Notices

Annoying Rear Squeak

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Annoying Rear Squeak

So ever since it has turned cold (below 30 F) I have the most annoying rear squeak coming from my car. I have owned the car 6 years and have never had this noise before. The only thing added over the summer was a new progress sway bar. I tried lubricating all rubber on the sway bar with silicone lubricant.

The noise sounds like it is coming from inside my trunk though even though I know it is not. When I pop the trunk and bounce the car, the noise is loudest right around the top of the strut towers. The noise is equal on both sides of the car. My car does have original struts (65K miles) but does not exhibit any behavior typical with blown struts. They are not leaking any oil.

As soon as it goes above freezing for a day I was planning on jacking up the car and spraying the tops of the struts with silicon lubricant.

Has anyone else who has the sway bar noticed this? Any input appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
After I installed my Whiteline rear sway bar I started getting a noise much like what you are describing except it is a tapping sound not a squeak. I asked if anyone else had this a while back and they said no. So I assumed it was my struts which I know are blown now. Im replacing them soon as I get a warm day to do it. If it goes away I'll let you know. I couldnt figure out what it was either. I thought it was tapping the bottom of the spare tire well but I wrapped it with pipe insulation and it still did it. IDK... :-/
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I've checked all the bolts on the sway bar and it is tight. My exhaust hanger does rub a little on the sway bar but not enough to really make any noise.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
squeaks are normally bushings ( or hinge points) but it could be sway bar end links, control arms, trailing arms etc. lubricate them all and replace any that are cracked or damaged...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Are there any bushings on the tops of the struts themselves?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
Are there any bushings on the tops of the struts themselves?
The shock mounts are up there and they can squeak, but given that our rear control arm bushings are known to squeak like mice in an orgy, I would start with the arms.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Is spray silicone lubricant the best thing to use or is there a thicker silicone grease?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Antiseize / copper grease is best.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find when it's cold whenever I am backing up, whether in reverse or neutral, something in the rear squeaks. As soon as I start driving forwards, it's gone. I puts definitely not the brakes since it still squeaks just rolling backwards off the driveway. I don't have any current mods at all. Hmmm...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by camm.eng
I find when it's cold whenever I am backing up, whether in reverse or neutral, something in the rear squeaks. As soon as I start driving forwards, it's gone. I puts definitely not the brakes since it still squeaks just rolling backwards off the driveway. I don't have any current mods at all. Hmmm...
I have exactly this issue during the exact maneuver and I think it is the right rear brake.
Especially since the noise is louder when the brake disc has had a chance to rust.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If we both have the same squeak...its not strut related. I started getting the squeak before AND after coilovers. My guess is probably a control arm/sway bar bushing. If you find out let me know and ill let you know if I hear anything as well.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't have any kind of suspension mods(aside from having installed monroe shocks front and rear 3 winters ago, along with new mounts front and rear) and iev always had a noise(bought car used about 4 yrs ago)...

about 6 months ago i replaced all 6 rear control arms(3 each side)...now...not a single squeak or sound from anywhere, also the car is a bit more level(oe ride height/level), and doesn't eat up the inside edges of my rear tires anymore...also i can do a proper alignment now...(since out of 12 bolts for the control arms, there's 4 adjustable for camber and caster and i could only adjust 1 of them by the time i replaced all of them)

slathered all bolts and nuts with antiseize....and so far no issues......only cost a little over $300 from mitsuparts.net for all 6 arms, 12 bolts, 10 nuts and 4 washers(IIRC)....(plus free labor provided by myself)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

So yesterday I washed the undercarriage and after it dried I sprayed all the bushings and flex points in silicone lubricant. It seemed to do the trick for the most part. The squeak went away. It sounds like it might be coming back a little this morning so it may only be a temporary fix.

I think it probably is the lower control arm bushings as there was a TSB by Mitsubishi on them. The factory bushings were not rated for really cold weather and tended to squeak. Mitsubishi supposedly redesigned them but never issued a recall, only a TSB. Mine never had a problem before this year. I wonder if the stiffer sway bar tends to exacerbate the problem. Either way I won't do anything until it goes above freezing here. It is way too hard to target suspension noises on our Ralliarts when the temperature is below zero.

Thanks for all the replies and input.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
The shock mounts are up there and they can squeak, but given that our rear control arm bushings are known to squeak like mice in an orgy, I would start with the arms.
+1

You could systematically lube things up to find out what's causing your problem.

My sway bar end links were completely shot. After replacing those, the car still had a creak, after lubing up every bushing I could find ultimately turned out to be our all-so-famous control arm bushings.

I don't imagine the rear strut mounts would squawk at you as much as they would chatter, rattle, or thump, but with the reputation that our suspensions have, anything goes unfortunately haha.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:44 PM

Hmm... I also have a squeak whenever I pull up or let down the e-brake. It happens whether its warm or cold, but more noticeable when it is cold. I doubt it has anything to do with when I back up but it sounds like it is coming from the same place and sounds like the same, if not, very similar squeak.

Quick Reply: Annoying Rear Squeak