Notices
Welding & Fabrication Talk about anything related to welding & fabrication.

Looking forward to my HTP Invertig 221

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to my HTP Invertig 221

I recently decided it was time to upgrade to a better Tig machine. I have been using my Miller Diversion 180 for about a year and a half and it definitely proved to be a great machine, however it did lack the flexibility of some of the better machines on the market. I have been doing some research and narrowed my search down to the dynasty 200dx or the invertig 221. I had my heart set on the dynasty but couldn't get over how much more it is compared to the invertig. After talking about it with some of my friends (which include fellow hobbyist's like myself all the way to iron workers) the conclusion was "go with blue" and "why would you even compare anything to a Miller". So evidently this pretty much got me nowhere . Truth of the matter is Miller has set the benchmark and they set it pretty high. Anytime a new product is released, such as the invertig 221, it will always be MAINLY compared to a Miller. Once I got passed the whole "It's a Miller" mentality I really looked at each unit side by side and tried to see the differences between the units. Both machines have pro's and con's but BOTH machines appear to be great. What really sealed the deal for me was actually seeing the final product of work created by both machines. Collin at Toxicfab creates some of the nicest work that I have ever seen and he recently switched to an HTP unit. He talks about the experience on his website. Whether you like his products or not is a different story, but his welding ability is fantastic. Kinda wish the HTP came with a "toxicfab cape" so I can weld like Collin lol. AMS is another company that uses HTP products. I think they have 5 or 6 invertig 201's and 1 221. We all know what AMS has done as far as performance so the products speak for themselves. In a nutshell, the only thing I feel that Miller has over the HTP is time. I learned how to Tig weld on machines that were 40 years old and stilll work great . That was the part that was a little hard to overcome. That definitely without a doubt plays a large role when thinking about purchasing a machine. The HTP does not have the same history as Miller does but for the amount of time that they have been out I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about them.
Over the next few months I will try to come back and bump this thread with any type of progress I have made with the machine. At this time I am still waiting for it to come in. I just want to finish off by saying both manufacturers appear to make quality units and produce amazing work but sometimes a change is good. I loved my diversion 180 and thought Miller did a fantastic job with it but HTP appears to be making quality products too. I dropped the whole "it's a Miller" mentality and hope if people read this they might see that HTP makes a great product as well. If you want pictures of work just look up toxicfab.com and see what the machine is capable of.
I bought my machine from usaweld.com (http://www.usaweld.com/TIG-Welders-s/26.htm) and spoke with Diana. Great customer service by the way. Also, some people say they have had problems with Miller CS as per the great world wide web. I personally have called Miller a few times and had great customer service. stay tuned!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will take my 221 over a miller any day. 10% less power, less duty cycle, and more money. No thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol. Bringing thread from dead. How you like you HTPs ??? Im about to pull a trigger on one in the next few days. Was considering Diversion 180, but decided to go with HTP.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love it. I went from the diversion 180 to the invertig and it is leaps and bounds better. Definitely worth it.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
As long as it has a good warranty, why not !
Their are plenty of great company's out there, just gotta give em a chance