Now for background on my car. Its an 05 VIII full bolt-ons, cams, supporting fuel mods, FP HTA Green, Stock bottom end, built tranny with 4.11fd, built TC, and rearanged Rear diff, 2 piece DS.
Power: 468whp/428wtq @30psi, E-85 very low reading Mustang Dyno

Again this is my DD and yes some might say its too much clutch for my power level, but I was tried of constantly trying to adjust my clutch pedal and slave cylinder to keep from getting High RPM lockout, Previous clutches (Act HDSS & Comp Stage 2 unsprung). Now with the 8-leg I can once again shift fast without worrying about getting a lock out and possibly messing up the transmission again. I'm no longer afraid of actually using my NLTS.

Yes the clutch is loud but its a trade off I was willing to make, I could care less what other people think that my car sounds like. It does squeak/squeal like a dying whale on slow take-off (no noise during launching). Yes when you downshift you have to rev-match to keep it from squealing also. Gear changes will be rough until you get use to the feel of the clutch pedal due to the HTOB. At first I was always getting nervous driving in traffic thinking I was gonna Stall it, but after a couple weeks I was golden.

If you have the stock DS, I would suggest getting a 2 piece asap. The clutch engages pretty hard and will make the stock Drive shaft Clunk like crazy, especially on launches. The 2 piece eliminated the clunking for me 100%.

During the break in period it was really hard to get a feel on when the clutch was gonna start grabbing for take offs, I waited till I hit 1500mi before launching it. After I launched the car a few times the clutch then got a lot more DD friendly and easily slippable for easy take offs.

So far I'm almost at 9k with the clutch No issues of slipping at WOT or anything. Also since I just got back from afghanistan I took my 30 day vacation back home to Cali from Texas and decided to drive the Evo both ways a little over 3k miles. The clutch had no issues whatsoever when I got back to both destinations.

I also do a WOT pull a day so it gets put to work a little. I always say "A WOT pull a day keeps the Mechanic Away" lol

Along with the 9k miles of driving on this clutch it also has seen 20 launches so far without a single issue. A couple of them were hot lapped where I launch did a pull and turned right around and launched again the clutch took it like a champ.

So minus the noise this clutch is pretty DD friendly, you can also just turn up the stereo and you wont hear any of the noise lol. Well like I said I will keep updating the thread as I keep racking up the miles and if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.
Lol HAHA I am running the same clutch and you pretty much said how it sound on slow take offs lol

But Else the noise, the clutch is badass.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 06:37 AM

Nice new power you got there! Still stock block?! Can't wait for my clutch to be installed.. This thread makes me happy
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chris8aguirre
Nice new power you got there! Still stock block?! Can't wait for my clutch to be installed.. This thread makes me happy
Thanks man, and yes still stock block 147k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quartermaster 8 Leg Review for DD