EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   West Region (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/west-region-44/)
-   -   Moving Out to Hawai'i (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/west-region/663776-moving-out-hawaii.html)

ExtrEvo Jul 11, 2013 05:53 PM

Moving Out to Hawai'i

So I got accepted to the University of Hawai'i at Manoa and I have sssssoooooo many questions about how the lifestyle is there and many other random things.

So I guess I'll start out with the major ones since this is an Evolution forum:

What is the actual DMV site for the state? I've searched for it and not sure which one is actually the official one

What are some shipping companies to transport my precious cargo [since air travel would be way out of my price range]?

What smog laws are effect? Leaving this great state of California, I'm pretty certain they are going to be way more relaxed than here

That is all I can think of at the moment. As others pop into my head, I will try to ask. So any help is greatly appreciated! I am really EXCITED about this move that I can't even describe it in words. That day can't be soon enough

golgo13 Jul 11, 2013 07:07 PM

Cool, just stay away from Robnval

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/we...-take-3-a.html

lostsoulsevo Jul 11, 2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 10881570)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

lostsoulsevo Jul 11, 2013 08:40 PM

no smog laws in Hawaii, but if your exhaust is loud be prepared to get tickets when you go down to Waikiki. UofH manoa is downtown about 5mins away from Waikiki. You'll need to get safety inspections done yearly on your vehicle as well. if you have an aftermarket suspension you'll need recon or ask rob for help ;). as for shipping check out matson or young brothers. I think shipping from cali is $1500

robnval Jul 11, 2013 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 10881570)

:lol: love the mods here ;)

sadly, my Evo has been parted and returned to stock.. However, I'm still around and am more than happy to help out if you need anything!

Rob

golgo13 Jul 11, 2013 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by robnval (Post 10881707)
I'm still around and am more than happy to help out if you need anything!

Rob

OP you're pretty much ****ed.

Just kidding, Rob's not that bad... really...

Z Madness Jul 11, 2013 11:12 PM

Welcome. Go to honolulu.gov. You'll be on Oahu which is coverered by the City and County of Honolulu, You should be able to find the motor vehicle section. You might also want to check out Pasha as they have a specific ship for transporting cars in a controlled environment. Also, if your car passed Cali inspection, you should be fine in Hawaii.

Are you planning to dorm? Parking might be a little difficult. Funny, I am taking my daughter to college next month to Chapman University. You shipping an EVO out here? Hope you are tuned for crappy gas. Lol.

lostsoulsevo Jul 12, 2013 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by robnval (Post 10881707)
:lol: love the mods here ;)

sadly, my Evo has been parted and returned to stock.. However, I'm still around and am more than happy to help out if you need anything!

Rob

why is it back to stock?

robnval Jul 12, 2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 10881801)
OP you're pretty much ****ed.

Just kidding, Rob's not that bad... really...

Lol hater!

The car is going away next month when I come back from South Carolina

CN9Adaiski Jul 14, 2013 06:46 PM

Hey welcome!!!
Nice to meet you since I also attend the University of Hawaii at Manoa!
And there will be more people who drive Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions to school xD
As far as I know, there used to be three of us, but now there is only two.
Me and this other guy with a BBY Lancer Evolution VIII (Going off of the front bumper and color)
Assuming that you drive a Lancer Evolution btw....
There used to be a AS Lancer Evolution IX MR around, but I havent seen that car for more than a year now......

Hey here are some tips that I hope help you out!!

***Parking at UHM***
You will learn that UHM as a whole is..... Ill tell you later
General options :
-Park on Dole Street or neighborhood
Pros :
--Close to the dorms and campus
--No parking time limit
Cons :
--People cant park so they WILL hit your car occasionally (When they try and parallel park) (Empahsis on try :p)
--Your car will be scratched by the environment and the people in it
--Trees drop lots of leaves and branches and birds drop bombs a lot
--People in the neighborhood hate it when students park in front of their house so they dont care what happens to it
--Hard to get a spot since its generally where people park

-UHM Parking structure
Pros :
--Less prone to having your car hit by other cars
--Covered parking
--Security patrols around the area
Cons :
--Kinda close to the dorms and close to campus
--Cant park car overnight unless you have a parking pass or an overnight parking pass
--90% (Exaggerated for emphasis) of the stalls there are compact so watch out
--There is still a 10% chance of your car being scratched or hit in the structure (Chance increases when parked close to other cars cause they dont care either....)
--Parking pass reserved for upper classman and costs $150 a semester or you can pay $6 a day to park until 2300.

