Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Tephra+HFS-3 Failsafe help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tephra+HFS-3 Failsafe help

Hey guys need some help convincing my tuner here. I'm wanting to go with an Aquamist HFS-3 kit to go with the FP Black that will be going on soon. Planning either 50/50 or just denatured alky.
Car currently has a Grimmspeed 3 port and is using ecu based boost control. Tuner said I'm currently using Tephra V5x or Vx5. I'm certain there has to be a way for the Aquamist HFS-3 with the DDSv10 gauge(failsafe) to switch maps as the fail safe. He's not sure as they typically use AEM meth kits. I'd much prefer Aquamist.

Is there a way to do it with some patch or alt-switch harness or something? If so, what exactly is it and how fast can it switch? Fast enough to save the motor?

I can link him to this thread after I have some answers in here.

FWIW I won't be running a ton of alky or meth, just a small jet, since E85 isn't easy to get here in Seattle.

I've seen some pin-outs of the HFS-3 sending a signal to a BCS. I know that's the stock boost control solenoid, but could it send it directly to the Grimmspeed 3 port?

FWIW when my current FP green comes off and the Black goes on, it will be external wastegate(Tial 38mm), as it's already set-up for that. Not sure if that matters as far as ECU based boost control goes.

Thanks,
Fred
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Fred,

What failsafe does your tuner prefer. Aquamist HFS-3 has several failsafe output. Drop boost or Tephra or both.

Once he has confirm, just post it here. I will post appropriate diagrams or ypu can get those diagrams in the water forum.

There is one important failsafe functions: If for any reason you loose power into the system. the failsafe from the controller will still work. I don't think there are other system that can perform this task.

You are correct, the HFS3 can control the Grimmspeed 3-port valve directly.

Who is your tuner?

Last edited by Richard L; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Richard- I'm not sure actually, as they typically use AEM systems and build their own failsafe.

Can I see diagrams for both? I will direct him to this thread.

I also posted here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...l#post10685048 and got some answers

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

In this case, I think you should buy the AEM system since they cannot work with aquamist. You don't want to upset your tuner.

It is a pity because a constant pressure/pwm valve system performs much better than the any pump-speed system.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Richard- I'm set on Aquamist, lol. I just need the diagrams to show them. They are a big shop and are open to(HFS-3). They were worried about how quickly it can change maps to save the motor. You should be talking us into Aquamist, not out of it lol.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Boost drop ( 0% duty cycle to 3 port) is what I would prefer. Its not that I have a preference but we havent really done meth kits much in the last 4 years and I havent seen the integration of the Aquamist to the stock computer.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for chiming in Aaron. Didn't want to mention your name until you posted.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Boost drop ( 0% duty cycle to 3 port) is what I would prefer. Its not that I have a preference but we havent really done meth kits much in the last 4 years and I havent seen the integration of the Aquamist to the stock computer.
When my failsafe hits it cuts to waste gate pressure.

If you are using dual maps and ecu boost control it will cut you to the boost level programmed on the new map or I am sure you could wire it to cut to waste gate instead.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

How quickly will it change maps? Fast enough to save it?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilTechnology
Richard- I'm set on Aquamist, lol. I just need the diagrams to show them. They are a big shop and are open to(HFS-3). They were worried about how quickly it can change maps to save the motor. You should be talking us into Aquamist, not out of it lol.
I think that Richard thought that you are using an AEM EMS. Which the Aquamist may not be compatible?

You are on the stock ECU though correct? With the stock ecu Aquamist works like a charm. I will look for the wire diagrams on here and repost them if Richard does not beat me to it.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Fred,

I love to have you using the aquamist but if your tuner is comfortable tuning it due to the failsafe, it is not worth fighting with them.

Please remind me you model. I have wiring drawings for evo8, 9 and X. I will post as soon as you tell me.

I question, is your wastegate still controlled by grimmspeed 3-port valve

Last edited by Richard L; Mar 1, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Question for your tuner: Which failsafe do they like best?

1. Cut boost
2. Tephra map switch
3. Reading actual flow......... 0-5V
4. Reading flow sensor raw pulses (frequency increase = flow increase)

On the HFS3-v2 on, you can do any one or all four. There are no system out there have these amount of failsafe options.

BTW... we are just shipping HFS3-v3.

Last edited by Richard L; Mar 1, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvilTechnology
The flow sensor updates every 0.3mS. It is too fast to be used on map switch. So we put a user adjustable delay of 0.2-0.6 seconds to avoid map switch. I can remove them for you.

If you worry about 0.2s is to slow. put the flow sensor 2-3 feet away from the actual jet. So every air pocket in the line will trigger the failsafe before the bubble reaches the jet.

If power is cut from the system, the respond time is ~3mS.

I can give them a ring and talk them thorough once they have read the wiring diagrams.

Last edited by Richard L; Mar 1, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mt057
I think that Richard thought that you are using an AEM EMS. Which the Aquamist may not be compatible?

You are on the stock ECU though correct? With the stock ecu Aquamist works like a charm. I will look for the wire diagrams on here and repost them if Richard does not beat me to it.
Fred is an old customer. I don't want him to buy another aquamist system if the shop is not confident with it.

Problem is AEM is making claims their failsafe is safer than everyone else. I have not seen any real world data to support it. I can find and post a few links that said the opposite. Read the post here.

A failsafe system is only good if they are built reliably.

Last edited by Richard L; Mar 1, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard L
Question for your tuner: Which failsafe do they like best?

1. Cut boost
2. Tephra map switch
3. Reading actual flow......... 0-5V
4. Reading flow sensor raw pulses (frequency increase = flow increase)

On the HFS3-v2 on, you can do any one or all four. There are no system out there have these amount of failsafe options.

BTW... we are just shipping HFS3-v3.
Richard,

I'll be tuning the car.

Its not a matter of needing to be convinced of anything, we do a failsafe as well that performs the same function, its just I didnt know that your kit had the same feature built in or that it could be exported to the stock ECU.

As I said before we havent installed a meth kit in quite awhile between the relative popularity of E85 or large turbos and straight pumpgas. Fred, contacted me and wanted this done but I didnt know anything about it.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Tephra+HFS-3 Failsafe help