Notices

04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by truthdweller
Correct me if I'm wrong Garrett (Cranswick), but Hackish offers for purchase the Fastworks software plus an electronic tune, or "remapping" of the stock ECU. You literally receive an electronic file in your email, and you upload it to your ECU via a cable and a laptop.
That's correct...you buy the software license, which is licensed to your VIN #, this allows you to download and use new builds of the software each time they are released (software is still in development). A base tune is included with your purchase, cable is sold separately. you read your stock ECU, (downloads the stock tune to a file to keep as a backup, if you ever need to revert to stock). Then, the file you get with the software is a remapped version of the stock ROM. Once the ECU is flashed with the tuned file, you can read, edit and write whenever you want. I have like 12 tunes (files) that I made myself using my original dyno tune. I have two for 8psi on 89 and 91 octane, I have two for 10psi on 91 and 94 octane, I have 12psi on 91 and 94, and 14psi on 94, and each one of those have different versions, like more or less aggressive ignition timing, and various other limits that are different...like for street and track I use different 2-step launch control settings, IAT enrichments, throttle limits to control traction, etc.

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Garrett, I received this message over on my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/MLSR20042006) and I need some help...

"I have a '04 Sportback (not the Ralliart) with 111k on it. I want to change the timing belt. I found on ebay the kit. But I wanted to put a racing timing belt like the blue Gates. But I can't find somebody to be sure which one to buy for our engine. Do you know a good timing belt for our engine. I am looking for one that will keep me more than 100k at least."

Respond here and or respond at the link above...thanks!
I replied to that already on this forum...
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you can adjust the tune yourself say if you put your car on a dyno. You can tune it on there?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, or you can pay a tuner to do it if you're paying for a dyno session anyway...otherwise you would just street tune...the software is an all-in-one trouble code reader, ECU read and write (reflash), tune editor and datalogger...so basically, you datalog, then use that data to fine tune.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Long weekend was not long enough. LOL

Worked on the beetle Saturday, Went to cincinnati and hung out with Nekkidlad and his wife and baby, And worked around the house Monday.

Was a very busy but fun weekend. LOL
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

better than mine...i spent 2 full days under my brother's ranger...he broke the reverse band in his transmission, so he got a cheap one from a wrecker, while i rebuild his, but he had some guys put the new tranny in, and they didn't install the torque converter correctly and it tore the pump drive gear to pieces...so my brother-in-law and I had to pull back off, swap the old pump into the new transmission, and then reinstall...luckily they left a bunch of mounting bolts loose, when they were all done, and tried to drive it so we didn't have much of a hard time taking it out.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Did anyone else get the new game Destiny? Its so good...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

not for PC
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Its coming out on PC in march. Activision wanted to release it on the consoles first for some reason. Im assuming they are waiting for something DLC related to be released first.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Its coming out on PC in march. Activision wanted to release it on the consoles first for some reason. Im assuming they are waiting for something DLC related to be released first.
they will likely pull a crytek (formerly known in my books as "pulling a rockstar", example GTA IV), and port a game written for a console to PC, leaving me with **** poor simplified controls, and huge performance requirements for less than leading edge graphics, and textured objects that don't load until you hit their invisible wire frame at 150mph. At least the hardware requirement for cryengine 2 was high for a legit reason. That's why it was so hurtful crytek would do such a thing (crysis 2) to a huge loyal fanbase (farcry, and then crysis), after leaving the PC gaming community in financial crisis (pun intended) after everyone upgraded their graphics card to witness the glory of the engine...unreal 3 did not compare in my opinion, even though I think it was a little older, and the only game that even used cryengine 2 at the time was the original crysis, and later warhead...which is a side story. even to this day, cryengine 2 was not used for very many games, though cryengine 3 has a long list of very promising looking games.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 10, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

I havent looked into cryengine 3 much. I remember how awesome Crysis 1 was though. 2 didnt do much for me.

From what I understand though. Destiny was actually built as a PC game and ported to the consoles, which is how they managed to make it for 4 different consoles and not alter the game. But for whatever reason Activision wanted to hold off on the PC launch until March... Im thinking about buying it again for PC when it comes out. I have a lotta friends who will play it on PC but refuse to buy a next gen console.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
Went to race track over the weekend to watch the Pirelli World Challenge. One of the side races included the Road Race Motorsports Fiat Abarth. I went over to chat with the crew after the race and they were kinda jerks and didn't want to talk.

Maybe this was due to them finishing dead last and not even being competitive. Maybe they were the only one running in their class but they were noticeably the slowest car on the track.
Really? Thats hilarious considering how much they blow up instagram with stuff about that car. They've liked a bunch of the pictures of my RA on there though! lol
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Really? Thats hilarious considering how much they blow up instagram with stuff about that car. They've liked a bunch of the pictures of my RA on there though! lol
I thought the Abarth would be a little more competitive, especially against the Mazdaspeed 3's. Again maybe they were running in a much lower class with no other competition but it was sad to see them get passed by everything out there.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just checked the results and the RRM Fiat took last in its class of 10 cars. Qualifying it was a good 5 seconds slower than the 9th place car.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

hahaha...probably cause it's tuned with a piggy back and a 5th injector...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

I hate working on VWs... I dont understand what they were thinking when they designed the engine they stuffed under the hood of the 1999-2005 (or whatever) Beetle... And what is up with all the tiny *** allen bolts?! I had to work on my wife's 1.8l turbo beetle last night. She told me the CEL came on, was flashing at some points, the car was shaking real bad, and the engine was knocking. I get home, start it up. Its not knocking its missing and rocking the engine like crazy. Pulled the CEL, P0303. Misfire on Cyl 3. I google this to see if there is a common fix for the beetles. Found everything from spark plugs, vacuum lines, coilpacks, injectors, fuel pumps, piston rings, valve seats, yada yada yada... So since I could smell a lot of gas while it was running and the Cyl 3 injector seemed to have some moisture around it I decided to switch the injectors around and see if the misfire moves to another cyl. No luck. Pulled the Cyl 3 spark plug, tested it, dead. Replaced the spark plug. Still nothing. Picked up a coil pack, installed it, installed all new spark plugs while I was at it, replaced all the old vacuum lines with fresh ones, swapped the injectors back around to how they were. And viola it worked!!! My back was killing me after being bent over that stupid little engine bay for so long...

Quick Reply: 04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread