Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS or HKS exhaust...vs UR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS or HKS exhaust...vs UR

first post...trying to decide on an exhaust...

About a year ago I tried the UR axleback exhaust, but found it too loud for my tastes and since I live in a hilly area, it droned way too much so I removed it. I don't want anything too loud and noticeable as I'm trying to go for more of a sleeper look.

Now I'm trying to decide between the AMS twin tip catback and HKS legamax muffler. My favorite part of the AMS is that I can get stock tips, but I'm worried that since it is a catback, it will be louder then the UR axleback. Has anyone heard both to compare?

Doing my research the HKS is probably the sound I'm looking for, but the burnt TI tips aren't much help in the stealth department. So I'm caught between stock look/possibly loud sound, versus soft sound/attention grabbing look. Anyone have any opinions, or have heard the UR axleback versus the AMS twin tip? I've almost decided to give up a looking on an exhaust, probably because I'm just too picky
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Legamax is going to be the quieter one; and worse case scenario, either paint the tips with high temp paint, or have an exhaust show weld on different ones (you can send me ur unwanted Ti tips for giving you helpful info )
Old Mar 2, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Some guys think the 4" dual tips of the DC Sports exhaust are a little too bold, but if you are looking for great performance with just slightly louder than stock sound, that would certainly be an exhaust to add to your list of consideration.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

are you selling your UR exhaust?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:08 PM

The DC exhaust is tempting after taking a closer look. I don't know if I like how far the ends protrude, but it's probably less noticeable than having blue tips? I don't mind the 4" size, it's more the color that's getting to me. Is it quieter than the UR axleback? Sound clips are good, but a bit hard to tell.

Unless I go for the DC, I'm thinking I'll get the HKS and see how I like the tips. If after awhile they bug me too much or I get unwanted attention, then I'll paint em.

I already parted ways with my UR exhaust.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forlorn110
The DC exhaust is tempting after taking a closer look. I don't know if I like how far the ends protrude, but it's probably less noticeable than having blue tips? I don't mind the 4" size, it's more the color that's getting to me. Is it quieter than the UR axleback? Sound clips are good, but a bit hard to tell.

Unless I go for the DC, I'm thinking I'll get the HKS and see how I like the tips. If after awhile they bug me too much or I get unwanted attention, then I'll paint em.

I already parted ways with my UR exhaust.

oh okay thanks anyway
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Since the DC SPORTS exhaust was already mentioned, I will throw my two-cents in. I have this cat-back exhaust on my RA, and I absolutely love it. I wasn't necessarily going for a sleeper look, but what I wanted was something that was a bit louder/deeper over stock and one that did not drone. To my astonishment, I got exactly that.

Granted, I am biased since I own the exhaust, but as another member mentioned, it should definitely be considered along with the AMS and HKS exhausts based upon your wants.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I would be in the exact same position. I would consider DC for its low price tag, but the tips seem to be a tad too long..

HKS is my #1 choice but the price tag is insane....
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ultimate Racing hands down owns all The droning isnt too bad and u really get used to it. Thats just a small compromise that has to be made for the amazing sound that comes out.

I have never been so pleased. Even my gf doesnt mind.

In your case i would go DC sports, IF ur not going for the UR.

Just a though.....you have the UR axle back....what about ordering a mini-muffler / resonator combo from UR and putting that on and making it a catback? That would be the cheapest route. I think that would cost you $280.

Having the mini muffler and resonator might dim the resonation enough for.

Last edited by ArtofRalli; Mar 2, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:23 PM

Well after doing a bunch of research I actually just got the AMS twin tip exhaust installed last night and let me tell you, this things sounds $#@#ing badass, its not too loud at all and has a just clean *** sound. Not to mention AMS is the **** when it comes to anything .
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:22 PM

After listening to more clips and reading all your posts, I am now 100% torn between DC and HKS

Again with the DC, it sounds really good in the vids, just hard to really get an idea without hearing it in person, but everyone seems to agree it is one of the quieter ones and hopefully quieter than my UR. Still, I'm having a rough time looking past those long tips. I'm not too concerned with the HKS price since I know I will be getting something soft, but those blue tips...

I already got rid of my UR and I think I don't go the AMS route

Has anyone had any problems with the DC Sports exhaust droning? Living on a hill and doing a lot of city driving has me worried
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:20 AM

After listening to more clips and reading all your posts, I am now 100% torn between DC and HKS

Again with the DC, it sounds really good in the vids, just hard to really get an idea without hearing it in person, but everyone seems to agree it is one of the quieter ones and hopefully quieter than my UR. Still, I'm having a rough time looking past those long tips. I'm not too concerned with the HKS price since I know I will be getting something soft, but those blue tips...

I already got rid of my UR and I think I don't go the AMS route

Has anyone had any problems with the DC Sports exhaust droning? Living on a hill and doing a lot of city driving has me worried
I have had the DC cat back on for about a week now and i love it. I was looking for the same thing you were no drone yet a little bit deeper then stock. Now i have not heard the UR in person but i am almost positive this DC is much quieter. There is no drone at all with this exhaust. Driving with windows up i sometimes can't even tell that i changed out the stock one. The HKS is expensive!! and i believe you can spend the $500 on the DC sports and be glad that you went with them.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Snipe's comments above pretty much mirror my own experience with the DC Sports exhaust I have had on my car for the last month or so.

I have never noticed any droning at all (due to the standard resonator), fitment and install were perfect, and there is a noticeable increase in performance.

I am particularly pleased with the fact that even though the exhaust certainly has a more pronounced sort of "mild growl" compared to the stock exhaust, my wife does not find the exhaust note objectionable.
Now that was an unexpected bonus!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Dc exhaust = sex not **** but pure sex
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:54 AM

So many people seem to have the DC Sports exhaust, and no one really seems to have the HKS, so that is swaying my decision. I noticed a couple people had some fitment issues with it tho; has anyone had problems getting it installed and fitted properly?

Quick Reply: AMS or HKS exhaust...vs UR