EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   West Region (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/west-region-44/)
-   -   The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED] (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/west-region/638500-california-smog-law-s-thread-merged.html)

evoiao Feb 28, 2011 05:23 PM

1 yr till cali smog check

Hi I was wondering if I can pass a california smog check with the following mods?
injen hard pipes(upper & lower) has C.A.R.B # on them
hsk cat back w/ silencer(blacked out)
3" down pipe
Megan o2
Vishnu re-flash
??????
I still want to add 1000 pte injectors and gsc s2 cams?
then later on an FP hta Green or FP Red???

will adding the cams and injectors cause me to fail a smog test?:confused:

evoiao Feb 28, 2011 05:44 PM

bump

BLK_EvIL Feb 28, 2011 06:27 PM

if you have a good cat and solid tune you should pass only problem might be the s2's

Buch Feb 28, 2011 07:37 PM

Is it easier to pass on E85?

03evo8gsr Feb 28, 2011 07:50 PM

put sock cat on, and will pass.

grahamab Feb 28, 2011 07:52 PM

if the smog tech has any idea what he's doing, you won't pass the visual with those mods. even though the intercooler setup has a CARB number, it's probably inviting him to search around more thoroughly than on a stock appearing car (hell, the stock evo spoiler might do that). the O2 housing is hard to see if you still have the stock heat shields in place, but the downpipe might be an easy giveaway if it's shiny.

boostless Feb 28, 2011 07:55 PM

You'll be fine...put the stock cat on, flash a stock map on it and make sure the car is hot when you go. No rollers FTW!

evoiao Feb 28, 2011 08:03 PM

thanks everyone

What a great group on this forum- never have I been let down!:D
What about future mods....stock frame turbo upgrade FP GRN or FP Red?
And 1000 PTE injectors?:confused:

evoiao Feb 28, 2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by grahamab (Post 9116891)
if the smog tech has any idea what he's doing, you won't pass the visual with those mods. even though the intercooler setup has a CARB number, it's probably inviting him to search around more thoroughly than on a stock appearing car (hell, the stock evo spoiler might do that). the O2 housing is hard to see if you still have the stock heat shields in place, but the downpipe might be an easy giveaway if it's shiny.

I do have the stock heatshield on and I painted the dwn pipe blk as well.
so why have a C.A.R.B sticker if you cant have it???

evoiao Feb 28, 2011 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by boostless (Post 9116900)
You'll be fine...put the stock cat on, flash a stock map on it and make sure the car is hot when you go. No rollers FTW!

what do you mean "no rollers FTW(for the win???) guess i need to brush up on my email protocol

boostless Feb 28, 2011 08:19 PM

Smog stations do not have 4 wheel dynometers (rollers is a hip way of saying it); therefore, they are unable to put load on our cars when smog testing. <--- That's good. They take readings at idle and half the rev limit. "FTW" = For the win... is one of the few "acronyms" that I know. Sounds corny if you say it out loud

evoiao Feb 28, 2011 08:26 PM

thanks for filling me in!:lol:
what do you think about the cams and injectors...I haven't bought or installed them yet! But I am about 13 months away from this smog test!

BLK_EvIL Feb 28, 2011 08:57 PM

turbo wont change a thing injectors should be fine as long as ther dialed in right cams might take some tweeking to get right maby adjustable gears and fidling with the timing

FedEvo8 Feb 28, 2011 09:00 PM

Also make sure you are not throwing any CELs...PO300 is a common one on the 03's.

03evo8gsr Feb 28, 2011 09:31 PM

i changed out my test pipe for my stock cat and i passed. mods fp red,1250cc fic,272 cams,
o2 housing,3"dp,3"cat back, aem intake. and i live in cali.