Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Boost "Control" Flashes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost "Control" Flashes

Lately, there has been some discussion in regards to a number of ECU tuners claiming to offer a flash and/or piggyback systems that “control” boost. Some are using the OEM vacuum lines in conjunction with the boost control solenoid, others bypass the solenoid completely and use a rudimentary bleeder, and some simply recommend the use of an external boost control device (such as a manual or electronic boost controller). Control implies that there is an ability to regulate the pattern of behavior of the device in question. Therefore, you must be able to increase and decrease the boost at any point in order to claim control. The following illustrates why each of the above scenarios can be misleading.

OEM lines, Boost Control Solenoid intact:
Mitsubishi has engineered these lines to work in conjunction with the factory software-induced taper and they do that job quite well. However, it’s not what most people desire from a performance standpoint. It is possible to alter the software to elevate the boost to a certain extent, but there is a mechanical limitation to the OEM vacuum lines. Even when you maximize the values in the software, it is impossible to maintain peak boost all the way to redline, let alone the rev limit. You can prove this to yourself by a simple test. (WARNING: The following is not recommended and if performed, is done so at your own risk!) By disconnecting the OEM vacuum line at the BCS (that originates from the “T” connector) and allowing it to vent freely, this will simulate the solenoid running at its absolute maximum (100% duty cycle in the software). While peak boost may spike higher, it will not maintain. By the time you reach redline you will only be seeing 17-18 PSI.

OEM lines, BCS bypassed:
This is probably the most blatant form of false advertising that we have encountered. How is it possible to control the boost with the software when there are no vacuum lines being routed to the Boost Control Solenoid? This is virtually the same as running the vacuum line to atmosphere as mentioned in the test above. The only difference is that there is a little bleeder hole venting to atmosphere instead of a big hole at the end of a tube. This so-called emulator is an embarrassment to the automotive performance industry and does not demonstrate any sort
of boost control.

External controllers:
Some engine tuners don’t even bother to attempt to control the boost with the software. They dismiss this function as being unreliable. We look at it as taking the easy way out. Every manual boost controller we’ve tested still tapers—and changes the target boost depending on the weather condition. While most electronic boost controllers can do agood job at controlling boost, why would you spend an exorbitant amount of money and time setting up an additional electronic boost controller when your EVO is already equipped with one from the factory? (FYI, if you are running an add-on “piggyback” computer or controller, you cannot use the factory boost control because the ECU has no idea of the actual boost level at any given time. Since the piggyback is altering the Volume Air Flow signal being sent to the ECU, the ECU cannot determine how much air is actually entering the system and therefore cannot control boost among other things.)

WORKS lines, BCS intact:
Finally, we will discuss the original and only true form of software-controlled boost available in the U.S. via the factory ECU. The engineers at WORKS have acknowledged, pinpointed and overcome the limitations of the stock vacuum lines. This is why we provide the WORKS boost hose assembly with our Brain Flash P2, P2e, and P2R. This assembly used in conjunction with our software gives WORKS full control of the boost behavior through the ECU—no piggybacks, no external devices, no gimmicks. Rest assured, you will receive 100% control as advertised. On top of that, we have maintained all the related safety features that are associated with the stock software/BCS. We do not place reliability on the back burner nor compromise safety for the sake of a few peak numbers. WORKS chose this route for a reason and we now hope that it is clear that boost can be properly controlled in a clean manner while maintaining all of the factory safety parameters.

Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

With your type of boost control, could I run 30psi of boost? Assuming everything else is tuned.

What about using after market boost control solenoids such as the Perrin?

Without giving away secrets what changes with the new boost hose?

Does the ECU see and register the actual boost level, or some interpreted boost level?

Last edited by nutrulz; Jul 18, 2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
Account Disabled

In theory, yes. Although I wouldn't recommend trying to squeeze 30 PSI out of the stock setup Provided there are supporting mods that are able to run this boost within their design parameters, WORKS could set the PSI accordingly using our software/boost hose.

We haven't used any aftermarket solenoids. Frankly, we haven't seen the need to.

The WORKS boost hose assembly allows us to use the software to provide the control others are lacking. Exactly what is done to allow this is proprietary information that our Engineers won't be giving up.

WORKS doesn't intercept/alter any signals. What the ECU sees with the WORKS software is the same as what it sees with OEM software.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Good info Jamie - thx for the writeup.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS

OEM lines, BCS bypassed:
This is probably the most blatant form of false advertising that we have encountered. How is it possible to control the boost with the software when there are no vacuum lines being routed to the Boost Control Solenoid? This is virtually the same as running the vacuum line to atmosphere as mentioned in the test above. The only difference is that there is a little bleeder hole venting to atmosphere instead of a big hole at the end of a tube. This so-called emulator is an embarrassment to the automotive performance industry and does not demonstrate any sort
of boost control.
I wonder who this is targeted at.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good post! And long overdue!

