Notices

Wheel wobble around 50+

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel wobble around 50+

Just wondering if anyone has an idea what the problem could be?
Somewhere around 50 mph my steering wheel starts shaking and around 60 it shakes a bit more i try not to go much faster on interstates because of it. At first I assumed it was alignment and since my tires needed changed I just got new tires all around alignment and tires balanced. The shop said the inner tie bars needed replaced so they did that to and aligned it again. But still when I go 50+ I get the same wobble in the steering wheel. Also when I am going down the road the car tends to want to drift right. But if I hold the steering wheel straight and firm it goes in a straight line. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe it's something simple I'm just missing.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your motor mounts.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Your tires need to be balanced or you have bulges on the tires. But your saying you just got new tires alignment an balance so that's a tough.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Check your motor mounts.
Didn't think of that !! but yes check the motor mounts !!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

What should I look for in the motor mounts? And where are they located?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Kinda new to this car
And they said one rim was bent slightly but they put it on the back and said it balanced out
Highly doubt it has anything to do with the rim

Last edited by Ralliart367; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Im pretty sure there are 4 motor mounts might be wrong. but if it is your mounts look for a lot of vibration an movement on your engine, the engine can also sag/ lean or also make a clunk noise or just some sort of noise.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

could be a bad alignment, could be a bent rim, could be an out of round tire.
also check that tire pressure is equal on all four wheels..
how does your suspension look? is it in good shape, no play, no bad struts?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i would look at your tie-rod ends, and maybe inner rods...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

The struts aren't leaking any fluid but honestly feel like crap. I was planning to replace them when I did my lowering springs on the front. They feel shot. Could that have something to do with it?
And I think the tires are good I mean I got a good look at them before we got them put on, and it might be a bad alignment to be honest I had to take it back twice to get them to align it good and it still pulls but my friend said it could be a tire pulling one direction to just move them in a cross pattern and it should fix it but the tires are directionals...
Also just got new inner tie rods and they checked the outer tie rods everything was good.

Last edited by Ralliart367; Jan 13, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

At slower speeds you can feel it wobble switching lanes sometimes.
Also if it helps it has a clean title. Never wrecked.
But also when I removed the pinstripe on the back passenger side the pinstripe was in the paint almost, it wasn't the stock pinstripe unless all of our cars are like that. It looked like brand new pinstripe, and was different. But it doesn't look re painted or painted to match. Just made me question if it had been in an accident before and maybe something out of line. Cause also the front bumper is slightly cracked and just slightly lower on the passenger side, and the drivers door is slightly out of line with the rest of the car at the top right
If the car was in an accident and is out of line is there something I can to check? Like anything to look out for under the car?

Last edited by Ralliart367; Jan 13, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the lug nuts , they might be loose?

As for checking to see if it was in an accident. Pop the hood look at the top of each fender and front bumper to make sure it has the vin printed on it. Of not it's at least been replaced, check each of your windows in the lower corner for the symbol and matching numbers.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Check the lug nuts , they might be loose?

As for checking to see if it was in an accident. Pop the hood look at the top of each fender and front bumper to make sure it has the vin printed on it. Of not it's at least been replaced, check each of your windows in the lower corner for the symbol and matching numbers.
Thanks ima check tomorrow in the daylight
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i say it's the tires need re-balancing/rotating(yeah even tho they're directional...just have to remount them after u get the vibration gone if you switch the sides)...try rotating only one side at a time front to back...does it go away, or get worse?....
or a/the wheels...somwhere on the front one of your wheels may be bent...

inspect the wheels for any bends(inside lip), bulges in the tire sidewalls, possibly missing wheel weights...

you may end up needing to replace 1 or more tires and/or wheels, or maybe u just need a balance and rotate(w/ remount if needed, since they're directional)....

my car drives like a massage chair...but im not about to go buy 4 wheels.....yet.....(they're all lightly bent), rt now i have the 4 tires set in a way where there's the least vibration...but still shakes a bit on the fway

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jan 14, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Get a report on the alignment specs. If they put any more than -.5 camber on the front you will get a vibration in the steering wheel above 50mph. I had mine purposely set to -1 and it has a slight vibration at high speed. I'd also look into replacing that bent wheel, but that would be noticeable at any speed if it was bad enough. Check your tires that none are warped for any reason and that you have even tire pressure. Sounds like a bad alignment thought maybe one side has a bit too much toe in either direction.

Take it to another shop tell them you took it elsewhere twice and your still getting vibrations, ask them to check the alignment and fix anything out of the norm. It never hurts to have a second opinion.

As for motor mounts. Its been my experience that you dont really get vibration while driving but while sitting. If your motor mounts are worn you will actually be able to park somewhere flat, pop the hood, and pull on the strut bar toward you, if your engine rocks back and forth (a lot) you need to replace your front mount. There is a how to that goes into good detail on hardening the stock one, but shows you how to get to the front mount.

Good luck! Unexpected vibrations like that are a pain... and there are so many things that can attribute to them...

Quick Reply: Wheel wobble around 50+