Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

reliable easy to tune ethanol injection is best way to go

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
What about some sort of voltage transition be better? Similar to how the stock fuel transition is

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Jul 19, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
two years now. tune still untouched. very reliable setup. love it.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jan 22, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the system still two injectors or you went dual fuel rail?
Do you think it could be interfaced with the stock ECU for two maps?

Thanks for sharing, it's a nice idea with proven components.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

yes its still two injectors. its working too good to mess with. it is interfaced with stock ECU. ECMLINK. but I dont use two maps. it only needs one map IMHO. you could make it dual map but I cant think of a reason why one would want to.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, is there any risk of the fuel not getting evenly distributed since it's "hitting" the opposite end of the pipe as it's traveling towards the manifold? Obviously it's not as high a pressure as a meth pump.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Just found this dual injector fuel rail assembly. They use the EV1 injector. http://www.rossmachineracing.com/dualinjassm.html

Last edited by 8UpUrV8; Feb 6, 2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Ross Machine Racing updated me on injector specifics
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
yes its still two injectors. its working too good to mess with. it is interfaced with stock ECU. ECMLINK. but I dont use two maps. it only needs one map IMHO. you could make it dual map but I cant think of a reason why one would want to.
Good to hear that is doing good.
The question for the dual maps is to revert to "only gas" in case of forgetting to fill the ethanol tank.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8UpUrV8
Excuse my ignorance, is there any risk of the fuel not getting evenly distributed since it's "hitting" the opposite end of the pipe as it's traveling towards the manifold? Obviously it's not as high a pressure as a meth pump.
air filled with fuel doesnt act much differently than air itself. neither likes "hitting" the end as you say. this is why its next to impossible to get air equally to all four runners. no matter what the intake manifold design some runners will get more air than others. i think the jenvy manifold prolly does the best job of reducing this problem.

when injecting alky or meth on the I/C pipe, it simple reverses which cylinders go rich and which go lean.

Good to hear that is doing good.
The question for the dual maps is to revert to "only gas" in case of forgetting to fill the ethanol tank.
I run a level sender in tank connected to "brake" light on dash. its mounted toward the front of tank. alky pickup toward rear. so when tank gets low the light flashes during accell as gas sloshes backwards toward pick-up but away from sender. works very well. no real risk of "forgettting"
Old Dec 25, 2015, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

three years untouched. on the original tune as well. this system has turned out to be everything I hoped/planned for..
Old Dec 25, 2015, 08:29 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
would you mind if i PM you to discuss this setup? i'm very interested for road course use. i'm not a fan of e85.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

car doesnt get driven much. so there are worries everytime I drive car. but they are unfounded each time i drive the car. still havent touched the tune. car still drives like an animal. there is a bit of fuel leaking on top of IC pipes. the seals need to be replaced. a boss should have be welded to the pipe to contain seal. so it only relies on fuel pressure to seal against pipe. when seal gets hard it doesnt seal well.

I am bumping this as there were soo many nay sayers. This has turned out to be one of the nicest mods I have ever done to a 4g63.

I am building a new car right now. I have been thinking hard on how to tweek what I have here. My first thoughts would be to have four injectors like I originally planned. but there are a few things about four injectors I dont like. one is if one alky injector fails you can easily kill the engine as one cylinder goes lean. with two injectors on the intercoler pipe, if ones injector fails all four cylinders would go lean. far less likely to hurt engine. I like that. the second problem is with injectors on IC pipe you can go bigger and stage them. with four injectors there can only be one turn on point. last a local here built a 5 injector setup using one small injector before turbo. i liked the idea. the results were stunning. on a 20g 2.0 car was making 431 on wastegate boost 15psi. 521hp at 22psi. these are BIG numbers for a 20g on low boost. I attribute that 5th injector before turbo doing work. allows turbo itself to move more air.

so my new system has been designed with following tweeks:
3 injectors up from two. two on IC pipe, one pre turbo.
base fuel pressure on both fuel rails 4bar. up from factory 3bar. a tad better atomization with increased flow per injector. all three injectors will be wired as before. with exception the third injector will have its ground run through a second hobbs switch. beauty of small injector pre turbo is it will not be injecting into pressurized tube. so it sees 6 bar fuel pressure. for excellent atomization. this design allows more alky fuel to be injected. 1st stage small pre turbo injector and one big injector turns on. turbo should spool faster as the air will be more dense right from turbo. last injector turns on one or two fuel cells later. staging will allow injectors to be larger over all. but transition will be even smoother.

