Notices

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires

I've done a lot of reading around the forums and getting a lot of conflicting opinions.

I have a 2013 Ralliart and I've read that it's a good idea to get rid of the Stock tires. I need to replace one of them anyways, so I might as well get 4 new ones.

I believe the stocks are Yokohama ADVAN A10A, which are summer tires.

I live in New England, where the winters can get pretty rough, so I'm thinking of getting all seasons.

I started looking into Continental ExtremeContact DWS, but read that they feel 'floaty' on dry/wet, or something to that effect.

So I looked into Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I tried looking up opinions here but I see a lot of threads referring to Michelin Super Sport, which I believe are the Summer versions.

A lot of the information I've come across is pretty old as well. So I'm throwing a post up to see what people think of those two tires. I was leaning towards the Michelin, unless anyone thinks I really shouldn't get those.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=145YR8PSAS3XL

Continental ExtremeContact DWS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=145YR8ECDWSXL

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 07:50 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogean
I've done a lot of reading around the forums and getting a lot of conflicting opinions.

I have a 2013 Ralliart and I've read that it's a good idea to get rid of the Stock tires. I need to replace one of them anyways, so I might as well get 4 new ones.

I believe the stocks are Yokohama ADVAN A10A, which are summer tires.

I live in New England, where the winters can get pretty rough, so I'm thinking of getting all seasons.

I started looking into Continental ExtremeContact DWS, but read that they feel 'floaty' on dry/wet, or something to that effect.

So I looked into Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I tried looking up opinions here but I see a lot of threads referring to Michelin Super Sport, which I believe are the Summer versions.

A lot of the information I've come across is pretty old as well. So I'm throwing a post up to see what people think of those two tires. I was leaning towards the Michelin, unless anyone thinks I really shouldn't get those.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=145YR8PSAS3XL

Continental ExtremeContact DWS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=145YR8ECDWSXL

Thanks!
I have the DWS's. They corner with the best. However, they have a very slight lag with directional changes because of the soft sidewalls. Meaning if you jerk the wheel left and right really quick, there's a very small delay, 1/4 second or so.

Unless you're constantly jerking the wheel left and right, I think you'll be fine with them. With hard constant cornering or even curvy back country roads, you'll be fine.

I had a new set of DWS's on me when I drove back from hunter mountain to brooklyn through the snowstorm that shut down NYC 2 years ago. I made it through the city, driving over sidewalks sometimes because the SNOW PLOWS were stuck on the icy roads. They're about halfway between a winter tire and an all season on packed snow but in the fluff, they have immense void area and rival my set of winter wheels with X-Ice Xi2's on them. I finally got the Xi2's because I drive up to vermont and needed true winter tires for ice.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were u I would get a set of steelies with blizzaks or similar performance snow tire for winter and just run your oem set with performance summers. I lovey blizzaks they will go through anything and handling is amazing car slides when I hit the gas and goes right where I steer it to