Back in 03' They were the only one's who had really figured out factory ECU boost control and they got my business. Today it's still some of the slickest evo specific engine management money can buy, unless you really like MBC's or "controlled spikes" .
Old Jul 24, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Great post Jamie!
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

definately great post! thats why i choose works =)
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:13 PM

I noticed some of your boost graphs show full boost coming in at 5000rpm where as your graph above shows full boost @ 2-3k rpm. Is the graph you posted "actual" or a "simulation"? If it's simulation why can't or wouldn't you provide actual?

Do you trust your system enough to say you don't need a boost gauge?

Although your system appears superior, how do you justify to the consumer a price difference of $400 for an extra rubber tube and claims of superior performance?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Tr_EVO_r, I am glad you asked that question. I am anxious to hear the answer also.

I am coming from a prior Dynoflashed vehicle 2005 MR and now I have a 2005 GSR w/SSL and really am interested in the P2.

Jamie or anyone from Works, would you be willing to explain in layman's terms the basics in differences on here or via a PM to me between the P2 and Dynoflash with their Boost control?

Thanks alot, I look forward to hopefully being a lifetime customer!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

hi guys,
maybe i'll chime in with little bit of info from what i got from other fellow experienced evo members:

Truth be told, I think most of the flashes out there are pretty good as long as you get more power and your engine does not blow up. Anyhow, I think of all the flashes out there, the WORKS P2 is probably the only one that I am aware of that actually is more fuel efficient than the stock tune. The other flashes could have changed and they could theoretically save you gas, but I haven't seen any evidence that they do.

Anyhow, I would bet that most of the flashes out there produce pretty close results power wise so there are other factors you should probably consider when choosing a reflash. Personally, I ran the WORKS P2 and never had a complaint: it made good power, I saved gas versus stock and it was a very stealthy mod (I took my old Evo into the dealership a few times and they never noticed my flash, so that's a major plus in my opinion).

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but I had a very positive experience with my P2. I hope that answered your questions. If not, well then I clearly have to work on my English.
I am not sure about power differences between the two flashes. You would have to look for dyno sheets performed only on a dynojet dyno on 91 octane to be sure of the real differences. I would say that they are probably very close, BUT - my friend had an Xflash and it was audibly detonating which is a very bad thing on the Evo. It was probably a rare case, but it did happen so you can take that for what it's worth. He got rid of the Xflash, got a P2 and has been very happy so far.

A long time ago, there was a race between 3 Evos.

First Evo - P2 Only.
Second Evo - XFlash and HKS catback
and please note below is 2 year old info but still holds true
People need to take the time to understand what it is they are buying, and how it works. Is the $199 product the same as the $599 product because they both use flash technology? Are they the same if they hit similar peak HP numbers? As Shiv correctly pointed out in another thread, take the same car and put each of the three products on it and you will get dramatic enough results that you could tell instantly that the tune is not the same. This is true even if the peak HP numbers are very close.

For example, none of the current flash tuners go about controlling boost the same way. One uses a delay, one removes a pill, and one provides a new tube. They are each necessary to that tuner's approach in an effort to raise and maintain boost, but they each go about achieving that objective very differently.

Dynoflash sends a false 10 minute delay signal to the ECU.

XFlash pulls a restrictor pill from the factory line.

WORKS P2 replaces the factory boost tube with a new boost tube (note, the number of pills remains the same) and the functionality is like stock.

A programmed delay tells the ECU that the built-in grace period for spiking is now extended. Normally, the ECU allows a momentary spike and then regains control over boost and bleeds it off. The 10 minute delay isn't a method of controlling boost, it is a big, long and uncontrolled spike.

Removing a pill does not allow the ECU to control boost. It still bleeds and tapers, even though it peaks higher. When WORKS tried this exact approach, even with the solenoid set at 100% duty cycle, the boost continued to drop off and would not hold steady past 6,000 rpm. This is important, because the factory rev limit is another 1,100 rpm away and the WORKS raised rev limit provides another 500 rpm of useable revs on top of that for a total of 1,600 rpm higher power band. That's an additional 1,600 rpm of sustained, stable boost that the WORKS car is able to achieve.

The WORKS method allows a momentary spike to 19 psi or higher, just like factory approach, but once the boost hits 19 psi, it holds steady until the driver lifts off the throttle. This is because the ECU has regained control over boost after the momentary spike (the built-in grace period) and can hold it to whatever pressure WORKS chooses to set it at (at the moment, only a 19 psi version exists, although theoretically this could be set anywhere).