While searching ebay for injectors to use and such I came across another idea I like. a mechanically injected secondary system using high pressure GDI parts. factory high pressure has been common OEM for some time now. there are small cam driven pumps for less than 100 and injectors plentiful and cheap. injecting at 1500 psi sounds really good to me. the only trick would be to drive the pump only under boost. I have simple solution for that. So after I get the summit setup and running good I may look further into a mechanical system setup for the evo 1.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jan 30, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 06:36 AM

Nice news!

following your results
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
While all options are on the table... What about a pull through or blow through CARB !? You would still need an ethanol pump but you already have that. Since the ethanol doesn't need to be exact maybe that would be the most reliable. I am nervous about mechanical relays or hobbs switches. If you can do those actions with solid state electronics that would be my suggestion. Lastly you stated some crazy high numbers for power at low boost. I am unsure how a 2.0 engine pressurized with 15psi could make such high numbers. I am not doubting that a 20g can make those numbers (cause I think it can), but I could post calculations that show a 2.0 pump (aka: engine) cannot flow enough air to make 431 at a low 15psi. The air flow rate just isn't there. Before you prove me wrong, perhaps this is because I am going by the 'ol school rough estimate that 40lbs of air is worth ~400hp. Maybe that doesn't apply to exotic fuels like E85... Not sure..

~Jaraxle
Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
car doesnt get driven much. so there are worries everytime I drive car. but they are unfounded each time i drive the car. still havent touched the tune. car still drives like an animal. there is a bit of fuel leaking on top of IC pipes. the seals need to be replaced. a boss should have be welded to the pipe to contain seal. so it only relies on fuel pressure to seal against pipe. when seal gets hard it doesnt seal well.

I am bumping this as there were soo many nay sayers. This has turned out to be one of the nicest mods I have ever done to a 4g63.

I am building a new car right now. I have been thinking hard on how to tweek what I have here. My first thoughts would be to have four injectors like I originally planned. but there are a few things about four injectors I dont like. one is if one alky injector fails you can easily kill the engine as one cylinder goes lean. with two injectors on the intercoler pipe, if ones injector fails all four cylinders would go lean. far less likely to hurt engine. I like that. the second problem is with injectors on IC pipe you can go bigger and stage them. with four injectors there can only be one turn on point. last a local here built a 5 injector setup using one small injector before turbo. i liked the idea. the results were stunning. on a 20g 2.0 car was making 431 on wastegate boost 15psi. 521hp at 22psi. these are BIG numbers for a 20g on low boost. I attribute that 5th injector before turbo doing work. allows turbo itself to move more air.

so my new system has been designed with following tweeks:
3 injectors up from two. two on IC pipe, one pre turbo.
base fuel pressure on both fuel rails 4bar. up from factory 3bar. a tad better atomization with increased flow per injector. all three injectors will be wired as before. with exception the third injector will have its ground run through a second hobbs switch. beauty of small injector pre turbo is it will not be injecting into pressurized tube. so it sees 6 bar fuel pressure. for excellent atomization. this design allows more alky fuel to be injected. 1st stage small pre turbo injector and one big injector turns on. turbo should spool faster as the air will be more dense right from turbo. last injector turns on one or two fuel cells later. staging will allow injectors to be larger over all. but transition will be even smoother.

While searching ebay for injectors to use and such I came across another idea I like. a mechanically injected secondary system using high pressure GDI parts. factory high pressure has been common OEM for some time now. there are small cam driven pumps for less than 100 and injectors plentiful and cheap. injecting at 1500 psi sounds really good to me. the only trick would be to drive the pump only under boost. I have simple solution for that. So after I get the summit setup and running good I may look further into a mechanical system setup for the evo 1.

Always enjoy your insight and knowledge on here and your posts are never disappointing. I'm def looking forward to you posting more on the possibility of the GDI setup and/or 3 injector setup with as many pics as you feel like sharing. Always love to see well thought out and planned setups in action. Keep up the good work and progressive thinking and FACTUAL posting, as you always do.

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2017, 08:40 AM

Do you have the original photos? Those in this thread have expired. Use postimage.org to upload them. They never expire.