Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Maperformance Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My (bad) Maperformance Experience

Just thought I would share this latest interaction with MAP. Sorry for the length but I find this entertaining. I hope you do too.

In the past I have ordered several parts from this company with nothing but positive results. Great products, fast shipping, and great communication. So, when I was looking for a clutch and flywheel they were the ones who i decided to go with. I put my order in early January and recieve it by mid January. Unfortunately, upon receipt I find that the throw out bearing for the clutch had a broken piece. Easy fix right? I send an email ticket to them the same day with pictures of the defective product attached.

2 weeks later, no response.

So I decide it would be good to call. So I do. I speak with a gentleman (forgot his name) who tells me that he will put a request in with customer support and get me taken care of. He requests pictures of the items of course and I send them (again). Great! Easy! Just as it should be right?

2 weeks later, no response.

So I figure I should call again, see what may have happened. A young gentleman by the name of Ian answered and almost immediately hooked me up with Gina from customer service. Gina states that she had sent me an email asking for pictures of the shipping box but she never got a reply. Maybe thats because I never got an email request for pictures...of the....undamaged...shipping box...? So I send Gina pictures of the...undamaged...shipping...box and by the next day Gina has me set up with the replacement throw bearing to be shipped via 2 day mail. Finally! Almost a month and a half later and I FINALLY get the part I need for the clutch and flywheel that has been sitting on my bedroom floor this whole time waiting to be installed! I check my email notification with tracking for the package and notice that the product has shipped.

UPS Ground Standard scheduled for delivery the next week...

So. The part ships on a Tuesday. I won't recieve it till the next Monday. I've been waiting more than a month for a replacement part and I'm slightly irritatted (driving an evo with a slipping clutch sucks). So I contact Gina to let her know what happened. She apologizes and says that the manufacturing company (Competition Clutch) didn't read the order for shipping right. I understand there's only so much she can do so I ask her for a favor. Get me 2 day shipping on a clutch master cylinder I was meaning to buy so that I can get it with the replacement bearing and installed the weekend after it arrives. I would pay the full price for the cmc. She directs me to her VP of customer support who essentially sends me an email saying "Gina got me your info and said youre interested in a cmc?" I dont think he was informed of the entire situation so I explain it to him and he tells me he could look into "discounting expedited shipping a *bit*". I tell him no thank you.

Finally, Monday comes. It's been over a month and a half. I come home from work. Replacement part isn't at my house. And tracking says it has been delayed until the next day. The cherry on top.

To sum it all up.

Man that whole transaction suuuuuuuuucked.

I actually came home that Tuesday, saw the box containing the bearing, walked past it, and brought some bourbon up to my room. I didn't even want to look at the damn thing (I eventually did that night just to make sure it wasn't broken....again). I've emailed MAP and they've sent me the sorry emails back but I feel like the whole time, they were reluctant to go the extra mile to help me out with a simple, but very irritating problem.

Oh btw, during all of this, I was dealing with a major leg infection (which explains the 2 weeks in between emails and calls) which took a month and a half to heal.

Unfortunately, I'll be avoiding MAP for a while.

Ok I'm done ranting, thank you for listening, have a great day!

Last edited by Uberflip; Mar 9, 2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Give title more info
Old Mar 8, 2018, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Sorry to hear. I usually work with MAP using Facebook Messenger. I'll place orders on their websites,but coordinate with Aaron on Messenger. I have always been kept updated by simply asking Aaron and he has always been responsive. Hope that doesn't change after I post this by a flood of people using this communication method!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
the second part about the delayed shipping is not entirely their fault. How is it that she was sending you emails but not getting replies from you? they go to your spam box maybe ?

I usually bounce between them and STM for parts. Never had a problem with either place.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:36 AM

I honestly enjoyed their service until this recent interaction. I've bought an exhaust, 3 port, straight pipe, and an intake with upper intercooler piping before this, no issues. But to have to deal with this the one time there is an issue that isn't their fault...such a pain.

As far as the emails, the reason why I don't think it was ever sent was because the second email she sent went to the same address, yet I received it perfectly fine, it didn't go into the spam box.

There were plenty of opportunities for them to retain a customer, but the only person I believe really cared and took action was Ian. Proper emailing, cced me so that I was in the loop, but after I was handed over to a different department....not so much...
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Ive purchased from them many times in the past as well and I was very happy. But recently it seems that their communication started lacking. Maybe sales rep i was messaging went on vacation when I sent the follow up qustions ?

Update* Well not sure what was going on at their end, but I tried again and communication was improved. So this week I decided to give MAP my business since all my purchases with them were always flawless. I’m happy to say things went smoothly as the order I placed last night shipped out today.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; May 18, 2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:47 PM

It has been the same for me. I have order from Map before with no problems. But the last time I was told they will get back to me on a set of Swift springs and it never did happened so I went elsewhere.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old thread, but figured I would add to it. Not a good experience with my first order. I ordered an exhaust with the needed adapter. Adapter was never sent and box arrived damaged with the pipe sticking out. After contacting customer support... they sent me out a new adapter that never arrived. I was then given a tracking number that shows the order being sent to the wrong address (not even close). And on top of that, the exhaust I ordered goes on sale for $104 less than what I just paid during the start of this mess. And they keep emailing me asking for reviews and to buy other items. But still no adapter and an exhaust just sitting here that can't be installed. Spent over $1000.00 on this order.. the whole deal just sucks and is unresolved as I type this! I don't see myself ordering from them again.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I just placed an order with them today for the first time. We will see how it goes...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I just placed an order with them today for the first time. We will see how it goes...
Parts received today. Cant complain besides not being able to ship the parts to my CA address. But that isnt their fault. Stupid CA.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 05:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Parts received today. Cant complain besides not being able to ship the parts to my CA address. But that isnt their fault. Stupid CA.
Been using them for years. I dont buy a lot of gear but have purchased coilovers, AEM guages, exhaust bungs, gaskets and other items. All orders full-filled & shipped promptly

No complaints.

If you call them direct vs buying on line, you can grind them for a EvOM discount
Old Nov 15, 2018, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Things working their way out with my issues. Wrong tracking number was given. Box was sitting at the post office. Nothing yet on the item going on sale a few days after I ordered it. Most companies would take care of you on that.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Uberflip
I actually came home that Tuesday, saw the box containing the bearing, walked past it, and brought some bourbon up to my room. I didn't even want to look at the damn thing (I eventually did that night just to make sure it wasn't broken....again). I'

This part is gold!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 06:34 PM

I have only purchased clutch and brake pads but both times MAP was good to work with. A little slow but I probably paid for regular shipping.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I cant count on one hand how many times I've had issues with MAP orders haha. They're great for selection, but this sort of thing happens pretty often with them. I think at least 50% of my orders with them have had some sort of issue.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Never had a problem with MAP order most of my stuff there and arrived sometimes in a few days, sometimes in a week or so. STM though, man they take long to fulfill orders, been waiting days now for the email to say my item has been shipped and its just a gasket.

Quick Reply: Maperformance Review