EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review-176/)
-   -   Boostin Performance in-depth Review. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/689158-boostin-performance-depth-review.html)

Jedi_Gill Apr 21, 2014 10:25 PM

Boostin Performance in-depth Review.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...k%20Wheels.JPG

Preface: (Skip to -Conclusion- if you don't want background details)

Hello everyone my name is Gilbert, I've been a member of Evom for sometime now and am deeply routed in the Chicago DSM/Evo community; Some of you may even know me by my car enthusiast T-Shirts GillTee. I want to mention this to re-affirm the integrity of my words in this review. Every word I type is truly based on my emotions and feelings in dealing with Boostin Performance.

This review covers service I received on 8/28/13 - 11/20/13. I know it's a little late but I have a 1 1/2 year old child and new parents will understand when I say I had to prioritize. However I feel my experience at Boostin was so important to the community, I just had to write a review based on my experience.

Story: (It all started at shootout)

My story begins at the 2013 DSM/Shootout. I was ready to compete in the Evo Stock Appearing class standing a good chance of being a top competitor making 612whp. Friday, the day before qualifying a buddy of mine goes for a test run and what was starting to become a notchy 3rd gear in the Trans was now completely gone after a pull. I was so disappointed not being able to race that weekend but was thankful to friends for helping the car even get to the event. (Another story).

When I returned from the shootout my goal was to try and get the car running again before the end of the year to make a complete pass.

Boostin Gets involved (If you skipped the Preface/Story section; FYI my trans 3rd gear is blown).

I called some shops in my area (Chicago) looking for assistance in pulling the trans and what I found what was not many shops had the ability to let my car sit in their shop for too long. I had my transmission built by Jacks Trans and my initial goal was to send it back to them for repair.

When I called boosting Kristin was very nice and accommodating over the phone. She assured me they would find a way shuffling my car around to allocate the time I needed for the transmission to be returned. I had used boosting performance to tune my car but I'm very skeptical of trusting new shops with my car. Considering no other shop was willing to accommodate me I was willing to take the risk in hopes of accomplishing my goal. Everything seemed right on track.

For anyone that's been in the car game as long as I it's a known law that even the simplest of things don't go easy. As the Transmission was about to be pulled, Boostin Performance noticed quite a bit of oil leakage coming from my FP Black. Cylinder 3 was also leaking quite a bit of oil and it wasn't looking good. After some hard decision making, I knew the right thing to do was pull the motor to get it inspected. I had not done this before since I rebuilt it and it was best to refresh it and make sure it was safe and sound than risk not checking it and having it blow up later. Not only was this now going to break the bank but it would assure I would most likely not meet my goal of making a pass before the year end.

The Engine was pulled and I picked it up and transported it to Terry at Class One motors. One thing that I loved about Boostin immediately was that they where easily willing to accommodate and work with me on who I wanted some of my car's work performed by. I have a great relationship with Terry at Class one and had a great experience with Jacks transmissions that I never felt pressured nor a sales pitch to get any services only done by Boostin. In the end I started to have more faith in Boostin and to speed up the process, I asked Devin to take a quick look at my transmission. Good thing I did as it turned out it was a simple fix replacing only 3rd gear and some synchros in my trans. Not only had this saved me time but also $$$ in shipping costs I would have spent.

All coming together

After a few weeks everything was finally starting to come back together. The engine was finally finished from Class one Motors, it turned out to be a good thing Devin spotted the troubles with my car. That quick check saved me from a blown block as one of my rods was slightly bent and my pistons where starting to show signs of cracking. 700whp (Dynojet) is no Joke ladies and gentlemen and let me remind you, "You pay to play". FP also warrantied and refreshed my FP Black Free of charge. The motor from Class one was bare-bones with only the rods, pistons and springs in place. IT still needed to be fully assembled head and everything. It was now up to Devin and his crew of madmen to put the Frankenstein evo back together.

***I really want to highlight something important about this picture***
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...stin/Front.JPG

Here is a picture of my car when the engine install was completed. Aside of noticing the clean engine bay work that Boostin completed, I want your eyes to shift to the sides of this picture and notice the Wheels resting at an angled position. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and I really want to state something important about this picture that is not obvious at first.

One of my concerns with my car's CCW Rims is that because they are quite wide, if they where to accidentally fall no matter which side they fall, they will scuff on the inner or outer lip of the rim. I was so impressed when I saw this picture as it proved to me that they truly did care about my car as much I as did. I had relayed these instructions to Kristin weeks ago and here it is near completion they where still following and addressing my concerns.

Another brownie point that Boostin deserves is that I called them one day when the motor was pulled that I was concerned the E-85 in the injectors would potentially clog up since the car would be sitting a long time. (PSA : E-85 that sits too long in your car is toxic and dangerous to your injectors) I was pleasantly surprised to know that Kristin had already thought of this in advance and the injectors where already cleaned through their injector cleaner waiting for the motor to return.

