Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Another Hackish ECU Reflash Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Hackish ECU Reflash Review

After some difficulties getting the ECU to me and the snowstorm delaying it I was finally able to install it on Friday.

2006 RA 5 speed manual

My Mods are:
Underdrive pully
Short Ram Intake
Exhaust header/downpipe
And a custom exhaust with no cat convertor (illegal in PA )

ECU tuned specifications:
93 Octane
Speed limit removed
Rev limit increased to 7200
Lower CAT effeciency code to come on
Mivec was not changed
And 2-Step installed and set for 5,000

After installing I let the car idle and get used to the cold weather and learn. I then had to go to work so I really didn't punch it or anything. I didn't notice anything different except that I was idling about 100-200rpms lower. Later on after work I did some testing. I opened her up on some of the back roads, I didn't really feel a power difference still, but when Mivec engaged I felt a jolt and it felt like the car lost a great deal of HP and like it was being held back. So I figured maybe it just needs to learn some more and went home.

Over the weekend I kept pushing on it, keeping it in Mivec to let the ECU learn it. After doing that for a while the car has gained a lot of horsepower, it is still acting strange once Mivec engages. Not as much power loss but its there.

The 2-Step works wonders (first time ever using/being in a car with it) It made me get pushed back into my seat when I launched. So I know that is working.

So other than the Mivec problem I have to say, anyone that is considering this, I would say go for it! I am currently emailing Hackish back and forth about the current issue, hopefully soon to be resolved!

I give it a 9/10, when problem is solved I'll glady give it a 10/10

Edit: Important! I may be jumping the gun, but its been 2 days and Mivec is working It happened after my oil change, and I decided to have some faith in my car haha. To my belief I didn't lose power when mivec engaged!!! So the past 2 days I've been pushing my car to mivec, it has yet to decrease in power. Well second gear seems a little slow but third picks up the slack. On my way home tonight mivec seemed to have a little more power, I was able to get up to 80 insanely fast, I think I have awakened a sleeping beast!

I talked to Michael about that, he said how it seems our engines are oil sensitive. I know I may be an idiot for this but I was putting 5 quarts of oil in my car, but this oil change I put 4. So I'm assuming we take 4 quarts (couldn't find it anywhere) he also said that my filter may have been clogged also, I didn't really check for that when I changed the oil though.

So here is to my awakened beast!

Last edited by Darewood; Apr 1, 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great!!! I have mine on the way With similar opitions I also raised the rev limiter to 7200, my 2 step is set to 4000 rpms , I raised my idle to 1000 for the cam coming... But it sounds good overall , I'm kinda a bit disliking about the feel of lost hp though that's not what I want ... Hope it all works out and I hope I get mine soon.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well the hp loss is only in mivec, there is significant power with the flashed ecu though. My car is just being stubborn. I did reset it and it seemed to help a little so maybe after a little more it will stay a constant power all the way.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

i been reading a lot about raising the rpm limit... something tells me if mitsu sets it to 6500, pushing the engine to 7200 probably isnt very healthy?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well hackish told me he tested it at 7500, and it was fine. He said 7200 is more of a safe area. But I have yet to push it constantly to 7200.

I know as I've been trying to get the ecu to learn mivec, I've been running the backroads at 5-6000 lol. Crazy backfire when I let off the gas
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

The stock still revs up to 6900 I don't think that is going to destroy anything going up 300 rpms more like something to brag about lol... The no cat is illegal in all 50 states btw lol. And based on ralliarize it ecu it just takes a few days to adapt to the environmental changes. Like -10 Canada to 70 Miami is going to be a big change.Keep us posted

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Feb 16, 2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

What's a two step? And I thought the stock rev limiter was 6750

Last edited by soulesswarrior; Feb 16, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by soulesswarrior
What's a two step? And I thought the stock rev limiter was 6750
A two step- I'm not sure if there is too much more to it but here goes. Hold in the clutch, push the gas and your car will rev to whatever limit you set, I have 5,000. So as I hold down the clutch+gas it wont go above 5,000. Now slip the clutch a little and go! Remember to shift As you let off the clutch and go your engine will rev above 5,000 and continue as normal as you shift. Now I'm not sure if anything special happens with N/A but I read I think somehwere on the forums when you have a turbo, it will build up your turbo for a nice launch. And believe me, the car launches with a two step

I tried explaining the best I could, hopefully you could follow me.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Well couldn't u just watch the rpm when u shift to get the same results?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Well I guess you could do that, but let's say you're at a strip and you're watching for the light. How would you watch both at the same time?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:32 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

+2 ^^^^^^ and its consistant each and everytime
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I'm just the kind who gets a feel for my car by sounds an whatnot
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Haha don't worry, I'm the same way. I've been driving a stick since 16. I rarely look at the rpm gauge. I know the sound of the engine and when to shift. Unless I floor it, then I look.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the launch control set at 2500rpm I build so much hpw and tq at low rpm i get nothing but wheel spin.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

wow thats low! To be honest I wasn't sure what to set it at. I had never owned a car with 2-step. I didn't know too much about it, I figured around there would be good since Mivec is engaged after 4. But I guess it also boils down to personal prefrence?

Quick Reply: Another Hackish ECU Reflash Review