Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)

I own a Mitsubishi Evolution 6.5 TME and have bought a twin plate clutch kit from Comp Clutch 11 months ago every time i put the car on the dyno the flywheel melts around the flywheel bolts , so i sent them the photos of the flywheel the first time they told me that you might not have tightened the flywheel bolts at the specific torque which im pretty sure the guys at the shop did so i ordered another flywheel and same thing the 5th run on the dyno hell breaks loose the sounds and the shaking i thought that the engine blew up after dissembling the whole engine it turned out that nothing is wrong with the engine so we pulled out the clutch and boom the same thing the flywheel melted again so i called them up again and sent the photos all over again and told them this time we torque tightened the bolts to your specifications and still the same problem so they told me to buy another flywheel and ARP bolts which i did got it shipped installed and started up the car and what do you say it melted on the dyno at the 3rd run so i opened the clutch again and it melted the crankshaft face also and damaged the ATI pulley damper so this time im pissed there is nothing else they would say to do we are not amateurs in this business so for a total of 8 months im just in the shop opening and closing the engine and paying for flywheels and shipping but the 3rd time it damaged a lot of stuff more so they said can you measure this and that which i did and by the emails from the guy there they dont know what they are doing over there or what to do in this case and this stupidity costed me over $4500 in labor charges and parts and shipping which at the end in august they told me to ship over the 3 flywheels, clutch , bolts , damaged crankshaft and pulley so that their engineers would check them out and i told them i wont pay for the shipping which will cost $800 to ship from Bahrain to the States so they agreed to pay the shipping then came the excuses for about 3 months i kept calling the guy there and emailing him and he wasn't replying or answering when he was answering the phone he kept me on hold for 30-40 mins on an international phone call everytime then when he started emailing he said that we need a signature from the manager then said that the manager didnt have the authorization to sign for that kind of money but the owner will then for weeks no reply when the reply came he said that the owner has a funeral after 1 week we will have him to sign then after 2 weeks of no answer this guy ******* sent me a link on a evo forum of an evo 8 with 680whp with a stock crankshaft and STOCK FLYWHEEL and CLUTCH had a vibration which caused the flywheel to melt same as me and that all evos have vibrations from their engine that cause that and then decided that i have the same issue and its not their responsibility and if i want i should buy another flywheel !!
At the End I had to try if it’s from the engine or from the clutch kit there was a customers Evo at the shop who had his engine built so asked him to try his Excedy clutch for the dyno if anything would happen I will buy him a new one and he agreed then dyno tuned the car and took it to the strip for a couple of runs and it drove and shifted perfectly without any issues so it had to be from their kit after changing them a couple parts more than twice everytime .

SO GUYS PLEASE DONT BUY FROM THEM THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE WITH ****TY QUALITY PRODUCTS

Last edited by vette557; Nov 13, 2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Nothing wrong with the clutch or flywheel. Those pictures show the flywheel bolts came loose and let the flywheel move around on the crank. And if the flywheel bolts came loose with proper torque and red loctite, there is something wrong with the engine.

I had a clients car do the same thing. 2.3L with an OEM 100mm crank and balance shaft delete with a stock harmonic balance. Whoever built it put the pistons in backwards, so the offset wristpin was offset to the wrong side.

Not saying your engine is identical, but there is def an underlying cause to the flywheel bolts loosening up, and it's not Comp's fault.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

I changed the bolts 3 times the crank shaft twice the pistons removed the balance shaft delete kit still had the same problem and the bolts and they were torque tightened to their specs and with loctites still had the same issue after 3 flywheels , 2 crankshafts 1 Oem and the other Manley 85mm and 2 pulleys and opened the engine twice to check if everything is all in order . I tried another customers Evo clutch that was getting his engine built excedy dyno the car a took it to the strip for a couple of runs with no issues . Explain that ??!!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
nothing wrong with the clutch or flywheel. Those pictures show the flywheel bolts came loose and let the flywheel move around on the crank. And if the flywheel bolts came loose with proper torque and red loctite, there is something wrong with the engine.

I had a clients car do the same thing. 2.3l with an oem 100mm crank and balance shaft delete with a stock harmonic balance. Whoever built it put the pistons in backwards, so the offset wristpin was offset to the wrong side.

Not saying your engine is identical, but there is def an underlying cause to the flywheel bolts loosening up, and it's not comp's fault.
👆🏼
Old Nov 10, 2018, 04:56 PM
EvoM Guru

The only time I've ever seen that is when the flywheel bolts come loose. Can even see that the holes are wallowed out in the flywheel from it bouncing around on the bolts. Which is caused by something.

On this engine, you can see all the corresponding damage on the front drive stuff. Timing gear is cracked through and shows evidence of it moving around on the balance shaft pulley spacer which also cracked and has the same wear and then the face of the crank snout is messed up. The woodruff key was even messed up. And then of course the flywheel and flywheel flange on the crank are damaged just like yours. This is an exedy twin.

