Notices

Ralliart - Exhaust Droning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart - Exhaust Droning

I recently got the Magnaflow catback exhaust (dual tip) after reading numerous reviews saying this exhaust is one of the quieter exhausts out there with no droning.

However, for some reason, after I installed the exhuast, and driving it for a few weeks, I noticed lots of droning inside my cabin. My friends have noticed this too, and have constantly complained the noise.

Could this be a bad install? If so, what should I look for?

If this is how Magnaflow exhausts are, then should I just get something even more quieter (ie: HKS), or should I keep this and install a resonator?

Any other advice/suggestions you guys can think of?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the rest of your exhaust still stock?

A resonator or mini-muffler is probably the cheapest fix.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

you are not the only one.... i got the magnaflow just because i have my daughter sitting in the back all the time.

I don't have a DP or anything else besides the CBE.

It's getting louder and louder. I can't stand it sometimes when i'm cruising on the highway for 40mins+.

the drone gets annoying...

another res or mini muffler should fix the problem.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by velocityhead
Is the rest of your exhaust still stock?

A resonator or mini-muffler is probably the cheapest fix.
yes, the rest of my exhaust is still stock.

However, I do plan on going TBE in the near future, (which might just make the droning worse). That's why I'm considering replacing the whole thing with something else, like the AMS twin tip.

Anyone know if there's lots of droning in the AMS? or is HKS my only option?

Originally Posted by Slyy
you are not the only one.... i got the magnaflow just because i have my daughter sitting in the back all the time.

I don't have a DP or anything else besides the CBE.

It's getting louder and louder. I can't stand it sometimes when i'm cruising on the highway for 40mins+.

the drone gets annoying...

another res or mini muffler should fix the problem.
glad i'm not the only one with this problem. will look into res or mini muffler and see what the nearest shop charges me for them.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I have a magnaflow CBE for my eclipse and welded a resonator in. I have no drone at all and sounds amazing.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I thought mine droned at first too.

The drone seemed to have disappeared when I replaced the down pipe in my exhaust. I'm still using the stock catalytic converter though.

Freeway speeds 60 - 80 w/ windows open or closed is notably more civilized ever since I installed an Ultimate Racing short down pipe.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

My Magnaflow has also developed some drone. However, it's intermittent. Sometimes it drones, and other times it doesn't. Every once in a while, the drone hits the right harmonic, and my rear package tray buzzes. Other times, my passenger side b-pillar buzzes. Drives me nuts when it happens, but then it stops. Week later, its back. Yesterday my dash buzzed for about 2 minutes, then stopped. It's never done that before...

I think i might pull the package tray out and pull off the b-pillar and put some strategically placed foam tape under them to isolate the plastic parts from the body. That worked like a charm when I dabbled in car audio (turned a pop-can walled Civic into a well sealed bass making machine ). As for that dash rattle, I'll just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't come back. Not an easy fix for that problem.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yahh
I have a magnaflow CBE for my eclipse and welded a resonator in. I have no drone at all and sounds amazing.
I did the same thing. I installed a Magnaflow muffler on my Ralliart and it was a little too loud and had some drone at first, but after I had a Magnaflow 6" resonator welded in, the noise and drone went away and now it sounds perfect! For MAXIMUM noise reduction, you could try using a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator instead, but a 6" long Magnaflow Resonator was enough to do the job for me.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Slee256
I did the same thing. I installed a Magnaflow muffler on my Ralliart and it was a little too loud and had some drone at first, but after I had a Magnaflow 6" resonator welded in, the noise and drone went away and now it sounds perfect! For MAXIMUM noise reduction, you could try using a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator instead, but a 6" long Magnaflow Resonator was enough to do the job for me.
where did you get the resonator?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am planning to use a Hushpower II resonator to quiet down a UR catback. I am glad to hear that a correctly placed resonator made all the difference. That is encouraging.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xDarKnighTx
where did you get the resonator?
Just go to any exhaust shop. They should have it.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I have the Magnaflow catback now and I get no drone on the hwy which I was very happy about.

I do however have a test pipe... with a mini muffler in it (the vibrant ultra quiet resonator). I am sure that makes a big difference.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:32 PM

So i went to Midas today (not sure if its the best place to go to, but its right next to where I work, and I remembered those old George Forman ads where he kept talking about mufflers, so I figured this is a nice place to get my exhaust checked out), and the exhaust guy there said because the magnaflow mid-pipe isn't straight, its gonna be tough to get a resonator welded in there.

So we ended up calling magnaflow tech support to see if they got any suggestions. They pointed out to 3 resonators they sell, with their part #:

4" - 14419
5" - 14867
6" - 14619

The midas guy thinks the 6" won't fit, as it'll hit a bolt on the passenger-side of the exhaust. also because my car is lowered (by 1", using swift lowering springs), it might scrape the floor. They suggested that I should probably just look for another catback exhaust if I want the droning gone.

So Slee256, did you have any fitment problems when you installed the 6" magnaflow resonator?

Anyone have any other exhaust systems suggestions that doesn't really drone as much and still decent performance-wise?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
You can easily fit the vibrant "bullet style" resonators in the mid pipe, they are much lower profile then the Magnaflow resonators.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xDarKnighTx
So i went to Midas today (not sure if its the best place to go to, but its right next to where I work, and I remembered those old George Forman ads where he kept talking about mufflers, so I figured this is a nice place to get my exhaust checked out), and the exhaust guy there said because the magnaflow mid-pipe isn't straight, its gonna be tough to get a resonator welded in there.

So we ended up calling magnaflow tech support to see if they got any suggestions. They pointed out to 3 resonators they sell, with their part #:

4" - 14419
5" - 14867
6" - 14619

The midas guy thinks the 6" won't fit, as it'll hit a bolt on the passenger-side of the exhaust. also because my car is lowered (by 1", using swift lowering springs), it might scrape the floor. They suggested that I should probably just look for another catback exhaust if I want the droning gone.

So Slee256, did you have any fitment problems when you installed the 6" magnaflow resonator?

Anyone have any other exhaust systems suggestions that doesn't really drone as much and still decent performance-wise?
Keep in mind, my Magnaflow exhaust is a rear axle-back exhaust that was custom-made for me by Mike at RRE(Road Race Engineering). I also ordered the Magnaflow 6" resonator model #14149 from RRE a few weeks after getting the exhaust installed, and then I just went to a local exhaust shop in my area and had them weld it in and it fit fine. Here's a link:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=14149

Last edited by Slee256; Aug 23, 2011 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Ralliart - Exhaust Droning