Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Aquamist HFS-1, GM BCS, and Tephra v5: together at last!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, I'll wait patiently since my ride is in the garage awating final touches, such as Mac Valve(waiting on fittings) and recirculating valv for my hks BOV(on order).

Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boricua_Evo
Cool, I'll wait patiently since my ride is in the garage awating final touches, such as Mac Valve(waiting on fittings) and recirculating valv for my hks BOV(on order).

I got my fittings for the mac valve from a hardware store dont forget to put some tephlon tape on it too
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

^ my Mac valve has 2 black wires... how would i know which is power?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wesside
I got my fittings for the mac valve from a hardware store dont forget to put some tephlon tape on it too
Sweet, I'll check Lowe's since all we got here in CLOV-***, New Mexico!

Originally Posted by Slick-IX
What's the part number for your Mac Valve? Did you call the company sold it to you?

Mine was 36A-AAA-JDBA-1GD and it comes with red and a black.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slick-IX
It doesn't matter which is which in this case.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
It doesn't matter which is which in this case.
thanks, I just wanted to make sure i got everything right
Old Jul 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Yes the DDS3v9 can output the 5v signal but it requires some modifying to the circuit board, it not like that from the factory. The harness is useful for anyone who doesn't want to mess with the DDS3v9's circuitry or for owners with the previous version controller. Also, I don't know if the v9's 5v output ever exceeds 5.00 volts but Tephra really preferred that the voltage stayed below 5.00 volts so my harnesses were designed to be in the 4.5-4.9v range. Just for safety sake.

Just got back to office after away for a few days.

I like to confirm that the every DDS3-xx, including V9 will work with the Jamie cable.

Although v9 has a user configurable 5V output, I still recommend using the Jamie cable for the following reasons:

- Always default to system ground (safe map) if cable is link is broken.
- Comes with the correct pin to mate with the EVO ECU socket/plug.
- In circuit volatge clamp at 4.7V.
- Just need one wire link on the DDS3-xx

The DDS3-v9 5V output is actually just over 5.1V (default), but can be clamped at anything between 2.7V to 12V. (Just change a zener diode). I can assure the 5.1V signal will not do any damage to the ECU ADC input (all ECU has input protection clamps).
Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Richard - thanks for the info.

If I were to just connect a wire from the DDS3 to the ECU and that wire broke, wouldn't that also default to safe map with no voltage?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Richard - thanks for the info.

If I were to just connect a wire from the DDS3 to the ECU and that wire broke, wouldn't that also default to safe map with no voltage?
Yes, the ECU would default to the safer maps if the voltage drops below your adjustable switching point voltage in the v5 patch(I believe its 3.01 volts by default).
Tephra intentionally set it up that way so in the event of a failure the ECU would always resort back to the safer tune
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

I know Richard suggests to use your harness but I'm trying to figure out if it really offers any advantage for me.

I think its great that you offer the harness as it helps countless number of people on this board no doubt, but I already bought my ECU pins from you and if I don't make the harness myself I will feel like a waste, lol.

I think the real advantage of your harness is that it clamps the voltage to 4.7v. Although Richard says that there is no danger in giving the ECU 5.1v so I don't know what to do now.

Also the LED is helpful but I would probably just tuck it behind the ECU anyway.

What do you think, is the voltage clamp really needed?

Last edited by dudical26; Jul 8, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

What do you think, is the voltage clamp really needed?
I honestly don't know. If what Richard says is correct, the slight increase over 5.0 volts isn't an issue. However, Tephra didn't want to put his name on an layout that exceed 5.00 volts for the RISK that it may damage someone's ECU which he obviously would never wanted. Thats why i designed mine with a 4.7v clamp to appease his request. My harness isn't for everyone of course.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

I have everthing but that 4.7 Diode! I was jut at Radio Shack and all they had was everything else and 2 5.1v Diodes, I just decided to wait and order it somehwere else, I would hate to fry my ECU and have to wait for a new one...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boricua_Evo
I have everthing but that 4.7 Diode! I was jut at Radio Shack and all they had was everything else and 2 5.1v Diodes, I just decided to wait and order it somehwere else, I would hate to fry my ECU and have to wait for a new one...
Thats the best part of me ordering parts in bulk to make these for the community. I costs less to get a harness from me than it is to buy each piece yourself...and I do all of the work for you And I bench test each harness before I ship them to ensure they will perform as intended right out of the box

I added the DIY section because some guys just get a kick out of doing things themselves (which I TOTALLY can relate to,lol) or they have a slightly different setup and need to modify them design. Unfortunately, it costs more but to some its worth the learning experience.

Oh yeah, I will be offering a harness that uses the Zeitronix Alarm output to switch maps as well as a harness that incorporates the DDS3 and the Zeitronix alarms for even more protection

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Jul 8, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Thats the best part of me ordering parts in bulk to make these for the community. I costs less to get a harness from me than it is to buy each piece yourself...and I do all of the work for you And I bench test each harness before I ship them to ensure they will perform as intended right out of the box

I added the DIY section because some guys just get a kick out of doing things themselves (which I TOTALLY can relate to,lol) or they have a slightly different setup and need to modify them design. Unfortunately, it costs more but to some its worth the learning experience.

Oh yeah, I will be offering a harness that uses the Zeitronix Alarm output to switch maps as well as a harness that incorporates the DDS3 and the Zeitronix alarms for even more protection

I totally agree with you! I've read your site like crazy! I'm a type of person that learns fast but also likes to get my hands dirty, that is why I chose to buy little parts here and there to assemble myself but to use your idea!

I tell you what, if I can't find the ECU Crimp Pin and the 4.7 Diode! I'm going to be emailing you homie!

I live in Clovis, New Mexico, not by choice and all I have to say is nothing here!!! We do not even have a Best Buy!!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Jack - I just bought one of your harnesses for Aquamist Evo IX's. I decided that having the voltage clamp is really a good idea and not using one is just me being lazy, lol.

Thanks for offering those harnesses, they are really helpfull.

Quick Reply: Aquamist HFS-1, GM BCS, and Tephra v5: together at last!