Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competition clutch bad clutch kits (cheap quality)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
OP,

I understand you're angry, but I think you should go back and try to understand what letsgetthisdone has posted. The way your engine is behaving could be the reason why the flywheel bolts keep loosening up. Even with different clutches and cranks, it could still be doing the same thing. Think engine block bores and line bore. The fact that it shows up on the CC clutch kit doesn't mean that the company is bad because many people are running it with no problems.

On a side note, it's never a good idea to list out someones first and last names on a forum. You could accidentally put them and their families in danger and that's not considerate at all given today's climate.

How would he or his family be in danger ?? What are you talking about !!! If there is something with my engine as you guys are saying why didn’t it happen while I dynoed the car and raced it with the excedy clutch just to figure out is it from this or that , I tried everything changed and reboltef and torque everything to figure it out then i was 110% sure it was from the clutch kit ?!?!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by vette557

How would he or his family be in danger ?? What are you talking about !!! If there is something with my engine as you guys are saying why didn’t it happen while I dynoed the car and raced it with the excedy clutch just to figure out is it from this or that , I tried everything changed and reboltef and torque everything to figure it out then i was 110% sure it was from the clutch kit ?!?!

You may not have known this, but Identity theft and burglary is a big problem in the states. This is especially true once people find out you have money.

The Exedy clutch working means that it can be better at hiding the issue. It doesn't mean the issue is gone with the exedy clutch installed. Think of it this way, the material hardness and shape of the CC flywheel and exedy flywheel might be different, but both tested within the TYPICAL thresholds to be reliable for the evo under their rated torque. If your car is out of the typical functioning threshold for harmonic vibration for example, you can destroy clutches that would have worked otherwise.

I'm not defending CC, but I am asking you to explore all possibilities.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
*has problem with engine*
*throws parts at engine*
*problem persists*
*blames part manufacturer*

That's the summary of this thread.

Lots of vendors and companies can be a pain in the *** to communicate with nowadays, it's a sad fact. Sucks you had that trouble but as already said OP, bolt holes don't enlarge themselves if things are torqued properly. With that said I've never once seen flywheel bolts back out with loctite on them, sure doesn't look like loctite on those threads in your pics and the stock bolts are torque to yield so they're not to be reused. If your harmonic balancer was damaged it sounds more like an internal issue with the engine to me. Also, don't complain about being out money for labor, it's not anyone elses' fault that you can't do the work yourself. Losing money is all part of modifying a car man, deal with it or don't do it.

PS learn how to use a period. Jesus that OP is an eyesore.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
*has problem with engine*
*throws parts at engine*
*problem persists*
*blames part manufacturer*

That's the summary of this thread.

Lots of vendors and companies can be a pain in the *** to communicate with nowadays, it's a sad fact. Sucks you had that trouble but as already said OP, bolt holes don't enlarge themselves if things are torqued properly. With that said I've never once seen flywheel bolts back out with loctite on them, sure doesn't look like loctite on those threads in your pics and the stock bolts are torque to yield so they're not to be reused. If your harmonic balancer was damaged it sounds more like an internal issue with the engine to me. Also, don't complain about being out money for labor, it's not anyone elses' fault that you can't do the work yourself. Losing money is all part of modifying a car man, deal with it or don't do it.

PS learn how to use a period. Jesus that OP is an eyesore.
I would have spent double the amount of all the parts that I have installed money is not the the issue .
I guess you didn’t read the whole post talking about stock bolts and don’t modify if you can’t modify a car , if you have a solution or an idea talk about it other than that shhhh skip the thread .
Old Nov 13, 2018, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Lol I do. It was already recommended by someone else, have a machinist who's worth their weight go through the engine or get a different one.

Why are you even still having the same shop do all this work? More likely than not the issue is with the shop you're using.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...?
Heres some more proof comp sucks and they won't even waranty their ****ty parts when it fails. You can clearly see how much life is left on the disc I have an Evo 9 I drive on weekends never been launched either and is mostly stock with bolt ons. I could have just bought a stock clutch and it would be fine and not do this.... Moral of the story is don't buy clutches from Competition Clutch unless you just like wasting time and money.

