Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Bakuro's Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Are you sure the cups shouldn't be reversed and not facing away from the engine? I dont remember its been a few years on how my stand was constructed.

EDIT: nvm I was wrong here's a pic from my old rebuild thread when I knocked

Pretty sure I just used the trans bolts though.

Last edited by Raikiri; Sep 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Josh, gauge the threads, and just get longer bolts from a fastener supplier...they'll be a 1mm or 1.25mm thread pitch, ASA will tell you the diameter.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I'll have to do that. It just crossed my mind while I was posting earlier. Need to get out the the garage and pick it up a bit. The wife has thrown a lotta junk out there while she's been moving in. And my brother has been over a few times so I have tools laying all over the place. Also a new job opened up at work. Im hoping to get it, if I do it'll give me a nice bump in pay. Which will obviously translate to more car stuff getting done. LOL Im really wanting to do this engine up well so if I do get the job maybe I'll invest in some rods and pistons during the build at some point. I may be day dreaming though hahahaha
Old Sep 18, 2014, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so finally i got around to looking into this thread...i know u mentioned it to me while at the zoo etc

#1 otter's car had "joe's pulley", i believe #1 or #2 ever made actually IIRC...(before it got sold to rrm)....that's a piece of history right there!
#2 otter put those horns in...i remember he did it the day before we replaced my timing belt, lol...i was thinking of doing the same since i thought my car's horns were not working right... but then i was too lazy, the bumper woldn't come off right(got all clips and crews and bolts off but the bumper wasn't coming off still..) and i had just spent ~$350 for all the timing belt stuff
#3 isn't the point of a garage to be messy...i always thought so at least...
#4 welcome to michigan(all the rust)......plus, wasn't it wrecked and rebuilt after ~8 yrs of salt driving?
#5 only an assumption...but since the IC piping is from an evo(right?)...you'd think all the piping fits, since it's essentially an evo with a different engine..?
#6 good luck with the rest of the teardown/build!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
so finally i got around to looking into this thread...i know u mentioned it to me while at the zoo etc

#1 otter's car had "joe's pulley", i believe #1 or #2 ever made actually IIRC...(before it got sold to rrm)....that's a piece of history right there!
#2 otter put those horns in...i remember he did it the day before we replaced my timing belt, lol...i was thinking of doing the same since i thought my car's horns were not working right... but then i was too lazy, the bumper woldn't come off right(got all clips and crews and bolts off but the bumper wasn't coming off still..) and i had just spent ~$350 for all the timing belt stuff
#3 isn't the point of a garage to be messy...i always thought so at least...
#4 welcome to michigan(all the rust)......plus, wasn't it wrecked and rebuilt after ~8 yrs of salt driving?
#5 only an assumption...but since the IC piping is from an evo(right?)...you'd think all the piping fits, since it's essentially an evo with a different engine..?
#6 good luck with the rest of the teardown/build!
1) thats awesome! I didnt know that. I just knew it looked just like my RRM pulley. RA antique! HAHA!

2) sweet! I didnt see them listed on either otter or smikes parts list so I was kinda surprised to see them.

3) LMAO I guess so. Its gone neglected for a while I need to get it cleaned up soon after I get my bumper fixed.

4) Yea its coated in rust... Im gunna try to sand or brush it off and paint over it if I can. And yea Smike got hit by a Cavalier and fixed it up.

5) Yea all the pipes are fitting up pretty closely seems like the only place a bracket may be missing is on the lower half of the "upper intercooler pipe".

6) Thanks Im gunna need it. Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time in the garage soon. The new game Destiny is sucking up my free time right now... LOL
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

wish i had something to take my mind/time off wanting to work on my car...
my only distraction is my son..

luckily he's starting to sit and trying to crawl now...so it's a bit more distracting than laying there baby...
so pretty soon i'll have to chase him around and that'll be somewhat entertaining
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

get a cage for him...aka "play" pen, and sit that next to the car you're working on...

also, josh, get a move on...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

LOL Im trying to get back to it. Between the wedding, moving her in, keeping the daily's running, Im having a hard time spending much time in the garage.

Im wanting to get my bumper finished up for the white car. Then Im going to get the AC ripped out of the green car this weekend hopefully. That'll give me a final look at how the Exhaust manifold is going to be made. Then it'll be time to rip the engine out.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
get a cage for him...aka "play" pen, and sit that next to the car you're working on...
already ahead of ya....have 2...(had a 3rd...but it broke)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Got to work on it this weekend!

Removed the Ac condenser and compressor. If anyone needs an OEM condenser or radiator and fans let me know I have them laying in a corner of the garage now.

Anyway. With all the junk out of the way I have a couple of options on mounting the turbo now. Either the traditional spot or I was thinking about mounting it lower where the AC compressor was. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Going to call over my brother soon to see what he would be more comfortable fabricating.

Once that is settled the next plan is to start unhooking all the wiring harness, remove the hood, and get everything ready to pull the engine and tranny.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Got to work on it this weekend!

Removed the Ac condenser and compressor. If anyone needs an OEM condenser or radiator and fans let me know I have them laying in a corner of the garage now.

Anyway. With all the junk out of the way I have a couple of options on mounting the turbo now. Either the traditional spot or I was thinking about mounting it lower where the AC compressor was. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Going to call over my brother soon to see what he would be more comfortable fabricating.

Once that is settled the next plan is to start unhooking all the wiring harness, remove the hood, and get everything ready to pull the engine and tranny.
don't mount the turbo too low, or too far in any direction as it will affect your oil scavange.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
don't mount the turbo too low, or too far in any direction as it will affect your oil scavange.
Yea I thought about that. If I put the turbo compressor where the bracket for AC compressor is it still has plenty of drop before it turns into the oil pan.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update josh is the intercooler mounted?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

No I havent mounted anything really. I mocked it up to make sure it would fit thought. Its going to bolt to the bottom of the hood release and two places on the bottom of the radiator support. Holes are already there. The only issue was that the upper bracket interferes with the bumper support bar. so the back side of it will need to be trimmed a little so it will clear.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
No I havent mounted anything really. I mocked it up to make sure it would fit thought. Its going to bolt to the bottom of the hood release and two places on the bottom of the radiator support. Holes are already there. The only issue was that the upper bracket interferes with the bumper support bar. so the back side of it will need to be trimmed a little so it will clear.

since u already trimmed it before to fit the power brace(if it's what i remember u showed me the other day)
if you already trimmed one side of the bend, and now you have to trim the other side...it may need smoe more support...it's probably best to take it off and fab somethign else to fit...or somehow reinforce what's left

altho removing it entirely or trimming it more may or not do anything(since u already have the power brace basically reinforcing it now as it is)
but you also don't want the front end to just buckle on you taking a turn or something

Quick Reply: Bakuro's Turbo Build