Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

On a Road Trip to Cali!! Need some legal advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a Road Trip to Cali!! Need some legal advice

me and couple friends planning on driving over to cali in my evo from chicago..ya i know..long drive...my car is modified and i dont want any trouble when i get to cali.. i never had any trouble over here but my friend told me i need to check with cali board and anything thats not street legal needs to be taken off before entering state..not sure if thats true or not... i do have a cat but its an aftermarket high flow.. and o2 dump which obviously isn't street legal..... i dont want to modified my car to stock just to go to cali so can someone help me out? im sure there are tons of cars in cali thats way more modified than mine...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

We try at all costs to modify our cars with "stealth" offerings. If you look stock under the hood for the most part, you shoudl be ok. If you have an intake and your hood gets popped, even with a CARB sticker, you will get a ref ticket. It all depends on what part of Cali ur going to, how you drive, how often you hit WOT to hear that open dump, how many stickers you have on your car, how loud your exhaust is, etc.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

my car has no sticker on it...engine bay does not look stock..i barely go WOT..i try to keep low.. they will give u a ticket even if your out of state? my exhaust is only loud on WOT... how much is a ref ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are quiet and look stock from the outside, and do not make an *** of yourself, you should be fine.

I am not sure how it works with smog, whether it matters if you are legal where you are from.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

You will be fine, just don't drive like a jackass and fly off the line at each stop light. I just went to Anahiem in April from Utah for a week. Drove in and around Fontana, Riverside, and Rialto. You will notice your exhaust will get a little bit louder as you descend to sea level, which was really annoying to me. Since hear in Utah at 5,400ft its not loud at all.

I have an O2 dump as well, never dumped it in the city, just maybe a few times on the freeway. Don't go much over the speed limit on the interstate, the CHP is there waiting for you, just like in any other place like Chicago, been there also.

Just drive normal and you'll be perfectly fine.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Are you staying in California with the car? With an out of state registration, you should be fine.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah if you are not a CA resident, they can't fuxors you with fix it tickets.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

ya just going over there for few days... mine look fairly stock from outside other than the jdm rear and lip and rims...nothing crazy... im chicago resident but i been working in indiana so my car is registered in indiana ..no emission testing there but my licence is chicago..

im have the RSR exmag exhaust which is one of the quieter exhaust but did get louder when i had the o2 dump....but at normal driving..not that much louder than stock... thanks for the info guys

Last edited by J8dailo; Jun 16, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:49 PM

You should be fine. Like everyone said, just drive safely. The cops can't give you a fix it ticket if you're just visiting. Hell, if anything just tell them you're passing through.