-Manoa Valley
Pros :
--Free parking with no time limit
--Shuttle near teacher dorms that you can catch to campus
--Somewhat quiet neighborhood
Cons:
--Trees and birds....
--Hard to get parking there (My friend gets there at 4AM to guarantee a parking spot there)

***Getting your car legal in HI***
We have no smog here so dont worry about emissions but cops can cite you for having a loud exhaust
Law states that your aftermaket exhaust cannot be louder than the stock exhaust.... (They dont have to prove that your exhaust is louder than stock to cite you....)
If you car is registered in the mainland and registration does not expire yet, you can get the Out of State Permit from the DMV that allows you to use your current license plate and registration until it expires.
You will have to register the car in HI after.
The downside is that cops can be attracted to those stickers, especially when your car is in town.
Even more so in Waikiki.
We have an annual Safety Check that just makes sure your car is in general, working order.
If your car is modded, you will need a Reconstruction permit, which is a pain to obtain and you must have this permit to obtain a Safety Check.
The fine is like $70-something each for the fine
Tint must be 35% max or its $260-something a window for the fine....
Tint must be legal to get Safety or Recon
Also for Recon, the cop can cite you for no Recon permit just by looking at your car and saying its modded.
Theres a lot more to say but I think I got a lot down

***Driving around in HI***
Our roads suck here.
Tons of potholes and uneven roadways.
Hopefully your car isnt too low or you will be scraping a lot
90% (Exaggerated for emphasis) of the drivers here dont use their turn signal.....
We have an accident every weekday and that backclogs the freeway for miles.....
Just one accident causes that
Theres more but you will discover that as you drive around

Sigh I cant think anymore so just PM me with other questions that you may have lol.
Nice to meet another student at UHM

If you have questions pertaining to your car :
For anything Lancer Evolution X and parts, I always ask Rob, who just told you he is happy to help lol
For anything Lancer Evolution VIII - Lancer Evolution IX related, there are people on here who I wont mention until they come out cause I dont want to mention them if they dont want to be.

Anyway welcome and see you in August!!
Or whenever you get here.

Jeez sorry for making this one super long..........
I really hate UHM's parking and Hawaii's Recon.....

ExtrEvo Aug 4, 2013 04:45 PM

^Very detailed indeed. Thanks for all the information you posted. I may need to have you as my campus tour guide lol

Originally Posted by Z Madness (Post 10881810)
Welcome. Go to honolulu.gov. You'll be on Oahu which is coverered by the City and County of Honolulu, You should be able to find the motor vehicle section. You might also want to check out Pasha as they have a specific ship for transporting cars in a controlled environment. Also, if your car passed Cali inspection, you should be fine in Hawaii.

Are you planning to dorm? Parking might be a little difficult. Funny, I am taking my daughter to college next month to Chapman University. You shipping an EVO out here? Hope you are tuned for crappy gas. Lol.

Great website link. Saw all the information that I needed to see. Thanks

Yes, I will be at Hale Kahawai. Mapped it and seems it's going to be the farthest east dorm in the campus. Looks like I'm going to get great exercise walking back and forth lol

What do you mean by crappy gas? hope it's 93 since that's what the car is designed for, not the 91 here. I was doing a little research and it doesn't look like there is any E-85 out there, huh?!

ExtrEvo Aug 4, 2013 04:48 PM

As far as food, what seems to be the most common type of restaurants that people eat out?

CN9Adaiski Aug 5, 2013 04:08 AM

Zippy's lol

patronx Aug 6, 2013 08:27 PM

{thumbup}{thumbup}{thumbup}

silver85igenz Aug 9, 2013 12:14 AM

Welcome

Welcome! I just moved back out here too from MD... AS Evo 8 -