Notices

The is it safe to use this mod with this map thread :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The is it safe to use this mod with this map thread :)

OK,

Some of you may have noticed me closing some of the is this mod safe with this map threads recently. Please understand my intention is not berate or talk down to new users but rather to enforce some common sense rules when it comes to modifying your Ralliart.

So, lets start with the GST Base Maps shall we?

Taken directly from post #1 of the thread

What this is:
1. This is for a 100% stock 2009-2010 Lancer Ralliart, stock meaning stock pill, stock intake, stock exhaust, stock everything. (or a stock car with a GST upgraded boost pill and our BaseMap for it)

Now, when the tuner that created the map in question makes a statement like this one it should remove all ambiguity from the end users mind. However, I understand we all want to squeeze the most power out of our cars that we can without hurting things.... so what components affect a tune and how?

Exhaust:
Making a change to the exhaust that results in less back pressure at the turbine can and more than likely will result in a change of the spoolup characteristics of the turbo as well as the boost control duty cycle required to reach and maintain a specific amount of boost. The amount of change you see will depend on the amount of back-pressure you have removed.

Intakes:
Yes, this includes even a simple drop in filter. Making a change to the intake track that alters the flow characteristics across the maf sensor can affect the maf reading even if there is no change in the actual flow rate. Since load is determined based off the maf, map, iat, etc etc a change that affects the mafs ability to measure air flow affects all load based aspects of the tune including but not limited too:
  • boost control
  • timing advance
  • injector pulse width

As was mentioned with the exhaust system, the magnitude of the affect will be dependent on how much the flow characteristics across sensor have changed. Sadly, this is not really something you can determine by looking at the intake or filter etc.

So, we have established that making a hardware change can have an affect on your tune. How about the question that everyone inevitably ends up asking:

Is it safe to run this part with this map?

That question can only be answered by properly installing, logging, and tuning the mod in question and analyzing the data. In many cases the answer is yes, it should be fine. But considering you are talking about your pride and joy here, or at the very least, a 25 to 30 thousand dollar investment, I would think you would want to make 100% sure that shinny new exhaust or cool looking new short ram intake is not going to cause you Ralliart to knock itself into oblivion or run so hot it burns up your cat. Right?

To help get you started in the correct direction, please have a look at the following links for more information regarding tuning and logging:

Evo Ecu Wiki
Ralliart Flashing and logging for beginners

This thread is a work in progress, please check back often and if you have questions / comments / etc shoot me a pm

Last edited by Mad_SB; Mar 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great information. Please be aware, everyone reading, that while using the GST map is the example given here, this applies to any ots map across the board, including AMS's basemaps and Cobb AP tunes, as well as your original OEM stock parameter settings (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ms-intake.html).

It is repeated over and over across the threads being posted that the best route is always better to be safe than sorry, and this is the most true statement that could ever be made when it comes to this sort of thing.

If you have any other information to add that could prove beneficial, please do so as we will be continuing to add whatever we may find.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good to me!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks for this, should get my Tactrix OP 2.0 tomorrow. Better to have as much info available as possible before doing a flash.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good thread, will be very useful
Old Mar 9, 2011, 08:45 AM

do you think the ultimate racing intercooler is safe with the gst tune? im pretty sure its not so i might wait but if i can put it on early i will!

Last edited by nhowar; Apr 13, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:37 PM

OK, so I hate to be one to ask the question, but will this mod work with this tune? lol

Just wondering if putting an evo x bov in with the GST+boost pill tune will effect it in any way? I'm thinking it shouldn't as it would just hold boost better, but I could be wrong. All threads seems to cover intakes, exhausts FMIC's ect, have not seen any info about a bov upgrade a flash tune. Any help would be great

Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

In simplest terms, EvoX AND Evo IX BPVs are "compatible" with this tune.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:50 PM

Warning: complete newbie alert! (Also, I get to be the second person to ask the exact question in the thread title...)

