Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Arashi billet BALL BEARING TD06HR 25g 6+6 stock location review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
I would be lying if I said transient response is like stock lol, however it’s not too bad, driving around town the way I do there is enough power at any rpm range but less than the stock turbo mainly because the sticker spools faster. I have nothing to compare this turbo to sadly, I wish I could drive a local car with a black or a red that way I could at least say hey it’s similar to one or the other. I need to boost leak test just to make sure nothing is leaking and also need to figure out my tial 50mm, seems to be malfunctioning which could be hurting transient response some. Also besides tuning itself I’m going to try and adjust the wastegate actuator itself and see what that does for spool. I left the spring pack untouched which from the factory is setup for 16psi.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Also if any of you are curious to see any videos I have some on my Instagram account which is boost_reality I’ll try to upload some on youtube but my internet isn’t the greatest so it takes forever to upload.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
@SnailSpeed I would have thought the ball bearing would bring it closer to stock as far as transient response goes. Granted it has bigger compressor and turbine wheels so expectations should be dictated based on physics. But I do agree that with more fine tuning you could find some more out of it.

Also would love to see what you come up with as a solution for the small J pipe.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
@SnailSpeed I would have thought the ball bearing would bring it closer to stock as far as transient response goes. Granted it has bigger compressor and turbine wheels so expectations should be dictated based on physics. But I do agree that with more fine tuning you could find some more out of it.

Also would love to see what you come up with as a solution for the small J pipe.
Yeah it would be hard to make a turbo with these kind of wheel sizes to have transient response of a stock turbo. The 25g blade is an old design, paired with the 9 blade turbine wheel doesn’t really help. But for the price you pay you do get a lot. As for the jpipe perhaps in the future I’ll fab one up, I tapered the inlet a bit on the one I have now which idk if it even makes a difference. After I try to get a few last things sorted I might try to turn up the boost to 30ish and push some methanol or maybe even try e85 but i have a stock bottom end @ 127k so kinda don’t wanna risk popping anything.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a turbolab 25G was hitting full boost 4200 RPM and made 505 whp on a dynojet on 92 octane.

Car was a super build though

2.3 motor
cbr extreme port im
70mm throttle s90
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

I may be able to get it to spool faster, in 4th gear I was able to hit full boost by 4200 ish, one of my next days off I’ll try to mess with the wastegate actuator and see what that does. This isn’t a super build by any means, super basic and typical bolt ons and stock bottom end, stock tb and im.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Give that thing more preload and move the powerband to the left!

Also, any idea lb/min this turbo flows? I know we were chatting about this but Im shocked to hear you might be out on injector on 92 pump with 1000cc injectors.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Give that thing more preload and move the powerband to the left!

Also, any idea lb/min this turbo flows? I know we were chatting about this but Im shocked to hear you might be out on injector on 92 pump with 1000cc injectors.
Yes that’s what I did today, will go out tomorrow and see what happens, hopefully it will spool quicker. Have no clue what it flows honestly. As for running out of fuel I’m still gonna mess with the ve table and see if it responds up top. I might need to add more to ve than my math is telling me to.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I was playing with the tune today and I believe I saw full boost at around 45-4600 in third gear, tune still needs a little tweaking fuel and timing wise upon spool up. Up top I pretty much have it dialed in. Also a friend rolled up on his evo 9 mr which is equipped with the fp red and similar mods however his car did have a map rev3 ported manifold and a 65mm throttle body of some sort but I don't remember the name. His car also had a different o2 dump and exhaust. Last thing is his car was tuned by Aaron at English Racing and put down 465 on their dyno. So we did a few runs and the cars were dead even, like literally dead even. I got to drive his car afterwards just so I could feel the difference in spool, there is a noticeable difference between the two turbos. The fp red has a hit, the 25g rolls on smoother, and obviously a bit later too.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
Ok so I was playing with the tune today and I believe I saw full boost at around 45-4600 in third gear, tune still needs a little tweaking fuel and timing wise upon spool up. Up top I pretty much have it dialed in. Also a friend rolled up on his evo 9 mr which is equipped with the fp red and similar mods however his car did have a map rev3 ported manifold and a 65mm throttle body of some sort but I don't remember the name. His car also had a different o2 dump and exhaust. Last thing is his car was tuned by Aaron at English Racing and put down 465 on their dyno. So we did a few runs and the cars were dead even, like literally dead even. I got to drive his car afterwards just so I could feel the difference in spool, there is a noticeable difference between the two turbos. The fp red has a hit, the 25g rolls on smoother, and obviously a bit later too.
Awesome. MHI or SS Red?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Awesome. MHI or SS Red?
It was the mhi ball bearing twin scroll with the 11 blade turbine wheel.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
Ceramic coated the hotside after porting and polishing it. Used DEI 010301. When cured properly this stuff works nearly as good as commercial grade coatings.

I really regret not coating mine. Two days out in heavy rain and it's got a nice complete coating of surface rust all over the hotside. Oh well, what did I expect.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I really regret not coating mine. Two days out in heavy rain and it's got a nice complete coating of surface rust all over the hotside. Oh well, what did I expect.
Yeah it rains a lot here in the Pacific Northwest so that’s why I did it. Plus it looks a little cleaner.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX

Had a turbo on my car and it was left outside for a hour in the rain once and had the same thing happen. The coating is definitely worth the cost for sure.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

So on my 9th revision and this is what it looks like so far. There are a few rich dips that are kinda tricky to work out because of some lag from the wideband but eventually I will take care of them which might make the midrange even better.

Quick Reply: Arashi billet BALL BEARING TD06HR 25g 6+6 stock location review