In Conclusion:

I was overjoyed with the service and attention to detail I received at Boostin Performance. Not only did they house my car for almost 3 months at their shop, but during the process they consistently demonstrated exemplary customer service. I was always updated on the status of my car; addressing any concerns I had as silly as they might have been, and overall showing me that they truly cared about my car as much as I do.

To put icing on the cake, when the car was finally delivered I received a free on the house wash and detail completely as a surprise to me. I'm guessing they knew since the car sat for 3 months it really needed a bit of love; again it's their attention to detail and car that won me over. The car made 610 whp on their Mustang Dyno same numbers as before but the motor was much more quieter and the transmission was shifting as good as new. {thumbup}

Here is a post they made regarding the end result.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rformance.html

The only negative thing I can think of is that unfortunately their services aren't free. :) As one of my T-shirts says "The faster I go the more broke I get" this is a joke, but in all honesty for the quality of work their prices where very fair.

These are a short list of services I got completed on this visit:

1. Removal and installation of Motor including rebuilding the bare bones block.
2. Weight Reductions
3. Ceramic Wheel Bearing work
4. Rebuilt Transmission
5. Installed AEM and tuned it for 93 pump and E-85. (Devin promised me it would run like stock on AEM V2 and I have yet to notice a difference -Couldn't be happier)
6. Installed Aluminum Drive-shaft.
7. Boostin broke in the new motor for me on their Dyno and properly prepped it for a tune.

Hope you enjoyed my long but honest review. (Gilbert)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tin/Engine.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Wheels%202.JPG

aggieEVO Apr 22, 2014 07:46 AM

Great review! Thanks for that. Any time I've seen a post by Boostin it's been helpful and informative. Glad to see they treat customers right.

AngryEvo8 Apr 22, 2014 09:00 AM

Finding time in today's day and age is hard to do Gilbert :lol: Amazing review! There are few constantly pushing the envelope and delivering the mail like Boostin. Many shops are primarily focused on making their shop car "fast" but when you can do that with BOTH customers cars and the shop car is a true example of customer service.

Last year I set a goal to go 9.50's @ 150s sometime before the year was over. After August I had to set a new goal because the previous one was quickly met. The right skills and guidance go along way! Im also glad Boostin has helped me get my car where it is today! :thumbup:

Jedi_Gill Apr 22, 2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8 (Post 11185758)
Finding time in today's day and age is hard to do Gilbert :lol: Amazing review! There are few constantly pushing the envelope and delivering the mail like Boostin. Many shops are primarily focused on making their shop car "fast" but when you can do that with BOTH customers cars and the shop car is a true example of customer service.

Last year I set a goal to go 9.50's @ 150s sometime before the year was over. After August I had to set a new goal because the previous one was quickly met. The right skills and guidance go along way! Im also glad Boostin has helped me get my car where it is today! :thumbup:

Thank you Jason, i'm still in awe at your 9.50's at 150mph.. :) I guess I know what I have to do if I plan on competing with you.. Change this stock turbo frame setup and go big or go home.. :)

dtrackstar Apr 22, 2014 09:56 AM

Nice write-up Gilberto!!

b boy Apr 22, 2014 02:47 PM

Great review brotha, nice talking to you on saturday too. now i know what you are talking about when setting goals and knowing that it going to cost you twice if you don't set a goal before a build.

Jedi_Gill Apr 22, 2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by b boy (Post 11186236)
Great review brotha, nice talking to you on saturday too. now i know what you are talking about when setting goals and knowing that it going to cost you twice if you don't set a goal before a build.

Absolutely, and be realistic.. If there is anything I've learned about any mods.. is that there is always a negative drawback.. Sometimes it's just noise but most often it means lack of longevity. Make sure your wallet is fully aware of not just the costs in purchase and install but also repair bill afterwards. Don't write checks your passion can't cash. Take it nice and slow.

ZoSilverEvo Apr 22, 2014 06:17 PM

Great write up Gil! Can't wait to take a ride in that beast!

Jedi_Gill Apr 22, 2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ZoSilverEvo (Post 11186460)
Great write up Gil! Can't wait to take a ride in that beast!

Thank you Zoe, I will be calling you shortly to meet up..

boosted200ser Apr 23, 2014 08:24 PM

Beautiful car Gil. Devin is the only person I trust to touch my car. Hands down the best at exceeding expectations. Glad you had the same experience. Time to update that signature.

Side note: kids and racing take some expert balancing acts trust me.

Boostin Perform Apr 24, 2014 09:54 AM

Thank you for the kind words and excellent review Gil! we greatly appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your experience with us. :)