EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review-176/)
-   -   Mishimoto half-size radiator review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/700557-mishimoto-half-size-radiator-review.html)

badev0 Oct 1, 2014 07:32 AM

Mishimoto half-size radiator review

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a review on the Mishimoto half-size radiator. I was looking for a radiator that would bolt right in without any modification for this build including factory mounting and both hoses.

The radiator seems to be pretty good quality. It comes polished for the bling factor. It came with a cap, drain fitting, brackets, etc... everything you would need for install. Packaged very well for any shipping abuse, tossing off buildings, whatever those shipping guys usually do (just kidding).

Installation was very easy. It slides right in as if it was a factory radiator. It connects to the factory lower mount and also allows you to use a factory or aftermarket upper radiator mount bracket such as STM, blox, and so on. It also came with a bracket for the left side of the upper radiator to support it (see pictures below) that holds it in a nice postion and keeps it from wobbling. What I really like about this radiator is the fact it allows you to use your factory upper radiator hose unlike other half radiators on the market. All you do is flip it 180* degrees so its far away from your exhaust manifold. The less heat to that upper hose the better. It also uses the factory lower hose as well which is a given.

The radiator is cooling just as good as stock if not better. With sitting in traffic in 80*+ plus weather, it never even gets to the half way mark on the coolant temperature gauge on the cluster, just a tad below. This could be partially due to the fan that I am using (Spal 14"), but the radiator is doing its job - simple as that.

Overall a great product.

Cheers :beer:

Attachment 330140

Attachment 330141

Attachment 330142

Attachment 330143

scopy Nov 9, 2014 11:35 AM

glad to see a good review, i just ordered mine yesterday, also worth mentioning is the life time warranty. looks good in there man.

evo7_8u Nov 14, 2014 11:49 AM

Looks great I like how they put a bracket on the left hand side to stop it wobbling .

Htcg06 Dec 31, 2014 05:06 PM

Looks great

Htcg06 Dec 31, 2014 05:06 PM

Good to see positive feedback

scopy Jan 1, 2015 10:09 AM

have been running mine for a little bit now, its been doing fantastic, going to get a tune on the 16th of this month (January) and i'll see how it does there.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psffzjnqui.jpg

mitsubeastlee Jan 1, 2015 04:49 PM

I didnt even know mishimoto made this. can you take a picture of the lower rad hose

scopy Jan 1, 2015 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee (Post 11368560)
I didnt even know mishimoto made this. can you take a picture of the lower rad hose

i dont have a picture but its in the exact same place as the stock one, i didnt even have to adjust it, the top one i just flipped. hope this helps

evo7_8u Jan 1, 2015 08:51 PM

I like how you just flip the top hose 180 degree instead of getting a evo 6 top hose . looks great.

evokano Feb 26, 2015 09:38 AM

How's this work as a daily? Good for all year around?

scopy Feb 26, 2015 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by evokano (Post 11402022)
How's this work as a daily? Good for all year around?

I've been using mine for a bit now, its been great through the winter so far temps normal, and during the warmer weather its been great too, hard driving and daily driving ive had no problems and temps stay where they were stock

6spdlegend Mar 3, 2015 07:55 AM

Looking to go this route- does anyone know how much weight is saved going this route in comparison to stock?

scopy Mar 10, 2015 07:39 PM

stock rad i think is close to 9-10 pounds and the half rad is about 5 pounds

BluEVOIX Jun 7, 2017 10:40 PM

Damn it. Why didnt Mishimoto position the top outlet so that one can run a straight hose to the thermostat housing.

Bumping this to ask if any one knows if Mishimoto revised their half radiator to now have the outlet positioned at the other end ?

WelDun1 Aug 9, 2018 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX (Post 11746327)
Damn it. Why didnt Mishimoto position the top outlet so that one can run a straight hose to the thermostat housing.

Bumping this to ask if any one knows if Mishimoto revised their half radiator to now have the outlet positioned at the other end ?

i think the Civic SI works as good with better hose location