Notices

How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir

For some reason, my reservoir was super dirty (I think the clutch cylinder seals were breaking down or something odd was going on) So I decided to clean it.

Things you will need:

Pipe cleaners (got a bag of 50 for $1 at the dollar store)
Hammer
Punch
Something to drain the fluid out of the reservoir
Rags
Partner to help you bleed everything again
bucket (optional)
Favorite tv program or movie or radio station or music player with your favorite music that you don't mind listening to while you clean...(optional)
Fan and rubbing alcohol to dry the reservoir (optional) or brake fluid

I don't have any pictures of the reservoir removal, but it is pretty simple. Follow these steps:

1. Suck out/remove all the fluid from the reservoir.

2. Look below the reservoir for a pin which hold the reservoir on to the brake master cylinder. Get your punch and hammer and knock this pin off

3. Stuff a bunch of rags/cloth/something absorbent under the reservoir/brake master cylinder area to catch the fluid flow.

4. Remove the clutch line to the reservoir by removing the hose clamp and pull the line off, making sure to catch any fluid that comes out.

5. Pull straight up/wiggle and the reservoir will come off the brake master cylinder.

Here are some pictures of the reservoir in my sink

6. Fill a bucket/sink (that your significant other won't kill you if you get it dirty) with hot water and some soap. I like to use dawn.

7. I filled the reservoir with soapy water and shook, minimal amount of crud came out

Attached Thumbnails How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1622.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1623.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1625.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1626.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1628.jpg  

Last edited by Canada_Comp; May 26, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Here is another picture of the crud that came out in the sink:

8. (Not really a step) Get your pipe cleaners. They can be bent and shaped or twisted together to become a stronger, or they are flexible to bend when you shove it in and will bunch up and scrap off crud at the same time.

9. (optional) Get your bucket and fill it with hot soapy water, sit down in front of your tv (I sat infront of my laptop) and play your favorite movie (I think I was watching family guy online)

10. Get creative with the pipe cleaners. Make a hockey stick, twist two together to make a thicker pipe cleaner. Shove it in holes to make it bunch up in the tight spot, twist two together to make a longer one. Make a loop and bend it so it fits around the baffles of the reservoir. This step took me an hour to get all the crud out, my fingers were all wrinkly by the end of it.

I poured the water out in to the sink, this is what it looked like:

11. Rinse the master cylinder with water, then rubbing alcohol (use the highest percentage you can get). the rubbing alcohol is hygroscopic like the brake fluid and will absorb water. When you pour it out the rubbing alcohol will carry the dissolved water out, and the remaining alcohol will just evaporate. You can also do the same thing with brake fluid but it won't really evaporate. Next think i did was put a plastic bag on the fan and and put the other end on the filler end of the reservoir. The air was channeled through the cylinder and left overnight to dry any last bits of remaining water.

All Clean

12. Reinstall is the reverse of the removal. Then get your partner to help you bleed the system of air.
Attached Thumbnails How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1627.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1629.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1630.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1631.jpg   How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir-img_1632.jpg  

Last edited by Canada_Comp; May 26, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
does your clutch work now? lol!

j/k, but seriously that thing was filthy...good write up
Old May 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah wow
Old May 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Haha well it works fine right now, It's just random that it stops working.

I hope I can help someone out with this in case they need to clean their reservoir.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you. Its amusing you can keep your sense of humour thru all this car stuff.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:51 AM

How would u clean out the brake master cylinder? Or is that even needed. Seems like all that sediment would be in there
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robert_dshiznit
How would u clean out the brake master cylinder? Or is that even needed. Seems like all that sediment would be in there
You would have to take it all apart which you really don't have to do unless you are having problems.. There should also be a screen inside the resivoir that stops gunk from entering the master cylinder
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^doing a good brake fluid flush will help clean the brake/clutch master cylinders..

from what i understand/what have been told that black crud is particles from inside the rubber lines and particles of metal oxidized and flowing through the system and they settle anywhere but the reservoir collects the most since it doesnt circulate as much as the rest of the system...
when the brake fluid collects water(by being hygroscopic) it gets acidic and starts eating away at the inside of liines and hoses, seals etc...and all that crud floats around in the system mainly it just makes it look dirty, but eventually it can cause issues...thats why very old fluid looks black and isn't see through...(also with heat cycling it discolors but thats besides the point)

good job cleaning all that stuff out...

after all that cleaning and the brake flush it should feel like an almost new brake system(specially if new pands/rotors....)
Old May 31, 2015, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmm, well, brake fluid is poisonous and toxic. You shouldn't be draining a whole heap of it down the sink, no different than not draining your used motor oil.

Honestly, what are you thinking? Drain it into a reservoir and drop it off at a service station. And you don't clean your brake parts with soap. You do it with a mild brake parts cleaner.

And your reservoir probably looked as bad as it did because you didn't replace the fluid as you should, every year or so.
Old May 31, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Go away, church lady.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

I guess the only saving grace here is that your broke *** will skip a lot of periodic maintenance on your piece of **** Lancer, so that's a couple fewer oil changes making their way into the public sewer.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

So, fafaf**kface, your city uses the river and the Atlantic ocean as it's personal toilet and toxic waste dump, and you show up on an auto enthusiast forum upset about an oily paper towel?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

If you can't do vehicle maintenance properly, leave it to a professional.

Or pick up a service manual and try to follow at least some of the steps inside. I'm one to think there's hope for everyone, even an ignoramus like you. I think you can do it. I think you can better yourself. All the best.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ WOW F**Kface, you drive an Evo yet call a Lancer POS and talk about others hurting the environment, yet you care so much you drive an Evo. Must be a fairly rubbish evo since you need to post in the POS Lancer forums to boost your self esteem. Guess you know the meanings of neither ignorance nor hypocrite.

Quick Reply: How to: Clean your brake/clutch reservoir