Notices

Need to change my thermostat!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need to change my thermostat!!

I have a 05 ralliart and im very confused on where my thermostat is, can anyone point me in the right direction preferably with a picture Also am I going to lose alot of coolant?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:32 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and yes to losing alot of coolant
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
you shouldn't lose that much, just whatever is in the head at the time, as long as you keep the lower rad hose up in the air you won't lose too much out of there...i think i ended up losing a few quarts when i removed the entire thermostat housing from the intake manifold, but i think if you have the new one ready to go, you should be able to swap them quickly without losing too much coolant...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very important: if you replace it with an OEM one make sure that the jiggle is in top and the rubber gasket sits perfect on the thermostat. When you take out the old one make sure you don't leave the old gasket in.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:33 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! Also one more question, do i need to apply any special sealant? And how long before i can drive my car again? thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

No, there is no need to put any sealant. Make sure that no oil adheres to the rubber ring of the thermostat also make sure you do not fold or scratch it.

I am not sure I understand what do you mean by how long before you can drive your car but after you're done installing the thermostat refill the coolant, run it with cap off to get the air pockets out and you're good to go.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

yes, make sure your coolant level is normal, and that's pretty much it...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Any updates?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:36 PM

just waiting till the weekend then ima go for it! btw thank you again, really appreciate the advice guys. and yes i will keep you all updated.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

damn, sorry, wrong post...

Last edited by dacib; Nov 16, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

after you're done...dont be afraid if the hoses never really get HOT...
i replaced mine last year with the help of otter(along w/ timing belt and tensioner, balance belt, pulleys and the water pump...twice)
to this day ive never had the hoses get really hot...ones warm the other warmer..even when the car is at full temp and the gauge normally sits just below the mid level...i even made a thread about it..lol
(<<<see my av...)...

just remember to burp and top off the system when ur done...the best way to make sure the air pockets are out is to get the car hot sitting there and top it off all the way, drive around for a few miles...make sure you work the pedal going faster/slower etc (to use the water pump to help slosh things around internally) and then with the car hot still CAREFULLY remove the radiator cap(it WILL be hot) check the radiator level and top off as needed then let the car cool off all the way, then redo the process as needed..(ussually 1nce is enough maybe 2wice may be needed tho)

Last edited by nekkidlad; Nov 23, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
CAREFULLY remove the radiator cap(it WILL be hot)
use a fairly large, thick rag to turn the cap...people have lost their faces this way, though it should not explode with steam at normal operating temperatures, it's not worth the risk...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:00 PM

Okay, so i finally changed out my thermostat. Alot more coolant came out then what i expected but otherwise it was pretty easy. Mine was stuck open, im gonna assume thats better than being stuck closed right?! To the person who posted the diagram of where the thermostat was located, ty ty ty so much!! it really did help. And ofcourse i forgot to take a picture im sorry!!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it's better to be opened then closed. If it's closed it will overheat and then you'll have to replace the head gasket which is expencive. If it's opened it will not reach the normal temp but nothing will break. Have you run the car with the radiator cap off for a little to let all the air out from the system? Make sure you keep an eye on the coolant level in the overflow tank for the next few days.

Quick Reply: Need to change my thermostat!!