help identify fuel rail / cap material (not an evo) for welding/brazing options - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Go Back  EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community > Miscellaneous > Welding & Fabrication
Reload this Page >

help identify fuel rail / cap material (not an evo) for welding/brazing options

Notices
Welding & Fabrication Talk about anything related to welding & fabrication.

Old Oct 15, 2018, 03:37 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I have a Mazda pickup truck with a Ford 4.0L engine. I am installing a fuel pressure gauge and need to find a place to attach the electrical sending unit. It has a fuel rail setup with a split where each rail feeds 3 cylinders.

The end of the rail has a little cap. These held the schrader valve for testing fuel pressure. I was hoping I could remove the schrader valve and replace it with the sending unit- but I removed a bunch of these from Ford 4.0L's in a junk yard and the setups are way different. I also learned that some of these did not have schrader valves because it looks like Ford removed them (probably for cost saving).

I think this is made from some sort of plated brass or bronze. I cut one in half and it cut very very easy. It is not magnetic either. (I originally thought it was stainless steel)

I want to use my tig welder to braze something onto the end (like a bung) so I can install the pressure sender unit. It is 1/8 NTP threads. I am very familiar with TIG welding aluminum, steel and stainless steel but I have never done any brazing with my TIG welder. I did watch a crap ton of videos on it and it seems easy- however I am not too sure still.

Does anyone have any idea what this material is? It is more yellow inside when you cut it. My guess is the outside is plated some how.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

It's probably aluminum.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 02:05 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
It's probably aluminum.
I cut one, and it is brassy yellow looking inside. I am nearly positive it is brass. I got myself some silicon-bronze brazing rod and I'm going to try and tig-braze them together.
I bet everyone is asking "why not ask on a Ford forum". Well the problem is the Ford guys are idiots- they aren't car people. Evo people are much more car savy. The how-to's and technical posts on the Ford sites are like "how to change your oil" and what-not.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. The fuel rails on my 2004 with the SOHC 4.0 were aluminum.

And yeah, most car forums outside of cars like the Evo and STI are pretty lacking in real tech info.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 04:47 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Interesting. The fuel rails on my 2004 with the SOHC 4.0 were aluminum.

And yeah, most car forums outside of cars like the Evo and STI are pretty lacking in real tech info.
This is a 2006 SOHC 4.0, but it's the little cap I'm modifying, not the rails themselves. I don't plan on taking the manifold of to get at the rail. I can reach the cap on the back just moving some of the hoses and spark plug wires out of the way.

Was your truck a Ranger (B4000)? or was it an Explorer. The explorers had a different fuel strategy (it was electronic returnless, not mechanical returnless) but it was basically the same engine.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

It's a 2004 ranger. It was a "returnless" System. But the rangers were done cheap, instead of a fuel pump module that PWM'ed the pump, the fuel sender in the tank had an FPR in it. It ran 65psi of fuel pressure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.