I am very new to this, and have been lurking around here and ClubRalliart trying to soak up as much information as possible, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I am trying to make sure the parts I am about to order will work with the GST map, and I don't quite know how to parse the map names. The map that corresponds to the mods I'm doing is: "Stock RA + BoostPill upgrade + TBE + AEM Intake"

So, I found the AEM intake and added that to my list, but does it matter who I get the exhaust system from? I was planning on getting the rest of the parts from AMS (TBE, boostpill), and I believe that should work, but I would love someone to confirm.

Thanks!

Other notes: I have read a lot of threads about the GST pill vs. the AMS pill, and most seem to agree they are essentially the same, but if people think it matters that much, I'm not opposed to taking a little effort to order it from GST instead. Also, I am definitely planning to do logging and testing, no matter what!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

All the boost pills are the same: tiny metal tictac with an even smaller hole drilled in it. Any of them for the 2009-present Ralliart and/or 2008-present Evo will work; they are all designed to fit in the exact same spot of the exact same boost control solenoid tubing. Basically it acts to 'limit' the amount of psi the solenoid is seeing, tricking it into 'allowing' more WGDC/boost.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:35 AM

sstevojr: Yeah, I was already pretty sure the boost pills were the same (though thanks for confirming), it's mostly the other stuff I'm worried about (the TBE).

Basically, I have a stock RA and I am trying to build a parts list so I can use the GST tune I mentioned above. I would be more than happy to buy the parts that GST actually recommends for this, I just haven't been able to find an exact parts list.

That's the core of my question above -- I just picked AMS since I have heard they had a good reputation for quality, and wanted to make sure the AMS exhaust parts would work properly with the GST basemap.

Edit: Consider my question resolved. Bryan responded to me directly on my thread on ClubRalliart. Just goes to prove how awesome he and GST are at helping in the community. For reference, the thread is here: http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=2734

Thanks!

Last edited by rm_you; Apr 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Reply from Bryan at ClubRalliart
Old Jan 11, 2014, 06:32 PM

If I have a drop in filter, and cat-back exhaust is it safe to just stay with stage 1 Cobb access port map?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rallyrun09
If I have a drop in filter, and cat-back exhaust is it safe to just stay with stage 1 Cobb access port map?
It seems like you have many Cobb related questions, so why not just contact Cobb and get ALL your questions answered instead of posting one question after another here on the forums?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 07:31 PM

I have a question which would suit this area.

Wondering if it safe to do the Evo X swap on my Ralliart. I'm picking up the turbo with all the oil lines etc on the weekend.

My car only has 40,000km (25,000 miles) so don't want to kill my car.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzieralliart
I have a question which would suit this area.

Wondering if it safe to do the Evo X swap on my Ralliart. I'm picking up the turbo with all the oil lines etc on the weekend.

My car only has 40,000km (25,000 miles) so don't want to kill my car.

Thanks
Hi. Your question isn't really a great fit with this thread, as you don't have a ROM tune in mind for your (pretty significant) mechanical change.

It's as safe as...

- The tune you get done to correctly manage your boost control (quite different, once TD05 is on there).
- Tuning of fuel, ignition timing and MIVEC at your new load levels.
- The mechanical workmanship involved in doing the swap sensibly.
- The quality of the TD05 you'll be using.
- Whether you have binned the tiny Ralliart intercooler, in favour of a decent one.

My Ralliart has had an Evo X TD05 on it for about 3 months now. I've kept boost levels quite mild - about 21psi peak, tapering to 16psi at redline - because I'm naturally cautious.

I've found the boost control a bit more wobbly on the new t/c than with the old TD04... and that's with a 3-port.

Manifold air temp is quite a bit lower now at full boost, compared to the overworked TD04 turbo... so the car feels less stressed overall. But, again, I'm not pushing it hard.

Good luck!

Rich

Quick Reply: The is it safe to use this mod with this map thread :)