Last edited by 3gturbo; Nov 15, 2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
Heres some more proof comp sucks and they won't even waranty their ****ty parts when it fails. You can clearly see how much life is left on the disc I have an Evo 9 I drive on weekends never been launched either and is mostly stock with bolt ons. I could have just bought a stock clutch and it would be fine and not do this.... Moral of the story is don't buy clutches from Competition Clutch unless you just like wasting time and money.

Old Nov 16, 2018, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You don't understand what's going on here. Good luck.

I've seen every manufacturer's clutch disk have a spring/hub failure. When it happens, it's impossible to say if it was abuse or a mfg issue. For it to happen at 25k miles kinda points to it not being an mfg issue and I wouldn't expect them to warranty it.
The stock clutch I removed wasn't broke after 125k so why would a "stronger" clutch break at the springs. I had the shop rebuild the trans and it was professionaly installed by Dynotime speed works. You just refuse to believe that comp sucks even with evidence.

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 16, 2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
the stock clutch I removed wasn't broke after 125k so why would a "stronger" clutch break at the springs. I had the shop rebuild the trans and it was professionaly installed by Dynotime speed works. You just refuse to believe that comp sucks even with evidence.

Those people are sent by Comp Clutch to say that their products are good to buy and it’s the garage’s or shops Fault to do things right

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 16, 2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I have had excellent experiences with Comp Clutch, I have absolutely zero negative to say. Their customer service is exceptional, and they have jumped through hoops to make sure I was happy.
Are you dealing directly with Comp Clutch?
I run their twin disc, and was advised the discs would last around 20K miles. You gotta pay to play.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO
I have had excellent experiences with Comp Clutch, I have absolutely zero negative to say. Their customer service is exceptional, and they have jumped through hoops to make sure I was happy.
Are you dealing directly with Comp Clutch?
I run their twin disc, and was advised the discs would last around 20K miles. You gotta pay to play.

We pay to play harder than you son and was in contact directly with Comp clutch . You should read the posts before posting anything .
Old Nov 16, 2018, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

We pay to play harder than you son and was in contact directly with Comp clutch . You should read the posts before posting anything .
I did read the posts before I posted. You mentioned someone’s name who replied on the thread, I was unaware he is an affiliate for Comp Clutch.
Regardless your unwilling to listen to what anyone in this thread is telling you. For the flywheel bolts to keep backing out like they are, something is wrong with the harmonics of the engine, or the shop doing the work is incompetent and isn’t putting Locktite on the flywheel bolts. I’ve never seen a flywheel bolts with Locktite back out.

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 16, 2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO

I did read the posts before I posted. You mentioned someone’s name who replied on the thread, I was unaware he is an affiliate for Comp Clutch.
Regardless your unwilling to listen to what anyone in this thread is telling you. For the flywheel bolts to keep backing out like they are, something is wrong with the harmonics of the engine, or the shop doing the work is incompetent and isn’t putting Locktite on the flywheel bolts. I’ve never seen a flywheel bolts with Locktite back out.

il post videos later that I sent when installing the bolts with locktite with their specific torque to show them that we were doing it the right way .

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 16, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I had a comp stage 3.5 or whatever in my car for 30k miles before it wore out, didn't have any issues with it. Went to an exedy twin disk after that because I wanted something with the torque capacity that drove a bit nicer.

I've installed like 8 or 9 comp's brought to me by customers, all single disk. No one has had an issue yet. Also put a few twin and triple disk comp's in without issue.

You guys can go on with your comp hate, but expecting someone to warranty a flywheel that fell off for unknown reasons, or warranty a clutch disk that failed OUTSIDE of the warranty period is asinine.

Alleging that I have some connection with Comp is hilarious.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I had a comp stage 3.5 or whatever in my car for 30k miles before it wore out, didn't have any issues with it. Went to an exedy twin disk after that because I wanted something with the torque capacity that drove a bit nicer.

I've installed like 8 or 9 comp's brought to me by customers, all single disk. No one has had an issue yet. Also put a few twin and triple disk comp's in without issue.

You guys can go on with your comp hate, but expecting someone to warranty a flywheel that fell off for unknown reasons, or warranty a clutch disk that failed OUTSIDE of the warranty period is asinine.

Alleging that I have some connection with Comp is hilarious.
You probably didn’t have a Evo 6 Tommi Makinen built at your garage . So maybe it’s a different case here .