EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review-176/)
-   -   VR Speed Factory Tuning Service Reviewed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/539556-vr-speed-factory-tuning-service-reviewed.html)

mchristian Feb 13, 2011 08:07 PM

VR Speed Factory Tuning Service Reviewed

Wanted to share my experience with the community on my latest mod.

Car:
2006 Evo IX GSR 5 speed

Mods:
Stock Block / Head (unported)
FP Black w/ 25psi wga
27psi on 93 Oct
Hallman pro
Kelford 272
ARP head studs
ID1000 Injectors
Sparktech ignition
Walbro 255
Works 65mm tb
AMS intercooler + upper/lower piping
Tial QR bov
Magnus heatshield barrier gasket
Buschur ported intake manifold
Buschur ported exhaust manifold
Buschur o2 housing
Perrin exhaust and downpipe
Tephra v7

Car previously tuned by Derek @ AWD in Coral Springs, FL which yielded 433hp, 348 tq.

Over the prior months, I picked up ECU Flash, EvoScan and a Tactrix because I was unsatisfied with how the car was running, I wanted to learn more and monitor what was going on inside my Evo. After I purchased the hardware/software combo I found the car was seeing regular and consistent knock of up to 6 counts. My first suggestion for anyone reading this that wants to protect their investment and do any significant modifications to their sports car… is to pick up the equipment and have the knowledge to “see” what is happening, you don’t need to know everything…just get familiar enough to MONITOR the car and its condition! This alone is worth every penny, not to mention its fun.

Tom at VR Speed sent me a PM and offered to help with my tuning needs. The pricing for the tuning service was fantastic…$150 bucks vs. $400 I paid at AWD. After giving it some thought I made payment and he starting working with me promptly. It was great to work with a tuner that is willing to share the knowledge and provide insight into the changes each step of the way. This was a conversion from the AWD tune to TephraV7 and all my questions were answered; he worked late nights and weekends to accommodate my busy schedule, and each time I made a pull, he returned my log with an updated rom and a quick summary of the changes…very helpful when you’re interested in the details. We ran into several bugs that needed working out along the way and he never rushed the job.

I have absolutely no new mods since my last tune. The car now runs better, has zero knock, spools sooner and is making significantly more hp & tq. I was impressed how much smoother my timing & fuel maps are. Below are a couple before/after comparisons and the final results. The car is making great power for my mods/93 pump and is a blast to drive! :usflag:

Virtual Dyno:
http://www.matthew-christian.com/ima...3_02.23.45.jpg

Thank you Tom & VR Speed! :beer:

tscompusa2 Feb 14, 2011 12:21 AM

Thanks for the review Matt {thumbup}

ill just say the awd tune was not bad though, and pretty smooth as you posted the 3d map above.. the dip in there for people that dont know any better is for exhaust backfire.

that tune would not have knocked if it wasnt for your phantom knock issues. ;)

mchristian Feb 14, 2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa (Post 9073908)
Thanks for the review Matt {thumbup}

ill just say the awd tune was not bad though, and pretty smooth as you posted the 3d map above.. the dip in there for people that dont know any better is for exhaust backfire.

that tune would not have knocked if it wasnt for your phantom knock issues. ;)

Thanks again, Tom! The car is silky smooth and a beast!
The flame throwing between shifts is fun but just to clarify for anyone reading, the dip in my old awd map was a way of helping build boost while on stationary rev limiter to produce a better launch. Converting to TephraV7 w/launch maps is a better feature imo because you don't drive through those cells or hit'em when not needed.

03evilution Feb 14, 2011 08:31 AM

great info{thumbup}

06MREvo Feb 14, 2011 08:40 AM

Smoooooooth timing map, nice job Tom! {thumbup}

tscompusa2 Feb 14, 2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mchristian (Post 9074227)
Thanks again, Tom! The car is silky smooth and a beast!
The flame throwing between shifts is fun but just to clarify for anyone reading, the dip in my old awd map was a way of helping build boost while on stationary rev limiter to produce a better launch. Converting to TephraV7 w/launch maps is a better feature imo because you don't drive through those cells or hit'em when not needed.

NP.. my bad i guess i didnt know what it was then :o

Originally Posted by 06MREvo (Post 9074532)
Smoooooooth timing map, nice job Tom! {thumbup}

Thanks BJ {thumbup}

jmcmill3 Feb 14, 2011 03:30 PM

[quote=tscompusa;9075727]NP.. my bad i guess i didnt know what it was then :o

the more results i see the more i cant wait to get my tune, the only thing stopping me, which im still highly considering is that im in afghanistan and im not sure if the wife could handle doing the necessary 3rd gear pulls and uploading the new ROMs

tscompusa2 Feb 14, 2011 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=jmcmill3;9075824]

Originally Posted by tscompusa (Post 9075727)
NP.. my bad i guess i didnt know what it was then :o

the more results i see the more i cant wait to get my tune, the only thing stopping me, which im still highly considering is that im in afghanistan and im not sure if the wife could handle doing the necessary 3rd gear pulls and uploading the new ROMs

I dont know what the setup consists of but if shes not used to quick cars i dont recommend it.

MR Turco Feb 14, 2011 05:44 PM

No posting of vendor maps, that includes the timing 3d graph.

tscompusa2 Feb 15, 2011 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by MR Turco (Post 9076209)
No posting of vendor maps, that includes the timing 3d graph.

he has permission to post mine, but i did tell him it was not a good idea posting another vendors without their permission when i seen the review he did here :lol:

mchristian Feb 15, 2011 04:07 AM

My appoligies

03evilution Feb 15, 2011 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jmcmill3 (Post 9075824)

hey man tell me about it i finally got back from iraq not too long ago and was in contact with tom for quite a bit while out there...sucks having to wait but then once u get home u get to have the fun{thumbup}

mchristian Feb 15, 2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 03evilution (Post 9077078)
hey man tell me about it i finally got back from iraq not too long ago and was in contact with tom for quite a bit while out there...sucks having to wait but then once u get home u get to have the fun{thumbup}

Tom will do you right...I agree, working with a tuner yourself vs watching your car on a dyno is much more fun. :D

03evilution, thank you for your service!!!!! :usflag:

jmcmill3 Feb 15, 2011 07:05 PM

[quote=tscompusa;9076178]

Originally Posted by jmcmill3 (Post 9075824)

I dont know what the setup consists of but if shes not used to quick cars i dont recommend it.

i dont want to thread jack, but we have spoke in the past, i was on leave about to go back to afghanistan (back in nov).

just evo9 basic bolt on's w/ kelfords, fp black is on the way, but not yet, she daily drives the car w/ my rough tune

tscompusa2 Feb 15, 2011 07:10 PM

you quoted the wrong person i dont know how that got messed up..... i think when i quoted him his initial quote of mine was mangled now yours is as well lol.

if you think shes capable of doing it then it wont make any difference to me.. its an easy process.