Notices

hellpp!! 9007 HID --> H7 HID projectors??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hellpp!! 9007 HID --> H7 HID projectors??

hey everyone!

i had 6k 9007 HID's installed with my stock headlamps on my 06 ralliart.. i purchased some new projector headlamp assy's and installed them no problem. Unfortunately once i got my projector headlamps i found out that the bulbs required in them are H7 (low beam) and H1 (high beam)... however the connection for the actual lightbulbs are wired through the headlamp assembly both into one connector to my vehicles power socket. My 9007 bulbs that i had in my stock headlamps just ran right to the wires coming from by Ballast's...

What can i do here? will it work okay if i just order replacement H7 and H1 bulbs and pop them into the headlamp assembly? i saw in most pictures online of the H7 and H1 bulbs they come with the connectors attached to them which go to the connectors on the Ballast.. but not into the projector assembly...

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i would like to get my HID's running again with my new projectors... BTW halo's look awesome!!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

You'll probably have some kind of a conversion harness included for the H7 bulbs that connects to the 9007 plug, just a generic connector of some sorts (I hard wired my projector headlights in because of such harnesses - mine was junk haha). Then the other end of the harness will plug in and power the H7 bulbs. This is what's going to bring power to the headlamps normally if you stay halogen, but this won't work with an H7 HID because of how most of the kits are designed.

H7 HID's are kind of strange but you'll need to ground a negative wire (included on the HID harness) - probably for both bulbs - to the chassis or string to the negative battery terminal. Then there will be male or female positive connector built into the HID harness, this should attach to either one end of the bulbs or plug into one the bulb connectors.

Kind of a basic idea of how the ground/power should work ^

Then from there just hook up the remaining ballast plugs or whatever else is left.

I would imagine that you might be required to use a different ballast, but for all I know most of HID kits use about the same thing that are built in the same factory.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:36 AM

Appreciate the help!! I should have taken a picture of the back of my projector assembly. The h7 halogen bulb that is now in there connects to a harness that is actually wired inside the headlamp assembly... If u understand what I mean. That same harness connects to the high beam (h1) and daytime running lights, this is a integrated into one, and then comes out the bottom of the assembly into one plug..

Still in a bit of a pickle !
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
nerdbot im sorry but you just made it wayyyy more complicated than it needs to be... i'll take a picture of how my stuff is wired up with my HID kit in my projector housings. pedalhead we probably have the same projectors

Some pics

As seen in the first picture you need to cut a hole for the grommet for the wires to go through.

Order of wiring is h7 bulb -> grommet -> ballast -> grommet -> h7 power supply

Last edited by Raikiri; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Meaning you need to buy a new H7 hid kit. You can no longer use the 9007 kit
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Meh, did my best trying to remember off the top of an installation kit manual I read one time.

Pictures more or less sum up what I was trying to say.

edit - second glance, yours looks a little different then the h7 kit I've seen.. maybe these kits are made different after all

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Mar 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

how is it different? its the same setup for every h7 kit i've bought from either hidextra or ddmtuning
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have two wires leading into the h7 plug or just one

I'm referencing from seeing an eBay kit that was for a neg going to chassis or straight to battery post, only the pos went into the h7 plug

The neg/positive were also loose from one another, looks like they wrap up and head in the same direction in your pic.

Just observing the differences.

Then again, because I've never installed an HID kit on this car OP - pay attention to Raikiri's cause I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

there are 4 wires that go through the grommet. a pos and neg wire from the bulb that connect to the ballast. the other pos and neg wire come from the ballast and connect to the power supply that is located within the housing.

nerdbot i think what you saw was a HID kit that included a relay that connected directly to the battery. they use them in some cars where the wiring is not capable of supplying enough power to power up or maintain the HID bulb
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
there are 4 wires that go through the grommet. a pos and neg wire from the bulb that connect to the ballast. the other pos and neg wire come from the ballast and connect to the power supply that is located within the housing.

nerdbot i think what you saw was a HID kit that included a relay that connected directly to the battery. they use them in some cars where the wiring is not capable of supplying enough power to power up or maintain the HID bulb
There ^ that makes sense, forget where I am sometimes. DRL's are mandatory here. The setups I'm used to seeing boost the voltage provided to the DRL's with a relay or from straight battery power, which prevents the HID's from flickering from the half power it's receiving.

There are also anti flicker harnesses that can be purchased for the same kit you have installed.

*forehead smack*
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

yeah I dont have DRLs in my ralliart so I never had to worry about that.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:21 AM

New H7 kit on order to replace my 9007's... went with a standard 6000k white, also had to pickup the 3000k yellow fogs while i was searchin around haha.

Thanks for the help i will refer back to this info upon installation and let you know how it goes1
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:16 PM

New lights installed, works great!! thankyou everyone for your help...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:34 PM

Hey NerdbotSKRA,

Do you have a howto with the DRL relay on the projector headlamps?

I have the projector headlamps and getting the H7 HID Kit.

thanks!

Quick Reply: hellpp!! 9007 HID --> H7 HID projectors??