EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review-176/)
-   -   Fluidampr impressions (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/678218-fluidampr-impressions.html)

mrfred Dec 17, 2013 08:10 AM

Fluidampr impressions

This is the classic non-power mod that is impoosible to prove that it provides a useful benefit unless some high tech crank angle measurement equipment is available. After contemplating buying one several times, I finally bought one from Tom at TSComp. I figured that my stock damper isn't going to last forever, so I might as well get the Fluidampr sooner than later. :D

Installation was very straightforward up to the point where I realized it was not sitting flush against the end of the crank. After fiddling around with a bunch of measurements, I finally realized that it was hitting the lip on the timing belt cover. The stock damper has a recess for the lip while the back of the Fluidampr is flat. Apparently, some people have this issue while others do not. Anyhow, trimming the height of the lip by ~1/16" took care of the issue.

I had no expectation of being able to feel a difference, but to my surprise, the engine is very noticably smoother across the rpm range under all driving conditions except at idle where the motor feels the same. Of course this does not guarantee that its damping torsional vibrations any better, so I can only hope that its not filled with snake oil and is really doing that job more effectively. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

DSMdynamic Dec 30, 2013 09:42 AM

Good to see you're happy with it. I've got one sitting in my closet that will be going on my motor in the near future.

aggieEVO Dec 30, 2013 12:40 PM

Thanks for the review. I'd love to put one on my motor.

ace33joe Feb 18, 2014 03:37 PM

Thanks for the review, Mychailo.

I was also wondering several times whether I should get one or not too.

So your engine does have new rods and pistons? (Drop-in build means this?)

I might get one sooner or later, although my internals are stock as of now.

InfernoEagle Feb 18, 2014 03:59 PM

I'm glad to hear good things about this damper. I actually just purchased one on the 15th so I could ask the shop that's gonna be doing my 60k service to install it while they're in there. I figured I'll be eventually modding my motor so why not throw it in there now?

mrfred Feb 18, 2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ace33joe (Post 11119923)

So your engine does have new rods and pistons? (Drop-in build means this?)

Yep.

Boostin_hard Feb 19, 2014 09:58 AM

I have one of these on my car! :thumbup:

boostedwrx Sep 29, 2018 08:56 PM

Same model for the oem 2.4 crank?

doncarbone Sep 13, 2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 11841437)
Same model for the oem 2.4 crank?

I know this is old, but yes. I have a built 2.4L and I'm using the 4G63 Fluidampr.

Dallas J Sep 13, 2019 01:20 PM

I do all kinds of stupid stuff to drop weight off the nose of the car and I still wont go without a dampened pulley on a 4g motor. Just empirical evidence based on 20 years of seeing what cars have had when motor issues pop up. But the engineer in me would love to see someone put real testing and numbers to it.