The method by which boost is manipulated is just one feature that sets each of these products apart. When you begin to look beneath the surface at how each of the tuners goes about setting the air/fuel ratio, ignition timing and rev limit, the products again differ greatly.

The choice of which ECU tune to buy is nowhere near as simple as choosing a ground wire kit or intake filter (products that tend to be more similar in how they work and the results they provide than they are different -- regardless of the brand name they carry) and the consequences in both the short and long term when it comes to ECU tuning are much more significant. Those that are choosing ECU reflashes based on price under the assumption that the existing flashes are all more or less the same have very little understanding of what it is that their $200-600 is buying.

Take the time to become an informed consumer. Tuning your $30k+ Evo's ECU is a big deal. Choose the tuner of your preference, but understand ahead of time how it is that they differ.

An he continues by posting the following :

More DavidV rants:

The "Jiffy Tune":

This is directed at no one in particular, but addresses the second most common criteria for choosing one flash provider over another (the first being the misguided "they are all the same except for price" beleif adressed above). Here, the sales pitch is that a "custom tune" that is "tailored" to your car is inherently better and/or worth more than a "mail order" or "off-the-shelf" flash.

I agree. A custom tune is better and worth more. I have it on me own car... but it cost me over $1,800.00 in dyno time and took over a week to achieve. Do you really think 1, 2 or 3 runs on the dyno or rips up and down the street with a datalogger is even remotely close to a "custom tune"?

It should be apparent that I am not a believer in the "Jiffy Tune." There is nothing a couple of runs on the dyno or street will show a tuner that will trigger a light bulb and allow him/her to customize with any repeatability in mind.

WORKS does not offer this service to the general public, and it is frankly not needed/beneficial. For street-level enthusiasts, this is more of a marketing gimmick, IMO, than a way of adding value.

When WORKS custom tunes for race drivers, they spend weeks doing it -- and it costs a small fortune to do. If a tuner promises you an "optimized" map based on what he/she sees in a relative split second glimpse into your car's existence, be highly skeptical.

What is far more important than a Jiffy Tune are the fundamentals behind how that tuner approaches the Evo in the first place.

It’s like buying a mass-produced CD by a critically acclaimed composer, or having a street performer make up a special song “just for you”

-- DavidV
Old Oct 20, 2005, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Great post, good info.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Tr_EVO_r
I noticed some of your boost graphs show full boost coming in at 5000rpm where as your graph above shows full boost @ 2-3k rpm. Is the graph you posted "actual" or a "simulation"? If it's simulation why can't or wouldn't you provide actual?

Do you trust your system enough to say you don't need a boost gauge?

Although your system appears superior, how do you justify to the consumer a price difference of $400 for an extra rubber tube and claims of superior performance?
The graph above shows two actual datalogs overtop one another. The numbers at the bottom represent time, not RPMs. While the "peak" boost appears to come on later, we were targeting 19.5 PSI. As shown, boost builds about the same, but holds much stronger and doesn't taper like the stock curve. Due to system design and the sensitivity of the datalog equipment, there is some slight variation shown in actual boost as the wastegate flapper is being manipulated. On a typical boost gauge, its still rock solid right around 20 PSI from the time it spools up all the way to 7800 RPMs and beyond

I would recommend a boost gauge while you still have the stock taper. Then you can compare boost behavior after you're flashed with the WORKS P2 and see the dramatic difference. After that, there's no "need" for one (mine is shoved into my glove box and I rarely use it other than to show others how well boost is holding).

I can't explain the price structure of other vendors. There is a difference in both price and tuning philosophies. (We have been approached by the international crowd and asked us why our flash is so inexpensive.)WORKS spends countless hours deciphering maps and changing parameters to improve performance while still maintaining reliability and safety. Our engineers haven't stopped either. We were the first company to offer a flash in the US. The first to offer boost control through the ECU, the first to reverse engineer the '05 launch control feature into the '03 and '04 ECUs and now that we've had the IX ECU in our posession for over a month, we are set to launch its release with MIVEC control and all the goods
Old Nov 20, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

I got a question, how does the XEDE boost control system work and is it the same as yours or does it have the problems you specifyed
Old Dec 13, 2005, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ballistic speed
I got a question, how does the XEDE boost control system work and is it the same as yours or does it have the problems you specifyed
It has the same problem outlined above. While the maps max out the boost solenoid, it can't overcome the limitations of the OEM lines.

Quick Reply: Boost "Control" Flashes