There is an underlying cause for this. And it's not the clutch/flywheel. There is a harmonics issue with the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo183.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo797.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo405.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo968.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo669.jpg  

Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo522.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo943.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo857.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo89.jpg   Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo954.jpg  

Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)-photo926.jpg  
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The only time I've ever seen that is when the flywheel bolts come loose. Can even see that the holes are wallowed out in the flywheel from it bouncing around on the bolts. Which is caused by something.

On this engine, you can see all the corresponding damage on the front drive stuff. Timing gear is cracked through and shows evidence of it moving around on the balance shaft pulley spacer which also cracked and has the same wear and then the face of the crank snout is messed up. The woodruff key was even messed up. And then of course the flywheel and flywheel flange on the crank are damaged just like yours. This is an exedy twin.

There is an underlying cause for this. And it's not the clutch/flywheel. There is a harmonics issue with the engine.
all outer gears ,bearings , pulleys , pumps , gaskets , bolts are new , maybe in your case it’s from the gears but when I switched clutches the car was totally fine we are 100% sure it’s from the flywheel or the whole kit .
Old Nov 11, 2018, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
comp single disc 2100 Evo disc broke at the springs 25k miles and no warranty they closed the ticket on a weekend and told me good luck in the email this was a stock Evo 9
Old Nov 11, 2018, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
comp single disc 2100 Evo disc broke at the springs 25k miles and no warranty they closed the ticket on a weekend and told me good luck in the email this was a stock Evo 9
...?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by vette557

all outer gears ,bearings , pulleys , pumps , gaskets , bolts are new , maybe in your case it’s from the gears but when I switched clutches the car was totally fine we are 100% sure it’s from the flywheel or the whole kit .
You don't understand what's going on here. Good luck.

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
I've seen every manufacturer's clutch disk have a spring/hub failure. When it happens, it's impossible to say if it was abuse or a mfg issue. For it to happen at 25k miles kinda points to it not being an mfg issue and I wouldn't expect them to warranty it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I have never seen any flywheel "torqued to spec" work. This goes for all cars ever, and especially Mitsubishi and as they are modded it only gets worse. The joke about it being loctite and 2 ugga uggas is real, its the only way to keep them on. The 95 ft lbs "spec" has never ever worked.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lease take my full name out of your posts

I get the company upset you.

But I DID EVERYTHING possible to help. I wanted to find out why this clutch failed. But, I was bound by you being in Bahrain and them in the states. So I couldn't just eat the $1,200 each way for shipping each time.

Get we didn't get to fix the scenario in the way you would completely like, but did everything we could to help.

Don't want you bashing my PERSONAL name on the internet when It's documented that I did everything I could. And not my problem, but a problem between Competition Clutch and you. not ME.

So please, next time think before you post angrily. Will find it. So take it down please.

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 13, 2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Siebert41
lease take my full name out of your posts

I get the company upset you.

But I DID EVERYTHING possible to help. I wanted to find out why this clutch failed. But, I was bound by you being in Bahrain and them in the states. So I couldn't just eat the $1,200 each way for shipping each time.

Get we didn't get to fix the scenario in the way you would completely like, but did everything we could to help.

Don't want you bashing my PERSONAL name on the internet when It's documented that I did everything I could. And not my problem, but a problem between Competition Clutch and you. not ME.

So please, next time think before you post angrily. Will find it. So take it down please.

Yes my name is **** you kept me hanging for months with promises and solutions and then at the end just an email ( IF YOU WANT BUY ANOTHER FLYWHEEL ) btw I got you quotes from every shipping company we have here when you asked to get it and it was $800 not $1200 and it’s not like your paying it from your own pocket , that was the cost to ship 3 flywheels a twin plate clutch and a crankshaft , I do not own a company to get a better price and you guys told me you need every damaged part to check them out not me and youkept me on hold for more than 30 mins on an international call and never called back or email back is that right !! So your name will stick to the thread as you have no manners as well as your company that tricked me and made me lose thousands of dollars because of your deceiving strategies you have going on there and then send me a forum thread of a 600+whp Evo that has a Stock clutch and flywheel and compare it to my situation ?! And say that’s it here’s your problem it’s not from us it’s from you good bye if you want buy another flywheel after 11 months ?!?!?

Last edited by vette557; Nov 13, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 01:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ok Gents / Posts cleaned up

Old Nov 13, 2018, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Ok Gents / Posts cleaned up

Last edited by vette557; Nov 13, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
OP,

I understand you're angry, but I think you should go back and try to understand what letsgetthisdone has posted. The way your engine is behaving could be the reason why the flywheel bolts keep loosening up. Even with different clutches and cranks, it could still be doing the same thing. Think engine block bores and line bore. The fact that it shows up on the CC clutch kit doesn't mean that the company is bad because many people are running it with no problems.

On a side note, it's never a good idea to list out someones first and last names on a forum. You could accidentally put them and their families in danger and that's not considerate at all given today's climate.